Angel On My Shoulder

-Sentimental-

I *think* this is the right place, but please move if not :D

Anyway, was flicking through the tv and stumbled on Smash Hits doing a countdown of the '20 worst songs of 2007' so far and Gareth's 'Angel On My Shoulder' had been voted at number 5. :unsure: and I figured you may, or may not, want to know.

I can't remember properly, I stopped watching after AOMS. Although I do know Natasha Bedingfield's 'I wanna have your babies' was number 1. It also included Girls Aloud vs Sugababes (Walk This Way), Joss Stone's new one (Don't know the name), Flying The Flag (That Eurovision Song, was number 2 or 3), Robbie Willians (That one about Madonna). There were all in the top 10 somewhere.

Please be careful if you do email. Gareth has come under criticism lately for his fans over-reacting to things. Make sure you focus on why you think it's a good song, and wish they'd played it more - not giving them a hard time for it. It won't encourage them to play his music in the future.

And when you see the other acts listed, it looks a lot better. Still wish they'd had the decency to play the video in the first place! I think there are only a few people in the office, so it's very subjective.

Even if we did email them, which I have no intention to, they'd probably just laugh in our faces. At the end of the day. Gareth wasn't the only person in the chart, and there were 4 other songs classed as worse, so that's one of the points they'd use against us.

Like eternal said, at least it's been played. There may be viewers out there that were paying no attention to what the countdown was and were simply listening for the music, and may have liked Gareth. Sometimes, these so-called 'Top 20 worse whatevers' etc can work in favour of the artist, because that same channel is giving it airplay.

EDIT: Does that actually make any sense??

It makes perfect sense Sentimental.

My take on it is this. The way things have been with Gareth's comeback videos on the Music Channels, it doesn't seem the people in control of the channel are prepared to include him on the playlist. So to me this including AOMS in charts such as this is the only way the lesser people are able to play him. At least this way they are getting him played, even if it is only once or twice.

This is not somethng new with Smash Hits. For the last two years, they've only been able to play any Gareth track if they've been included in these special feature programs, eg: worse No1, worse comebacks, reality TV real winners, and so on. It is a total injustice that the tracks are not being played more often and included on playlists, but it does seem to me that at least they are trying to play the songs when they can. Its the people in authority, or whoever they get their instructions from who are to blame. There is no question in my mind that someone doesn't want Gareth to succeed.

It makes perfect sense Sentimental.

My take on it is this. The way things have been with Gareth's comeback videos on the Music Channels, it doesn't seem the people in control of the channel are prepared to include him on the playlist. So to me this including AOMS in charts such as this is the only way the lesser people are able to play him. At least this way they are getting him played, even if it is only once or twice.

This is not somethng new with Smash Hits. For the last two years, they've only been able to play any Gareth track if they've been included in these special feature programs, eg: worse No1, worse comebacks, reality TV real winners, and so on. It is a total injustice that the tracks are not being played more often and included on playlists, but it does seem to me that at least they are trying to play the songs when they can. Its the people in authority, or whoever they get their instructions from who are to blame. There is no question in my mind that someone doesn't want Gareth to succeed.

I don't think that it is just Gareth who is being singled out - we are only aware of this bias because we know and love him - but this is also happening to other artists as well. Eternal posted a really good article recently (in General Music section) about how downloading being included in the charts is not having the expected effect because of the influence of g/map and e/map who are the people in control of what is heard on the radio and on the music channels. This means that the charts are not an accurate reflection of what is popular today because we are not hearing all that is on offer.

I know this doesn't change anything but it helped me to understand the situation more clearly to know that other artists must be struggling to be heard as well, however unfair that is.

Eternal posted a really good article recently (in General Music section) about how downloading being included in the charts is not having the expected effect because of the influence of g/map and e/map who are the people in control of what is heard on the radio and on the music channels. This means that the charts are not an accurate reflection of what is popular today because we are not hearing all that is on offer.

I didn't know this. The music industry is so infuriatingly arghhhhh!

I have often noticed that the music channels regularly feature Gareth in their special features. Including best,worst,youngest etc. I suppose a play is a play and I doubt many people take too much notice as long as they like what they hear!