Gareth Gates Joins Stiles & Drewe Concert Line-up

I can't remember where I saw it now, but will have another look when I have more time and post the link up when I find it.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if this is relevant to this thread as Gareth is not confirmed in the cast, but I thought this an interesting article from The Guardian this week.

Click here to view the article

Whilst a slightly negative article, it does demonstrate how the theatre is having to change to put 'bums on seats' and recoup money for the costs of production, by choosing well known celebrities, for certain roles. I think this is a reply to Jonathan Miller who was cross at David Tennant being comissioned for a certain role.(I don't think the last two paragraphs are relevant to the article).

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read the article about David Tennant, but what it failed to accept was that before he was a family favourite in the form of Doctor Who, David had a lot of experience of doing Shakespeare in substantial productions. That journalist had fallen into the very trap he was moaning about by not bothering to notice him when he was an unknown. :tongue:

I have no doubt that producers, backers and those involved with promoting a stage production knows that a famous name will get the production more publicity than it would otherwise have got. Mind you, the same goes for cinema and tv. Nevertheless, producers and directors are always at pains to say they wouldn't let anyone have the role unless they were suitable. I'm sure there are some exceptions (I still can't believe they let Kelly Osborne in Chicago), but on the whole they have to think you have something other than an ability to get invited onto This Morning to talk about it.

I recently watched the episode of "The Passions of Girls Aloud" where Kimberly wanted to appear in Les Miserables. I think the idea was that she'd get some specific theatre training, audition, then she might get the role for a night. I thought she did pretty well, but she wasn't quite good enough, so she got to sing one song as part of the chorus, and then after the curtain call, they announced she'd be singing the big song as a stand alone. It meant she got to fulfil her dream, but without compromising the intergrity of the show. It's not a criticism of Kimberly. I always thought she was the weakest singer in Girls Aloud, but she still did a lot better than I was expecting. However, despite being in a girl band that gets loads and loads of headlines, they didn't want to take any real risk with her. Of course it could be argued that Les Miserables is a very well known show that has no problems selling tickets and doesn't need a famous name to give it publicity. Especially as half the audience were probably American tourists who wouldn't have a clue who she was anyway. :tongue:

As for the cast list. I saw it and thought it odd that Gareth wasn't mentioned, but then I realised it must have been published before Gareth's role was announced. I thought it was for the Stiles and Drewe concert, not any forthcoming musical, so I don't think it has any significance.

I think all musical theatre is risky, especially a newshow.

Gone With the Wind didn't last very long. Darius was in that and he got good reviews but the show did not, so poor Darius. Hope he finds something else.

It might be better if Gareth took on an established role. There are some great songs in Les Miserables that would suit Gareth's voice, but then I suppose it is not fair to others who are struggling to establish themselves in musical theatre.

I do not know. Wonder if Gareth should go back to opera??????

I do not know. Wonder if Gareth should go back to opera??????

I think its far too early to think along those lines. We have to wait and see first how the show will go, and also what news we might then get about the other projects Gareth is planning on doing.

:D I am sure he knows what he is doing.

For Gareth to do opera, he'd need to train first, and that takes years. I'm not sure it's something he'd want to do now. Years of singing pop/rock would have to be totally untrained. I'm not sure I'd want that either, lol. I'm selfish like that.

In his book, Gareth said that he wouldn't want to do opera until his late thirties, so it looks like it won't happen yet. Having said that, he has a busy year we are told, so I think it's very exciting waiting to hear about his new projects.

I recently watched the episode of "The Passions of Girls Aloud" where Kimberly wanted to appear in Les Miserables. I think the idea was that she'd get some specific theatre training, audition, then she might get the role for a night. I thought she did pretty well, but she wasn't quite good enough, so she got to sing one song as part of the chorus, and then after the curtain call, they announced she'd be singing the big song as a stand alone. It meant she got to fulfil her dream, but without compromising the intergrity of the show. It's not a criticism of Kimberly. I always thought she was the weakest singer in Girls Aloud, but she still did a lot better than I was expecting. However, despite being in a girl band that gets loads and loads of headlines, they didn't want to take any real risk with her. Of course it could be argued that Les Miserables is a very well known show that has no problems selling tickets and doesn't need a famous name to give it publicity. Especially as half the audience were probably American tourists who wouldn't have a clue who she was anyway

I would like to have seen this myself. Isn't it strange how I love a lot of Girls Aloud's music and yet I could never imagine any of them performing in theatre, let alone Les Miserables.

