Les Miserables returns to the Barbican

Yorksheather

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The defining feature of this production is the superlative singing. The star is John Owen-Jones, who’s breathtakingly good as the hero Jean Valjean. But there is expert work all around him — from Earl Carpenter, Rosalind James and a crowd-pleasingly passionate Gareth Gates.

Variety have done their review too. JOJ is annoyed at them for spelling his name wrong, but they are at least wise enough to rate Gareth! :icecream:

Best bit:

Mackintosh's casting is, as expected, adroit. Earl Carpenter has a thundering voice that gives Javert true power and Gareth Gates brings sweet, well-sung sincerity to Marius.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117943692.html?categoryid=33&cs=1

They talked about the O2 concert this morning on BBC1, they had a tenor from the West End cast (dont know which role he plays) talking about the concert, saying that all the people in the shows at the moment and past shows will be in the choir. They showed the little film they made to advertise the tour, with plenty of Gareth's shots with him singing.

Was a nice surpise to see. :thumbsup:

They talked about the O2 concert this morning on BBC1, they had a tenor from the West End cast (dont know which role he plays) talking about the concert, saying that all the people in the shows at the moment and past shows will be in the choir. They showed the little film they made to advertise the tour, with plenty of Gareth's shots with him singing.

Was a nice surpise to see. :thumbsup:

I saw it too, what a nice surprise on a miserable Monday morning!

It was Alfie Boe who is playing the part of Valjean, much as he seems a nice chap and has a lovely voice, I still think it's wrong that they have brought in people who haven't really been in the show before!

Just came to post that. What a lovely picture and how happy Gareth & Suzanne look.

Thanks to everyone for all the links to the photos. Don't Gareth and Suzanne make a very handsome couple? So glad she was able to make it to the aftershow party.

Did anyone notice the Les Mis balloons? They are cool.

Apparently there was another review in the Metro. Did anyone see it or have a copy,please?

As posted on the official thought would post here too.

I have two spare tickets for this saturdays show the 02 oct 2010 2.30pm show at the Barbican Theatre. They are for The Gallery Theatre Left A36 and A35. Sadly two off my friends can't make it but are happy to give their tickets to fans off the show.

If anyone is intrested on here please let me know by pming me or replying here if not they will be listing them on ebay wednesday.

So glad your tickets have gone to Les Mis fans Suzi. Hopefully they will fall in love with that guy Gareth Gates. :thumbsup:

Just to say a few of us are off to the Barbican tomorrow for the matinee performance. Now thanking goodness we didn't book an overnight stay because the hotel saving can go towards a future performance of Gareth, as Marius at the Queens.

It's no longer going to be the sad event I thought it would be but it has been brilliant 12 months. Being able to visit so many theatres (and so many train stations/restaurants....... and stage doors :whistle: ) in the past twelve months, has been an absolute joy.

I am hoping my boss doesn't find out I am taking a sickie :shiftyninja: as I need more hours to pay for any future Gareth events. I can't see any new kitchens or Jimmy Choo shoes for me in the future :hug:

It's a big weekend for all the Les Mis'cast and for all the fans. Hope everyone involved enjoys it. :jump: