Gareth Gates Joins Stiles & Drewe Concert Line-up

Gareth Gates Joins Stiles & Drewe Concert Line-up

Date: 11th June 2008

Gareth Gates (pictured), the runner-up on the first Pop Idol and more recently seen on ITV’s Dancing on Ice, will join a roll call of West End stars for the one-off concert celebrating 25 years of the British musical writing partnership of George Stiles and Anthony Drewe. The charity gala, titled A Spoonful of Stiles & Drewe, takes place at the West End’s Her Majesty’s Theatre on Sunday 6 July 2008.

Gates will perform a preview of material from Soho Cinders, the new musical by Stiles & Drewe, whose writing credits include the Olivier Award winning Honk!, Peter Pan, Just So, and the new material in Mary Poppins.

Gates commented: “I’ve always been into the theatre and going to musicals, and often imagined myself being part of an amazing West End production, so I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to get involved with A Spoonful of Stiles & Drewe. As well as admiring George Stiles and Anthony Drewe for everything they’ve achieved in the industry, I can’t wait to get a taste of what life in the theatre’s all about.”

Others due to perform on the night include: Olivier Award winners Joanna Riding, Clive Rowe and Leanne Jones – who won this year’s Best Actress in a Musical prize for Hairspray at the both the Oliviers and the Whatsonstage.com Awards – along with Helena Blackman, Daniel Boys and cast members from Wicked and Mary Poppins.

A Spoonful of Stiles & Dreweis produced by Neil Eckersley and Paul Spicer for Speckulation Entertainment with creative direction by Paul Spicer, associate direction by Chris Hocking, musical supervision by George Stiles, musical direction by David Randall, choreography by Lewis Butler, associate choreography by Rebecca Giacopazzi and sound design by Mark Dunne. It’s staged in support of Mercury Musical Developments.

http://www.whatsonstage.com/index.php?pg=2...=E8821213185763

Not sure if this been posted anywhere as couldn't check because of offica boards beening down. But this is the first I have heard about this.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for posting , that is fabulous news :smile: It is now on Gareth's Myspace and Gareth's Facebook :smile:

06 Jul 2008, 19:30

Haymarket,, London, London and South East SW1

Cost : See below

Speckulation Entertainment presents A SPOONFUL OF STILES & DREWE Her Majesty’s Theatre, Haymarket, London SW1 Sunday 6 July 2008 – 7.30pm Tickets: £20.00 - £45.00 VIP Seats: £100.00 including a Premium Stalls seat and after-show party pass Box Office: 0844 412 4657 http://www.seetickets.com/see/event.asp?e|...filler2=website

Here is another link :smile:

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/new...l-of-West-End-/

Brilliant!

It just came through to me on a couple of google alerts, so it must be very new news. :D

I note Gareth is to be singing some material from a new musical. I wonder if there is any significance in that?

I agree that this is brilliant news , and was wondering if Gareth maybe going to be in the new musical Soho Cinders ? :smile:

A little quote from Gareth here in the Stage News

Gareth Gates to make West End debut

Published Wednesday 11 June 2008 at 14:40 by Alistair Smith

Former Pop Idol finalist Gareth Gates is to make his West End debut next month in a gala show celebrating the work of musical theatre composers George Stiles and Anthony Drewe. The pop singer will perform a song from Soho Cinders, the brand new show from the Mary Poppins-composing duo. He will join Olivier Award-winning Hairspray actress Leanne Jones, as well as fellow Olivier winners Joanna Riding and Clive Rowe, How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria? finalist Helena Blackman and Avenue Q’s Daniel Boys.

Gates told The Stage: “I’m a real fan of musical theatre and have always wanted to perform in the West End. I’m busy in rehearsals with George and Anthony at the moment and to get the chance to work with them on songs from their latest show is a dream come true for me. I’m looking forward to performing them in front of a West End audience.”

A Spoonful of Stiles and Drewe will play at Her Majesty’s Theatre on July 6, for one night only.

Thanks for posting up the picture Snowdrop. They've added the news to Gareth's Facebook page now and have included the picture.

I agree that this is brilliant news , and was wondering if Gareth maybe going to be in the new musical Soho Cinders ? :smile:

I'd say it's a fair possibility that he's considering it (and they are considering him, lol). One thing I think we can assume is that if Gareth is doing this show, he has been rubbing shoulders with theatre types, and by virtue of doing the show, he'll be rubbing shoulders with a whole load more. You can be sure the audience will have a lot of key people from the industry there. So anyone going had better behave! :tongue:

I'm so excited about this! I am definitely going to be there to support him, and if he does go on to get the part, it will be even more wonderful. Gareth will be able to show people just how far his talents extend. I'm crossing everything for him!

Wow, how exciting this is! Gareth singing again. Maybe he took a new route to pursue his dream!

Gates told The Stage: “I’m a real fan of musical theatre and have always wanted to perform in the West End. I’m busy in rehearsals with George and Anthony at the moment and to get the chance to work with them on songs from their latest show is a dream come true for me. I’m looking forward to performing them in front of a West End audience.”
£100.00 including a Premium Stalls seat and after-show party pass

Lovely for people who can afford this (its for charity, so in a good cause), must be great to party with Gareth. :laugh:

Lovely for people who can afford this (its for charity, so in a good cause), must be great to party with Gareth. :laugh:

out of just curiosity,do you think gareth would definitly attend this aftershow party? cos i remember at that awards thing in wolverhmpton he didnt stay for the aftershow party

im thinking theres a bigger chance for him to go to this one though as the thing itself is for charity and hes not as busy as he was back then plus he dont have to travel back to london as hes already there

i must say this is wonderful news though :smile: im so pleased for him that he can show his amazing talent once again

I think there is a fair chance he'd hang around for it. If this is a charity fundraiser and people can specifically buy tickets that give them access to a backstage event, then there will be a certain obligation to hang around, which I'm sure he'd want to anyway, as it's mainly for the people involved with the production, not for the audience. The thing in Wolverhampton was different. The aftershow party wasn't for the performers, but for the people attending. It would have been wierd if Gareth decided to join in with that - apart from him having a long way to travel home, lol.

Interesting post on the OS from a poster.

I work in theatre,and this event has been being talked about for a LONG time,so for Gareth to have been asked is a huge honour.

A lot of important people will be there im sure.

Its huge for him.

I'm very very proud.x

Sounds very promising for Gareth. :thumbsup: