Reports from Birmingham Les Miserables

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Annzzz Just seen touring production of le miserable - brilliant production and very impressed with Gareth gates !!!

29 minutes ago from TwitBird iPhone

Sazchik Les Mis was fab! After show bumped into Gareth Gates (played Marius) & he stoked my arm whilst talking to me. Arm now available for 20 quid.

about 2 hours ago from web

:laugh: :laugh:

mattheadline Gareth Gates is surprisingly good in Les Miserables!

about 3 hours ago from TweetDeck

Another surprised person here :smile:

http://simonstanford.blogspot.com/2010/04/...re-vulture.html

Les Miserables

I saw this at the Birmingham Hippodrome at a packed Saturday matinee. This is of course a very well known musical based on the work by Victor Hugo. The Glums as it is sometimes flippantly called is a "fully sung" musical by which I mean it is more operatic in nature and there is no spoken dialogue, every word is sung. ( I much prefer this to the bit of acting then "let's everybody burst into song" type of musical. Unless the setting is appropriate as in something like La Cage Au Folles which is totally camp and over the top and based around show business. ).

The whole afternoon, three hours including the interval, was riveting with the set, the orchestra and the performers all coming together create the illusion of 19th Century Paris during the French Revolution brilliantly.

A big surprise was the performance of Gareth Gates as the romantic lead Marius. The power and subtlety of his voice was a real treat. In fact there was a little debate about whether it was actually him as at the start of the performance there was an announcement saying one of the roles would be sung by someone else and we didn't quite catch it but thought it was the role of Marius.

We were quite high up in the circle and although the view was good it wasn't easy to make out people's faces, thus given the strength and tone of his voice I assumed it was someone else. It was only in the last twenty mins or so Gareth ( not that one, "my" Gareth) convinced me it was his namesake performing.

The lead role of Jean Valjean sung by John Owen Jones was excellent and carried the show with his mix of haunting light tenor and moments of real power.

I'd say go see it if you can but apparently the entire run is completely sold out and I'm not surprised.

Thanks Heather, love it, love it.

A big surprise was the performance of Gareth Gates as the romantic lead Marius. The power and subtlety of his voice was a real treat. In fact there was a little debate about whether it was actually him as at the start of the performance there was an announcement saying one of the roles would be sung by someone else and we didn't quite catch it but thought it was the role of Marius.

We were quite high up in the circle and although the view was good it wasn't easy to make out people's faces, thus given the strength and tone of his voice I assumed it was someone else. It was only in the last twenty mins or so Gareth ( not that one, "my" Gareth) convinced me it was his namesake performing.

While I'm pleased that people think he's good, I hate that people are so convinced that he can't be good. I really think that Gareth's management need to try to do something to address this. It's all very well that there are all of these people being converted now, but it could really work against Gareth getting other parts if the people making casting decisions worry that people might be put off.

And for those not following the twitter thread - the understudy Enjolras was on. :thumbsup:

I went to last nights performance ( Tues 13/04) with my daughter and her partner. My daughter usure if she would enjoy it as she is not a fan of musicals. She did very much. Goes without saying how much I enjoyed it

The theatre again was sold out. A great atmosphere in there. Gareth recieved fantastic applause. The roles of Jean Valjean & Javert were played by understudies. Christopher Jacobsen played Jean Valjean. Sorry forgot who played Javert.

Great Gareth mention in this person's blog on Les Mis :heart:

http://jonnymwright.tumblr.com/post/523442...sary-production

stunning and breathtaking piece of theatre.

Les Mis is packed full of amazing music and some massively big songs that evoke all kinds of emotions. Like most shows there is a celebrity signing, in this case Gareth Gates. He proves himself more than capable in the role of Marius and performs with confidence and faultlessly. His rendition of ‘A Little Fall of Rain’ with Eponine was a breathtakingly beautiful moment in the show met with silence from the packed house who had been overtaken with the emotion of the moment.

Had a fantastic time tonight waiting les miserables...bring him home by jean val jean was fantastic stars by javert brilliant about 7 hours ago via TweetDeck
jones1971 And believe it or not empty chairs and emtpy tables by Marius (gareth gates) was a real suprise x about 6 hours ago from TweetDeck