Gareth Gates Joins Stiles & Drewe Concert Line-up

Thank you Snowdrop. I've left my comment on there. Some of the articles are saying he will sing a song, and others are saying he will showcase the songs. I know which version I prefer!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for posting that. :smile: And thanks for the pic as well. Great news after the long pause after DOI. :hyper:

I'm afraid I won't be able to go there, but I hope someone put some videos up and post some reports on the boards. :thumbsup:

x

A post on OS from the girl who works in the theatre business is posting this today. :frantics:

Not sure if its been posted already, but Gareth's involvement in this is on the front page of the Stage newspaper this week, and last time I checked it was the top story on their website

http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.p...-west-end-debut

I love that song, and you are right Heather, I can hear Gareth singing it too, and it would be even better if he would play the piano as well.

What about the lyrics though, they could be appropriate to Gareth too in some ways. :smile:

I think `I Wish, I wish' and `Let Him Go' would both fit Gareth's voice perfectly.

Totally agree Val, like the last song too, not as much as 'I wish' mind.

But I really wonder if Gareth might perform them with him playing the piano?

I know in the actual musical those songs are suppose to be guitar based (read it in the interview). :D

But I really wonder if Gareth might perform them with him playing the piano?

I know in the actual musical those songs are suppose to be guitar based (read it in the interview). :D

I think it's a good song, but at risk of stating the obvious, that arrangement s incredibly musical theatre, lol. The piano is all a bit jazz hands, which I'm not so keen on. In that respect, I'm glad they have decided to try to make it a bit more contemporary by using guitar. Mind you, I do love the piano, just that's a wee bit plinky plonky for my tastes. Can't you tell I'm an expert at these things!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Obviously that was recorded as a demo, and the person singing is one of the writers, and that might just be how they play and sing. I'm hopeful that by recruiting Gareth this indicates a desire to have it sung in a fresher, pop style. I'm sure the final arrangement, even if it did include piano, would always be something a bit different anyway. :thumbsup:

I think it's a good song, but at risk of stating the obvious, that arrangement s incredibly musical theatre, lol.

I agree with you Snowdrop.

I Wish is definitely the best of the three songs.

I wonder if they're employing Gareth just for this show on July 6th? Apparently Gareth's not on the cast list.

Whatever songs Gareth sings, he makes his own , with his own unique style, so I'm sure the end result will be great. It is interesting that some papers are reporting that Gareth will sing a song, and others are saying he will showcase the musical songs. I do hope he is singing more than one song.

Great news that Gareth will be taking his first steps on the west end stage. It will be a great opportunity to showcase himself to key people and hopefully it will lead to him gettng a lead role in big musical

The new musical he is showcasing seems to be a sort of gay version of Cinderalla. I don't know if Gareth is in the frame for starring in the musical but it would be fun to see him taking on a gay role and imagine what Will Young would say :laugh: I like the fact that Gareth's first experience of musicals is something new and quite bold. It is a risk for Gareth but he has always been about challenging himself and this will be a great experience for him (whether he does the musical or not). The demo songs sound quite good especially I wish but the final versions will I am sure sound very different.

I can't wait to hear Gareth singing the songs! I wonder if he will just sing on his own or will be sing with the rest of the cast (Gareth might even do a bit of dancing :smile:)

I like the fact that Gareth's first experience of musicals is something new and quite bold. It is a risk for Gareth but he has always been about challenging himself and this will be a great experience for him (whether he does the musical or not)

I absolutely agree with you Gazman. If Gareth could get this part, it would be some achievement for him.

As for the part itself, its one thing almost playing yourself in a role, but quite a lot more challenging for a heterosexual to take on the role of a gay man. If he could pull that off and I'm sure he could, it would do his career a power of good.

I personally would much prefer him to make his debut in a new show, where there would be no opportunity for the press to compare him with someone who'd previously taken on the part.

I personally would much prefer him to make his debut in a new show, where there would be no opportunity for the press to compare him with someone who'd previously taken on the part.

/quote]

I've been thinking about this one a lot over the past few days and have come to the same conclusion. If he got a part in a highly successful musical and got bad reviews then it would be much more difficult to recover.

It would be good if he got a role in this one but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm in mixed minds about whether a new role is better than an established one. The most important thing is that the role is a good role that suits him in a good musical. If it's an established musical, the odds are it is good, and hopefully Gareth, his team and the casting team would make sure it suited him. With a new musical, there's a lot more left to chance, but there is no doubt that if it all works, it would be better. Perhaps they can tell us if it's any good or if it's going to be popular? :tongue:

With a new musical, there's a lot more left to chance, but there is no doubt that if it all works, it would be better. Perhaps they can tell us if it's any good or if it's going to be popular? :tongue:

I guess if it's not popular then it could be bad for Gareth especially if he has an important part in it, then he would be associated with failure and you can just guess at the media coverage of that......but then he's got to start somewhere if he wants to make it in the West End but we don't want him to be Gone With The Wind. :fear:

I wonder if they're employing Gareth just for this show on July 6th? Apparently Gareth's not on the cast list.

Have you a link to the cast list, please?

I wonder if Gareth will sing ' I wish I wish ' from Soho Cinders , I have just listened and could well imagine Gareth singing this , scroll down until you see 'click here to listen to a piano demo of the song '

http://www.stilesanddrewe.co.uk/about_us_i...ho_cinders.html

I have listened to this song a few times now and I agree, it will certainly suit Gareth' voice.