A Spoonful of Stiles & Drewe

Snowdrop

I know that the amazon orders of this have been delayed, so I feel a bit guilty about getting my copy and talking about it, so sorry. :whistle:

I've not listened to it in full yet. I started with the Soho Cinders songs. :frantics: :wub:

First things first: The booklet

There is some text from Toerge and Ants at the beginning, including this extract:

Our all-star line-up featured many of our oldest and dearest friend, together with a host of welcome additions to our "family". For George, who led the evening from the piano, one of the great thrills of the night was to have a fabulous live band on stage with him - not just a rocking rhythm section, but also a luscious string octet!

The CD features songs from all of the musicals we have written together, as well as a sneak preview of some of the new shows we're writing. There are six tracks from our forthcoming Soho Cinders, featuring the wonderful Gareth Gates with the full company, as well as some of our cabaret songs - so there are many world premiere recordings to enjoy.

Included in the booklet are all of the usual credits, as well as some really great photos. Whoever was taking them did an excellent job of capturing flattering shots of them mid-song that captures their emotions. Not an easy task, and Gareth is looking particularly gorgeous. In fact, it's one of the nicest shots I've seen of him in a long time. :wub:

Overall

From what I've heard so far the quality is fantastic for a live recording. It's a credit to the cast and sound people that they have such a good, clear recording. They must have taken the microphon feeds, because you can't really hear the audience except at the end for applause. You get a hint of the laughter during songs like It's Hard to Tell, but for the most part, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a studio recording.

Soho Cinders

This is the new musical that they previewed starring Gareth. They've included six songs from it, five of which feature Gareth, although there isn't that much of Gareth in one of those. On the night there was a song called Old Compton Street, which hasn't made the final cut, but there wasn't much of Gareth in that anyway, lol.

You really get to hear the quality in Gareth's voice on this CD and the songs, in particular, Glass Slippers show off his fabulous range, tone and control wonderfully. It's funny listening to It's Hard to Tell because you wouldn't know that there was any dancing going on, or anyone else on stage other than Gareth and Leanne Jones. There is a bit where I imagine Gareth is concentrating very hard on those sexy dance moves! :laugh:

Listening properly to Wishing for the Normal you can hear how well Gareth and Leanne work together on what I think might be tricky harmonies. There are a lot of great singers who struggle singing counter harmonies like that, and this is where Gareth's experience in Bradford Cathedral Choir will pay off. If I remember correctly, he was in charge or doing arrangements. :thumbsup:

Of the four songs featuring Gareth, Gypsies of the Ether was probably my least favourite on the night. It's a lower key style of song (rather than musically, lol). It is very gorgeous, but I felt it lacked a bit of structure on first listen, and people weren't too sure when it had finished, lol. However, getting to hear it again in full clarity, it is absolutely gorgeous. Gareth is singing with Oliver Tompsett who has a very good voice too and the contrast with Gareth's is interesting. Oliver has what you might describe as a more traditional "stage school" type of voice, whereas Gareth's is warmer and has more individual character. :wub:

The other two songs from the Soho Cinders bit are I'm So Over Men, which is a rather cheeky, but very funny song sung by their own Ugly Sisters, and then what I assume is one of the show's big numbers You Shall Go to the Ball which features the whole company. It sounds as if it should be the big finale, but that doesn't quite fit in with the story, so either they adjusted the arrangement for the evening, or it's a song they intend to reprise at the end for a bit of a singalong. It would be fab for that. :hyper:

The rest

I've not really listened to the rest of it yet as I've been concentrating on Gareth's songs. :wub: However, I absolutely adored Alison Jiear's show stopping performance of Diva and couldn't resist hearing it again. She was brilliant and so very funny. You can hear the audience is in stitches before she's opened her mouth to sing. :laugh:

If you are a fan of musicals, you'll probably enjoy the whole thing, but if not, the bits featuring Gareth are so good that it's well worth buying the album for them alone. The Soho Cinders songs are all very good, and if I'm honest, better than I could have hoped for. It's a big thumbs up from me. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Snowdrop. Reading it makes the pain of having to wait another week a little easier. I'm so glad the sound is so good. I did wonder if there would be much audience noise, so good to hear it didn't interfere with the recording.

Can't wait to get my copy.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my CD for a couple of weeks now and I can't stop listening to it. In fact the songs are all on my iPod already, in time to take on the train with me at the weekendto see Cinderella. I think Gareth's voice sounds even better on the CD than it did on the night. I think my favourite is Gypsies of the Ether at the moment, but I love them all.

I have also had my CD for a couple of weeks but so far I have only listened to the songs Gareth is on, I brought the CD just because Gareth was singing on it, not sure if I would even like it as I am not a big fan of musicals... BUT I absolutely LOVE IT :heart: Gareth sounds so beautiful, I had heard Glass Slipper from You Tube but the recording on the CD is so much better, so beautiful, I also LOVE Gypsies of the Ether. Wishing for the Normal is lovely and Its Hard to Tell is great :smile: I have become quite addicted to these songs and play them on repeat on my CD player and I have uploaded them to my comp and have them on now :heart:

I too think it is well worth the money for the Gareth songs alone :thumbsup:

I love the Cd, brings back memories of a lovely night at the theatre, but oviously the highlight for me are the songs with Gareth.

I have to say the most outstanding for me is the Gypsies of the Ether, Gareth's voice is fantastic, and I really love him harmonising with another male voice. His voice really is outstanding on this.

• 2 months later...

How exciting is this? Glasslippers has been played on the radio. :frantics:

Hannah on the OS posted this:

On another note, was listening to Radio 2 with Paul O'Grady earlier and he played 'They Don't Make Glass Slippers' Paul just mentioned Soho Cinders and Spoonful and said about the recording that you could buy.

Guest PEPPERPOT

I AM LISTENING TO THE REPLAY, THANKS FOR THAT :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :thumbsup: JUST WANTED TO SAY THANKYOU TO SNOWDROP FOR PUTTING UP THE RADIO 2 LINK Thanks lovepepperxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just managing to listen to this now. How fabby to hear it being introduced on radio. He sounds very definite about it being a forth-coming musical - maybe he knows something's in the offing? :wub:

(He might have dug out the CD after meeting Gareth and then been reading the inside cover, but I have high hopes, and either version is good)

He sounded very sincere when he said he enjoyed it too. :heart:

He was funny about poor Cinderella being given glass shoes! :hyper:

Guest PEPPERPOT
I know that the amazon orders of this have been delayed, so I feel a bit guilty about getting my copy and talking about it, so sorry. :whistle:

I've not listened to it in full yet. I started with the Soho Cinders songs. :frantics: :wub:

First things first: The booklet

There is some text from Toerge and Ants at the beginning, including this extract:

Our all-star line-up featured many of our oldest and dearest friend, together with a host of welcome additions to our "family". For George, who led the evening from the piano, one of the great thrills of the night was to have a fabulous live band on stage with him - not just a rocking rhythm section, but also a luscious string octet!

The CD features songs from all of the musicals we have written together, as well as a sneak preview of some of the new shows we're writing. There are six tracks from our forthcoming Soho Cinders, featuring the wonderful Gareth Gates with the full company, as well as some of our cabaret songs - so there are many world premiere recordings to enjoy.

Included in the booklet are all of the usual credits, as well as some really great photos. Whoever was taking them did an excellent job of capturing flattering shots of them mid-song that captures their emotions. Not an easy task, and Gareth is looking particularly gorgeous. In fact, it's one of the nicest shots I've seen of him in a long time. :wub:

Overall

From what I've heard so far the quality is fantastic for a live recording. It's a credit to the cast and sound people that they have such a good, clear recording. They must have taken the microphon feeds, because you can't really hear the audience except at the end for applause. You get a hint of the laughter during songs like It's Hard to Tell, but for the most part, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a studio recording.

Soho Cinders

This is the new musical that they previewed starring Gareth. They've included six songs from it, five of which feature Gareth, although there isn't that much of Gareth in one of those. On the night there was a song called Old Compton Street, which hasn't made the final cut, but there wasn't much of Gareth in that anyway, lol.

You really get to hear the quality in Gareth's voice on this CD and the songs, in particular, Glass Slippers show off his fabulous range, tone and control wonderfully. It's funny listening to It's Hard to Tell because you wouldn't know that there was any dancing going on, or anyone else on stage other than Gareth and Leanne Jones. There is a bit where I imagine Gareth is concentrating very hard on those sexy dance moves! :laugh:

Listening properly to Wishing for the Normal you can hear how well Gareth and Leanne work together on what I think might be tricky harmonies. There are a lot of great singers who struggle singing counter harmonies like that, and this is where Gareth's experience in Bradford Cathedral Choir will pay off. If I remember correctly, he was in charge or doing arrangements. :thumbsup:

Of the four songs featuring Gareth, Gypsies of the Ether was probably my least favourite on the night. It's a lower key style of song (rather than musically, lol). It is very gorgeous, but I felt it lacked a bit of structure on first listen, and people weren't too sure when it had finished, lol. However, getting to hear it again in full clarity, it is absolutely gorgeous. Gareth is singing with Oliver Tompsett who has a very good voice too and the contrast with Gareth's is interesting. Oliver has what you might describe as a more traditional "stage school" type of voice, whereas Gareth's is warmer and has more individual character. :wub:

The other two songs from the Soho Cinders bit are I'm So Over Men, which is a rather cheeky, but very funny song sung by their own Ugly Sisters, and then what I assume is one of the show's big numbers You Shall Go to the Ball which features the whole company. It sounds as if it should be the big finale, but that doesn't quite fit in with the story, so either they adjusted the arrangement for the evening, or it's a song they intend to reprise at the end for a bit of a singalong. It would be fab for that. :hyper:

The rest

I've not really listened to the rest of it yet as I've been concentrating on Gareth's songs. :wub: However, I absolutely adored Alison Jiear's show stopping performance of Diva and couldn't resist hearing it again. She was brilliant and so very funny. You can hear the audience is in stitches before she's opened her mouth to sing. :laugh:

If you are a fan of musicals, you'll probably enjoy the whole thing, but if not, the bits featuring Gareth are so good that it's well worth buying the album for them alone. The Soho Cinders songs are all very good, and if I'm honest, better than I could have hoped for. It's a big thumbs up from me. :thumbsup:

thank you for your detailed report fantastic :thumbsup::thumbsup: :frantics: :frantics: :heart: :heart: