Les Mis reports - Manchester

Maggiemags

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aww. I keep seeing some great little comments about the show on Twitter, but you can't always be sure which version they are talking about, lol. I'm sure all of the good comments are about Gareth's one! :tongue:

From someone who works at the theatre:

lauraJbruce

I REALLY don't want Les Mis to leave plus the return of the Chuckle Brothers is pure torture. Jeez talk about a tough comedown! about 7 hours ago from web

It will be interesting to what the reaction is like in Norwich. It's a smaller theatre, so less bums on seats to tweet about it, so we should probably expect a bit of a drop.

OMG! Have you read the latest review on Musicals.net. I really don't understand why anyone would put themselves through such torture by going to a brilliant show and then spending the whole time nit-picking every single line. Why don't they just stay away.

Some people are just up their own arses. I was ignoring it - there really isn't any point, because I can't take people like that seriously. You might as well ask a vegan to review burgers. :laugh:

But in case anyone is worried by Val's post - they were rude about everything. Not specifically Gareth. In fact, they admitted they maybe quite liked his Empty Chairs, but presumably against their will. :tongue:

OMG! Have you read the latest review on Musicals.net. I really don't understand why anyone would put themselves through such torture by going to a brilliant show and then spending the whole time nit-picking every single line. Why don't they just stay away.

I attempted to read it last night,can't believe anyone would write a review like that thinking they would be taken seriously.Who? takes a notepad to the theatre with points to look out for and jot down whilst there, what you thought. :shocked:

Posts like that are made even more ridiculous, when you read others like this one on Palace Facebook.

Chris Cooper Saw it on Monday. The sets were so different from the West End, but brilliant. Particularly as they were based on Hugo's own drawings. John Owen-Jones.....what can i say? Flawless as ever. Gareth Gates...what a revelation. Not just in his singing, but his acting. His performance in 'A little fall of rain' and 'Empty chairs' was amazing. Something else, that i don't think anyone else has picked up on. Without the revolving stage that allowed us to see Gavroche collecting ammo, his death was even more poignant. Fantastic job by all, and well done to Cameron Mackintosh for taking this epic story to the people!!

Bit more on his Facebook wall.

Matthew Lumby is enjoying the absolutely magnificent new touring production of Les Miserables in Manchester with a superb Gareth Gates.

about an hour ago via Facebook for BlackBerry

With the following replies

Darren Skinner

Ooh! We're seeing it in Bristol in July! I bet they replace GG by then though, he'll never last...

56 minutes ago

Matthew Lumby

He really is perfectly cast as Marius, and the new sets and backdrops are brilliantly done.

45 minutes ago

RE: The Show Stop

The set broke down after the sewer scene, so they stopped the show for about 10 minutes before getting going again. They also had a show stop on Thursday or Friday I think, due to safety reasons. Obviously The Palace doesn't like the thought of the cast leaving, as it's all been fine up till now! Also, there were understudies for Val Jean and Eponine tonight - both with brilliant performances. Rosa had her first show last night, and this was Chris' first! Well done!

x

I was at the show tonight,really enjoyed it,This is the 4th time I've seen it in Manchester,I would say the second half was full of mishaps,nearly all of them involved Gareth. He was very professional and carried on with the show.When he came to give Eponine the letter for cosette he had none in his pocket so he just pretended to put it in her coat pocket,even Valjean was reading a letter with no paper in his hand.

When the men were on the Barricades just before Bring him Home,Gareth was singing that he loved Cossette,you couldn't hear him sing the last 2or3 lines as there was a terrible noise from the sound drowning his voice.

The sewer scene was a complete disaster in fact it just didn't work,when Valjean was dragging and carrying Marius through the sewers (around the stage) Gareth jumped from over VJ shoulder onto the floor,they went accross the stage with VJ dragging Gareth,at the back again Gareth gets back on VJ shoulder ,he took him to the front of the stage and lay him on the floor.At this point they stopped the show for technical reasons,when I've been before it looks so real as if they are in the sewers,what Gareth and VJ didn't know was the effects weren't working so we could see Gareth jumping on and off Vj back. They restarted after about 10mins with VJ dragging Gareth on stage meeting Javert.(Everyone started cheering.) I went with ValR we noticed lots of little changes,which if you were going for the first time you wouldn't know they were there.

Also the Javerts suicide,scene didn't work at the beginning there was no swirling smoke so he was just stood on the stage,The actual suicide did work though.

There were 2 understudies on for Valjean and Eponine,they were very good,did miss JOJ though.

There was an elderly couple sat in front of us,it was so funny everytime Gareth came on in the 1st half she nudged her husband and said" that's Gareth Gates" The girl sat next to Val used her binoculars everytime Gareth came on.When we were for queueing for the loo 2 women were shouting to each other that they were very impressed with Gareth.

Although things went wrong it was a brilliant show and I really enjoyed it, sadly I have to wait until April at Birmingham before I can see it again.

Thanks for telling us about last night Doris and Martha. What a shame there were all those technical problems. I think they've been having problems for the last three nights in Manchester from what I've read on other sites. Such a shame as everythihg seemed to be going so well in Manchester. I hope they get it all sorted out before they move on to Norwich. Well done Gareth carrying on like the true professional he is. Nice to hear all those lovely comments about Gareth too.

Rosa had her first show last night,

Is Rosa your sister Martha. Was she on as Eponine last night? How exciting for her is she was.

Can't wait to see the show again, but I too have to wait until it comes to Birmingham.

Thanks Martha and dorral for the update - good to know it all went relatively well despite the glitches. I have to say - I think I would have quite liked to see the sewer scenes without the effects - just to see how they did it. It's SO effective when it all works and they must have to move SO fast to make it look good.

Same here! Does that make me a saddo? :blush: OK, so too late for that, but I was fascinated by how quickly they changed positions each time the lights dimmed. I had my binoculars up, hoping to catch a glimpse in the dark, but it was too dark and they were too quick.

It's a shame that things didn't go smoothly for the last night, but great for the under-studies to get a shot, and that the audience all loved it all the same. :heart:

I'm sure this link has been posted before, but it's worth a reminder to take a look at the reviews on Ticketmaster.

There's over 500 on there, so you can expect that they might not universally be what we'd all like to read :wink: , but don't let that spoil it for you, any negative comments are overwhelmingly in the minority and usually written in a way that makes you think they had certain - shall we say - 'prejudices' :rolleyes::D .

Here's a small selection of extracts taken off just the front page as it stands at the moment:

I hadn't realised that Gareth Gates was playing Marius and he was one of the best Marius's I have seen.
Didn't realise that Gareth Gates played Marius until I read the Local newspaper review today. Think it may have put me off if I'd have known beforehand that he was in it (not his greatest fan). However, he and the rest of the cast were fab.
Absolutely fantastic show, all cast were brilliant, particularly John Owen Jones and Gareth Gates who really moved us with their performances
the biggest supprise for me was the performance of gareth gates as marius now that was something i did not expect, brilliant voice, brilliant acting well done to you gareth the boy who has turned into a fantastic stage performer.
This production was incredible, with outstanding performances from John Owen-Jones, Gareth Gates amd Earl Carpenter.

Is Rosa your sister Martha. Was she on as Eponine last night? How exciting for her is she was.

Hi Val,

No, Rosa isn't my sister; Rhiannon is. She is second cover Eponine and Fantine. :thumbsup:

Also, nice to see those reviews from Ticketmaster, totally forgot about looking there for any reports. Also, notice on the side that it ranks the show as the top Musical in terms of positive reviews!

It's great. It may have been posted before, but I had completely forgotten about it, and I'm guessing others had too, or I'm sure they'd have posted some of those fabulous reviews. The feedback really is overwhelmingly positive.

I don't want to tempt fate, and it would be incredibly obvious now, but remember when Darius first did Chicago and he was getting favourable reviews for the first few days until a link to a review site was posted on a certain other website, and all of a sudden that changed. It seems like those people have finally gained a little perspective (or shame). :thumbsup: