Reports from Birmingham Les Miserables

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another report on Musicals.Net where they don't usually have much good to say about the tour Les Mis. I must say on the whole I pretty much agree with this person in regards to Jon Robyns. He's definitely a weak link in the cast for me. Good to see someone else liked Rosalind James too. I think she comes in for far too much criticism.

Saw this on Wednesday 24th in Birmingham. I must admit that I went without the highest of expectations (partly due to following JOJ on Twitter and thinking that he seems really self-satisfied - I know that this hasn't got anything to do with his performance but I felt a bit lacking in enthusiasm for him!) However, although his Valjean took a little while to grow on me, by the end I was totally hooked. His version of Bring Him Home was astonishing - it was so lovely I almost cried!

The rest of the cast were a bit of a mixed bag, in my opinion. I was very pleasantly surprised by Gareth Gates - his voice was lovely and his acting good. Katie Hall and Earl Carpenter were excellent too, and I didn't dislike Rosalind James as Eponine - I know her voice has had a lot of criticism for being too "poppy" but I didn't really notice that - maybe she has toned it down a bit. I didn't like the Thenardiers - especially Lynne Wilmot. I know that they don't have to have the strongest of voices but I thought that her voice was so poor that it really detracted from the role. Madalena Alberto as Fantine had a reasonable voice but her acting was dreadful. Now I come to the bit that makes me saddest. Jon Robyns. I mean I love Jon Robyns - I liked him as Marius and thought he was brilliant in Avenue Q. I just don't think Enjolras is a part that suits him. He just didn't seem to command the stage in the way that Thaxton does so effortlessly at Queens. He seemed to be rattling around getting more and more frantic as the night went on - and I really didn't think that his voice sounded very strong. I sat there wondering if seeing Thaxton has now ruined the part of Enjolras for me - maybe no one else will ever quite measure up!! Another problem was the way the death of Enjolras is shown - I realise of course that this wasn't Jon's fault, and I don't want to talk about it in too much detail in case it spoils it for those who haven't seen it, but the way it is done - the way you see the body at the end - is so awful it seemed almost comical..............(Also the blond wig is terrible )

With all these "ifs" and "buts", still a very enjoyable night. If you haven't seen it yet go along with an open mind!!

Was fortunate to go again last night. :thumbsup: This time with my other half (kicking and screaming)! :no: Actually he has seen it before and is one production he "wouldn't mind" seeing again. The "wouldn't mind" was enough for me......... I booked the tickets!!

For me it was probably a different evening from my previous visit, as I felt I was viewing the production as a theatre goer, as opposed to a Gareth fan. I missed not being able to elbow my fellow Gareth fans when Gareth appeared in his main role as Marius :D I had to act casual that I hadn't notice Gareth appear :whistle: I think I did genuinely focus on the whole production too, not just that guy in the blue coat!! Blimey loads more goes on, doesn't it?

There's not much to add about the show that hasn't already been said previously. It is just so fantastic that I (and I think everyone in the theatre) could have sat through it all again. Gareth was once again superb. When I was sitting in the pub opposite it was only then I realised that people were exiting the theatre just after 5.30pm, after the first performance . Just a short break for all the cast and then back on to do the same again a tthe end of what must have been a very tiring week and yet the enthusiasm just oozed from them all.

Gareth received a huge ovation and cheering when he took the final call. The audience just loved him. :heart:

My other half included :thumbsup:

There was a huge standing ovation that seemed to go on for ages and ages (including the guy next to me who fidgeted the whole way through, glasses on, glasses off, lean forward, lean back, hands on knees, crossing arms. There was no way I thought this chap was enjoying the show and yet he was one of the first on his feet)

I didn't hear any particular comments about Gareth apart from in the pub prior to the show a father and son came in and were talking of "How good he was in Joseph". My ears pricked up. It was only when they were joined with their partners that I realised they had been to the show (Programmes being re-read) that they must have been talking about Gareth.

Little do we know, when and where Gareth is being talked about!

Just received links to a couple of really brilliant reviews from Birmingham.

This one from the Coventry Telegraph, with a very good mention of Gareth

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/whats-on-...92746-26137265/

and this is a blog written by a lady who was very impressed with the prodution

http://thewritersideoflife.wordpress.com/

This is what she said about Gareth. Its so good I thought I'd just post this bit

One of the most surprising elements was the portrayal of Marius. It was Gareth Gates! Seriously! I have to admit when Steve told me this, I had a similar reaction to when I found out ‘H’ was playing Joseph, I laughed and expected all my hopes to be destroyed. But similarly to that experience, I was blown away. He was perfect. He sang so beautifully and had just the right amount of ‘wetness’ in the love scenes and a brilliantly emotional sadness and regret during “Empty Chairs and Empty Tables”. I am a Pop Idol convert, to some extent, and will from this day not hear a bad word to be said against this fine fellow! Again, my heart broke entirely as he sang with Eponine as she died in his arms – I had entirely forgotten who it was I was watching and at this point could no longer see who I was watching, as the salt water welled uncontrollably in my eyes!

Tulip posted a link to this brilliant review on the OS, I am sure she wont mind me posting it here too.

http://www.thestirrer.co.uk/March_10/les-m...les-290310.html

What was of major interest, was how would Gareth Gates (the first runner-up in television’s ‘Pop Idol) adapt to the challenge of having to incorporate acting and singing into such a prestigious established musical phenomenon.

Initially he made the transition by appearances in pantomime and taking the lead role of Joseph in the West End production of ‘Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat’, and judged on his sensitive performance as Marius, it will be surprising if he fails to be among the front-runners for parts in any future musical spectaculars.

Theatre Review: Les Miserables at the Birmingham Hippodrome

http://www.birminghampost.net/life-leisure...65233-26157138/

Apr 2 2010 By Lorne Jackson

I’ve never been the sort of bloke to follow a crowd.

When every other adult in the country was proudly reading the Harry Potter books, I stuck to grown up literature.

When the herd marched against the war in Iraq, I held back, thinking this was too complicated an issue to be summed up by a snappy banner and a few blisters on my feet.

All of the above helps explain why in the past I’ve avoided seeing Les Miserables.

Being the world’s longest-running musical, it’s too darn popular for it’s own good.I certainly had low expectations when I took my seat to watch the 25th anniversary spectacular at the Hippodrome.

Expectations that were completely destroyed by a thoroughly entertaining and memorable show – darn you Les Mis!

The musical is based on Victor Hugo’s monster of a novel. Stripped to its bones for the stage, it’s a tale crackling with incident and emotion, set in revolutionary France.

Jean Viljean escapes a harsh prison sentence to become a factory owner and respected pillar of society, though he is forced to reveal his identity to prevent an innocent man being imprisoned for his crime.

Viljean then saves Fantine, the orphaned daughter of one of his factory workers, from a life of poverty, before fleeing with her and taking on a new identity. Chased relentlessly by police officer, Javert, the two men eventually confront each other on the barricades, as Paris explodes in revolution.

The songs are memorable and hummable (I didn’t realise I knew so many) and the sets and special effects formidable – as good as any in the West End.

John Owen Jones is a huge presence as Jean Viljean, and even celebrity pop person, Gareth Gates doesn’t let down the side as Fantine’s beau, Marius.

Les Mis is un – Les Mis – able.

Curses! Does this mean I’ll have to read those pesky Harry Potter yarns, too?

Rating: 4/5