Back to Gareth's appearance. It was interesting to see some of the creditations from the Who's Who HERE

It would seem a huge opportunity for Gareth to be appearing and involved in a production by this man The Producer.

Looking forward to meeting a few more of Gareth's fans this time around :smile:

I'm going too :hyper:

It would be great if anyone going could meet up for a meal or a drink prior to the show.

Has anyone got any recommendations of a nice bar/bistro close to the theatre, or does the theatre itself have a nice bar, does anyone know?

Great news that Gareth will be taking his first steps on the west end stage. It will be a great opportunity to showcase himself to key people and hopefully it will lead to him gettng a lead role in big musical

The new musical he is showcasing seems to be a sort of gay version of Cinderalla. I don't know if Gareth is in the frame for starring in the musical but it would be fun to see him taking on a gay role and imagine what Will Young would say :laugh: I like the fact that Gareth's first experience of musicals is something new and quite bold. It is a risk for Gareth but he has always been about challenging himself and this will be a great experience for him (whether he does the musical or not). The demo songs sound quite good especially I wish but the final versions will I am sure sound very different.

I can't wait to hear Gareth singing the songs! I wonder if he will just sing on his own or will be sing with the rest of the cast (Gareth might even do a bit of dancing :smile:)

Just noticed you saying that you cant wait to hear Gareth singing, does that mean you are also going to the concert Gazman?

I'm going too :hyper:

It would be great if anyone going could meet up for a meal or a drink prior to the show.

Has anyone got any recommendations of a nice bar/bistro close to the theatre, or does the theatre itself have a nice bar, does anyone know?

I am not sure if we get there in time to have something to eat, but I would love to see everyone if there is a break (or maybe before it starts), that would be great. :D

I was trying to find a bar in the theatre and came upon a theatre plan. Click Here :thumbsup: (Just a bit concerned that the lady at the booking office offered me row N in the stalls and there doesn't seem to be one) :unsure:

Please note that I have put a link to the wrong theatre here. For the correct one please refer to Khelda's link. I am leaving it in so that the rest of the the thread can still be understood. Sorry for the confusion.

I wonder why the first plan shows a break in the middle of the seats, and the second one does not. We are seated in row J.

I wonder why the first plan shows a break in the middle of the seats, and the second one does not. We are seated in row J.

They look like two different theatres plans to me. The Stiles & Drewe concert is in Her Majesty's Theatre isn't it :unsure:

Eternal Are you sure that you are booked into the right theatre?

The first plan is for the Theatre Royal Haymarket.

Gareth is appearing at Her Majesty's in the Haymarket on 6 July

OMG I thought the booking was too well.

Just off to check.

Edits to say that I have checked and it is the correct one. (I was talking to the lady about how well the show is selling so I knew deep down that I had booked the right one, but I doubted myself). I have put an explanation in the thread expaling my wrong link.

Apologies to everyone.

pheww time for a stiff brandy, I think.

I have to say I am getting real excited about this, being able to hear Gareth :heart: sing again, and I mean really hear, being in a theatre the audience is of course nice behaved and quiet during the performances. So we will be able to really hear Gareth voice, it will be bliss. And of course we will cheer loudly when he is finished singing.

There probably will be important people in the audience, who knows what Gareth might get offered after this concert. Best behave myself. :laugh:

Not long now, hope to be able to say hi to everyone who is going. :frantics:

Tickets have arrived today so real worry over.

I am so looking forward to this now.

Best behave myself
I hope you don't do anything but.

I do think this will be a real different experience. With the quietness of the audience in the theatre, just imagine Gareth on stage playing a piano and singing 'I Wish'. I know sometimes at a concert there may be somone shouting out so you can't hear the songs. This quietness is going to be exquisite.

Today I received our tickets to the after show party. It is being held at Mint Leaf from 10pm until 1pm. It is rsvp to Amy heath, so I have emailed her. Hope you have all got yours too.