Gareth on Irish TV (Late, Late Show)

Floz

From the news section of the OS

To all those great Irish fans! We have a treat for you! Gareth will be appearing on The Late Late Show in Ireland on Friday 12 October. He will be on the show talking about his work with The Maguire Programme. The show (filmed in Dublin) will be on screen that evening from 9.30pm.

Heres what it says

To all those great Irish fans! We have a treat for you! Gareth will be appearing on The Late Late Show in Ireland on Friday 12 October. He will be on the show talking about his work with The Maguire Programme. The show (filmed in Dublin) will be on screen that evening from 9.30pm.

Guest GarethsHotChick

Thank You for posting that up Floz and for typing up what the news on the OS was Maria, It's much appreciated. I hope Gareth has a GREAT time being interviewed in Dublin for his irish fans. And I hope they enjoy seeing him on tv over there. :smile:

No Val, it looks like only the Irish people can watch it online live, we have to wait until they upload the highlights. :unsure:

Yes, unfortunately, I think you're right Khelda. The program is on for almost 2 and a half hours, so we're going to have a long wait yet I fear :mellow:

Sharon has posted this fantastic report on OS. I'm sure she won't mind it being brought over here. She never has in the past :smile:

It was a fantastic show! Gareth spoke really fluently and was very charming. He seems to have been very well recieved by anyone I've met who watched him, even my mother said "he was acutally very good", she seemed quite surprised about that as did most people I've asked about it.

They played a clip of him way back at the first Pop Idol audition to highlight how far Gareth had come with his stammer, the entire interview was focused mainly on the stammer. Gareth mentioned that the reason he could sing but not speak was confusing for him as well, but it's probably because when you're singing you breathe in a different way (costal breathing I think which they are taught to do on the program) and that he also sort of adopted a different persona when he sings... he's Gareth Gates the singer, not Gareth Gates the person. He mentioned how when he was younger he'd write little rhymes to get out the words he wanted and how he found a release in music, because he could express himself. He also spoke of how his father was lucky and he grew out of his stammer.

Pat Kenny, the presenter, mentioned that Gareth was actually a funny guy and Gareth agreed with him, lol, saying he's the funniest of his friends. He said in the past he couldn't keep up with the witty banter as by the time he got out his comment the conversation would have moved on, so that was frustrating for him. He also said it was difficult for him in the public eye because he couldn't show his personality.

They also showed a woman who entered the Rose of Tralee who had done the Mc Guire program Gareth instructed last year and she was speaking rather well and Gareth said she'd come on a lot. Then they showed a man who had done the Mc Guire program after 40 years of stammering and finding nothing that worked, he was plugging a new book he wrote.

Gareth said how everyone on the program refers to themself as a recovering stammerer, rather than a recovered stammerer, that it's not a cure, that it's something you have to want and really work at. He also mentioned how in the past he'd have to avoid different words to avoid stammering... such as if he wanted a banana in a shop, instead of saying the word banana he'd ask for that "long thin yellow fruit" or something like that.

He also spoke of cancelling out things... like going back to an event you couldn't do in the past due to your stammer and then doing it, just to prove to yourself you could. He said his being on the show was a cancelling experience, that when he was last on the Late Late he just performed. He had been asked if he wanted to do an interview on that occassion but he declined because he wouldn't have been able for it... so he came back on now that he was improved to prove to himself he could and to cancel out the negative experience, replacing it with a positive one.

They also showed the five potential Mr Ireland's who were these huge body builders and Pat Kenny jokingly remarked that himself & Gareth were just like them... and Gareth joked that he'd gladly take any of them on in arm wrestling lol.

That's all I can really remember! They didn't much speak of his music, he mentioned that he'd a new album out now but no clips of it were played or anything, which was a pity! Gareth was really good though, he did well.

What a great report. Thank you.

It's a shame there was very little about his music but it is obviousy important to Gareth to be able to go back into these situations and do something he passed on before, and I'm really pleased that it sounds like Gareth was really given the opportunity to explain things fully, and bringing in the other stories about other McGuire people is fantastic too.

While loads of people asked Gareth about his speech in his recent promotion, he rarely got to go into it all in so much detail, in particular being able to make it so clear that the work isn't over for him.

I hope this sets him, and all the Irish McGuire people up for their course in Galway next month. It should be good. :heart: