• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theatre review - Les Miserables at The Lowry

11:30am Monday 16th August 2010

* Print

* Email

* Comments(0)

* By Jessica Bell »

THE STANDING ovation that greeted the cast at the end of Les Miserables was well deserved.

The chaos of post French Revolution era France came alive on the stage as Victor Hugo’s tragic yet inspirational tale of Jean Valjean was told in the packed Lowry’s Lyric Theatre.

Against a backdrop of dark paintings and dramatic lighting, Cameron Mackintosh’s revamped 25th anniversary version of one of the world’s longest running musicals appeared impressively majestic.

Claude-Michel Schonberg’s score and Herbert Kretzmer’s lyrics were poignant and I was not the only member of the packed-out audience who was choking back tears throughout.

Special effects and excellent timing brought the storming of the barricade to life and Javert’s suicide was especially realistic.

Pop Idol star Gareth Gates proved he was more than just a pop act with his convincing performance as Cosette’s love interest, the student Marius.

Katie Hall (Cosette) and Madalena Alberto (Fantine) had poignant and moving performances and Alberto’s rendition of I Dreamed A Dream - made famous by Susan Boyle - was especially moving.

But John Owen-Jones stole the show as Jean Valjean in his inspirational struggle for redemption and his lifelong evasion of Javert (Earl Carpenter).

Lynne Wilmot (Madame Thenardier) and Ashley Artus (Thenardier) brought a welcome splash of comedy to a moving production that is well worth seeing.

Les Miserables is showing at The Lowry until August 21

http://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/leisure/theatrearts/8333962.Theatre_review___Les_Miserables_at_The_Lowry/

Saw les mis on Tuesday as was over for an RCN event for work so it tied in nicely with seeing the show again. Went with few colleagues from work was sitting in the front of the upper circle felt the view was pretty good from here. Was another amazing show don’t think I could ever get bored and always have tears in my eyes in a little fall off rain and bring him home. Gareth gave an outstanding performance and really impressed my workmates which made me so proud. :thumbsup: Had been worried and a bit annoyed as one of them had been very vocal to the lady next to her on how she hated reality tv stars in the theatre when she saw gareths name on the programme. So really did make me smile when she had to eat her words and had to say that she was wrong that he was rather good and much better singer than she thought and how far he had come from pop idol. :jump: I didn’t venture to the stage door even though I would have loved too have got my cd signed. We hadn't time as we had other plans that night.

Sad now this is all over for me but what a final show :thumbsup:

Saw les mis on Tuesday as was over for an RCN event for work so it tied in nicely with seeing the show again. Went with few colleagues from work was sitting in the front of the upper circle felt the view was pretty good from here. Was another amazing show don’t think I could ever get bored and always have tears in my eyes in a little fall off rain and bring him home. Gareth gave an outstanding performance and really impressed my workmates which made me so proud. :thumbsup: Had been worried and a bit annoyed as one of them had been very vocal to the lady next to her on how she hated reality tv stars in the theatre when she saw Gareth's name on the programme. So really did make me smile when she had to eat her words and had to say that she was wrong that he was rather good and much better singer than she thought and how far he had come from pop idol. :jump: I didn’t venture to the stage door even though I would have loved too have got my cd signed. We hadn't time as we had other plans that night.

Sad now this is all over for me but what a final show :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting Suzie , I enjoyed reading how one of your workmates had to eat her words about Gareth's performance :D

Someone tweeted Gareth to let him know his parents loved the show! Very thoughtful.

yaffle1972 @Gareth_Gates My mum and dad saw you earlier in the week. Said you were brilliant!

about 9 hours ago via web in reply to Gareth_Gates

And someone else who loved the show

iamcoxhead Gareth Gates played a top role as well. He's grown up a lot and seems to have found his niche. Very impressed with his voice.

about 9 hours ago via Power Twitter

iamcoxhead Fair play to Gareth Gates by the way. He absolutely smashed it tonight as a main role in one of the famous musicals of all time.

about 9 hours ago via Power Twitter

That second tweeter seems to be really into their music, though their main stuff isn't musicals! :lol:

Just returned from the last night of Les Mis at the Lowry. It was a wonderful performance tonight and I thought Gareth was the best I have seen him. I was with two people who aren't Gareth fans - and who don't know that I am. So without any prompting they both said that they thought he was really good, praising not only his singing but his acting too. Everyone was outstanding tonight as was Laura Tebbut as Fantine.

I have been lucky enough to go four times, twice in Manchester and twice in Salford and I think Gareth has grown tremendously in terms of his performance.

I know it's greedy but I wish I could go to the Barbican...

Before the performance we went to Pizza Express and had not booked so had to queue. We had been standing for a while when I noticed Gareth was in there sitting with a group. We were waiting for about half an hour so I had quite a while to cast surreptitious glances his way! I didn't go over to him because I think he should be allowed to eat in peace, but I did enjoy the view!!

Lucky for some!!! I saw the tour twice too at the Manchester venues and met Gareth on both occasions. The first time before the show and the second time at the stage door :) he is so lovely and is so incredible on stage he has deffinetly finally found his niche. I was lucky to have a full cast both times!!!

That sounds wonderful Jenjo. What a treat whilst waiting for your dinner too. I presume Gareth got everyone to shout "no cheese" when he was ordering his dinner. :lol::blush:

It can be quite stressful seeing Gareth related stuff with people who don't realise that you are actually quite a big fan, but it's so rewarding when they say good things without any obligation, especially commenting on his acting too. I've seen a lot of people praising him for that lately (not us), as well as his singing, which is lovely. It's great that the show has managed a second Manchester stint, as it is so obviously appreciated there and giving people the chance to see the show's progression - apparently the standing room was sold out last night too!

More feedback from last night on twitter:

dr_grahambrown @angel_samson yes it was Gareth Gates and he was very good! Cried again....

about 9 hours ago via Twitter for Android from Flintshire, Flintshire in reply to angel_samson

AdrianTyson @hayleysoraya always good to have a treat. Went to see les miserables ay the Lowry Manchester today. Gareth gates was v good

about 9 hours ago via Echofon in reply to hayleysoraya

Jenjo how lucky of you to see Gareth in Pizza Express as well as on stage :thumbsup:

I can just imagine your friends saying, shall we not bother waiting in the queue and you saying you think you ought to (even though they know you have previously said you hate queueing) :o:D

Brilliant that your friends thought Gareth good too. Did you act casual saying, you hadn't known he was in it, but yes he was pretty good wasn't he (Oh to be a fan)?

I have been lucky enough to go four times, twice in Manchester and twice in Salford and I think Gareth has grown tremendously in terms of his performance.

I know it's greedy but I wish I could go to the Barbican...

I'm not sure it is greedy. I think each to their own. It's like buying another pair of Jimmy Choo shoes, when you already have a few pairs in the wardrobe. If it gives you pleasure, why not?

I regret not going yesterday, when I had the opportunity so I am reminding myself these opportunities have to be seized.

Am hoping those that went aren't lingering too long over breakfast :ph34r:

Nice to read another couple of tweets too. It's good that people are now keen to say how good Gareth is - at last.

Went to the Lowry last night,the show was fantastic as usual. There was something between the cast last night that was really amusing them, Gareth,kept looking at different people and laughing during his role as policeman ,judge,during the barricade scene him and Chris Jacobson were talking and laughing with each other.

We went to the stage door as soon as we got there , we had a spare 1/2 hour before going for a meal.Lovely to see Sarahjane, Andrea and Maria again. Gareth signed our Cd booklets,we stayed watching him with other fans.When he went to go for his tea we followed in the same direction, to "Bella Italia" hoping Gareth was headed there to. We were in the restaraunt seated with menu's and we could still see Gareth outside in the square having pictures and signing for people who recognised him as he passed an outdoor eating restaraunt.

Here are few random pics again

Lowry21aug008.jpg

Lowry21aug009.jpg

Lowry21aug010.jpg

Lowry21aug011.jpg

Lowry21aug007.jpg

Had another great visit to Les Mis yesterday. Gareth was as usual fantastic and there was something a bit special about the show last night. I don't know if it was because it was the final show at the Lowry, but there seemed to be a whole lot of fun going on between the cast while they were on stage. Several times Gareth was finding it very hard not to laugh to himself as were some of the others. Laura Tebbut was on a Fantine and I must say I was very impressed with her voice and performance. In fact I've now seen three people playing Fantine and I preferred both Rhiannon and Laura's performances to Madaleina.

We saw several members of the cast after the show and they were all lovely. I managed to get my program signed by The Thenardiers, Owain Williams (who is just lovely to speak to) Adam Linstead, Katie Hall, Rosalind James, who was also lovely to talk to. And then there was of course Gareth and John Owen Jones. My only disappointment was that I missed Earl Carpenter. Its wasn't until he was walking away that we realized it was him, He looks so different to the way he looks on stage (very handsome man). I was very impressed with the Lowry Theatre. Fantastic air conditioning and loads of leg room, plus the seats were the most comfortable I've ever sat in.

It was great to see Gareth still having pictures taken with fans in the Lime Bar when we were eating in Bella Italia. His time between shows must have been severaly cut short I think, but he seemed to be enjoying it. He headed off wheeling his suitcase and carrying other luggage after the evening show and it looked as though he was headed to the car part for his car. It wasn't until he was gone that we kicked outselves for not offering to help him with his stuff :lol:

Only got one visit left to see the show now. Think its going to be quite sad when that's over.