Stiles & Drewes CD

Val4Gareth

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seen this brilliant review on Amazon about the cd. :thumbsup:

A musical treat, 3 Jan 2009

Stiles & Drewe are two of Britain's most successful musical theatre composers and this CD brings together a collection of their best songs, especially highlighting their talent for humour in their writing. This is a live recording but the quality of the production and the standard of the performances from a cast of West End stars mean you would never know if it wasn't for the audience applause. The highlight of the CD is the chance to hear songs from their upcoming original musical Soho Cinders, especially the beautiful Wishing For The Normal. Gareth Gates really shines in the lead role, leaving his reality TV beginnings far behind him - I hope we get the chance to see him perform when the show is properly staged.

What a lovely review! I'm still waiting for mine to come, I've ordered it, but not here yet.

That is a great review :smile: Gareth really does shine on the CD. I was a liitle unsure when I first heard about Gareth doing Musicals but WOW he is brilliant on the Stiles & Drewe CD singing Live and I am sure he will be equally as brilliant in Joseph.

Mine arrived today, and just managed to hear a bit of Gareth. His voice sounds so beautiful!

Figaro posted yesterday Gareth's OS

If you haven't heard Gareth perform on A Spoonful Of Stiles & Drewe CD, there are now 2 samples added (for a limited time only) for your listening pleasure on Gareth's myspace page.

A Spoonful Of Stiles & Drewe official facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Spoonful-o...ewe/42578854445

Fig x

It's great that we can hear the 2 clips on Gareth's Myspace :thumbsup:

I am embarrassed to admit that, while I got my CD a couple of weeks ago, I only listened to it for the first time last night. But what a joy. Glass Slippers and Gypsys of the Ether are amazing in particular.

Great that there are a couple of clips up too

Gareth is getting some praise for his part on this theatre website. By that I mean they are saying nice things about his songs and "being pleasantly surprised" and not being rude as might be expected of a pop star moving into their territory, lol.

I don't know if it was planned, but Gareth's appearance in the Stiles & Drewe gala will help him to be accepted as someone to be taken seriously. I'm sure there will still be a few grumbles, but having the endorsement of the people behind this show will help a fair portion to be more open minded. :thumbsup:

Funny that people seem surprised about Gareth being such a good singer. :unsure:

It is, isn't it? Unfortunately a lot of people have that assumption, which I can only put down to them having never heard him for themsleves, but having heard that people like us just voted for Gareth because we felt sorry for him or some other tabloid conspiracy that spilled out into the population. Either that, or music snob who simply don't expect 'pop stars' to be able to cut it outside of the studio - with the assumption that it's all down to computers.

It's not isolated to musical theatre types. I remember when Gareth was doing acoustic performances to promote POTOS, quite a few people he met appeared to be taken aback by just how well he sang. I think it's such a shame that the issue of Gareth's credibility as a singer was never addressed earlier on in his career, but the powers that be didn't seem to think it mattered, so it's hardly surprising what happened.

Still, it's great that people are now willing to say how good he is - whether or not they were surprised. :tongue:

Here's a great review from the album from someone who (amongst other things) is surprised by how good Gareth is! :laugh:

I think they make a good point about Wishing for the Normal being a tricky song to sing too. *Read here*

That is a brilliant review by someone who seems to have a wide knowledge of music.

It sure is a joy to read.

Still, it's great that people are now willing to say how good he is - whether or not they were surprised.

When we attended Cinderella there was a guy sat behind me with his partner and young family. During the interval he was talking of the "X-Factor types" (this is where I strained to listen to what he was saying) and he went on to say that he hadn't really got time for any of it, but how surprised (and pleasantly too) what an "Amazing Voice" Gareth had. His singing just a few songs had definitely changed this guy's opinion.

A bonus on the way out was another guy, when praising the whole production, singled out Gareth's voice as being surprisingly very good. Yet another opinion changed :thumbsup: