Les Miserables returns to the Barbican

Yorksheather

He obviously meant it, because he's followed up with another:

stephenjdavis1 @Gareth_Gates hey mate! Thought you were fantastic this afternoon! Great show.

about 1 hour ago via Echofon

Do you know what's extra impressive about his compliments? He's in the current West End Phantom. He knows his stuff. :thumbsup:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got back from Les Mis (matinee) at the Barbican about an hour and a half ago - this was my third trip having been to Manchester and then Birmingham earlier in the year. Only booked on Monday but got a fantastic seat in row D of the stalls. Shortly after sitting down, I heard a man in front of me saying something like:

'....they're flying Nick Jonas in from America but the guy in this is much better.'

A lady further along the row said, 'Yes, Gareth Gates is good.'

The man had presumably been talking about the O2 concert. He seemed to be quite a fan of theatre and musicals. He had seen Les Mis at the Barbican about two weeks ago and had been worried that it wouldn't be as good as the original, but had left thinking that it was better - and had come back for more. I also think that he will be going to the O2 concert. Another lady further along my row commented in the interval that she hadn't realised that Gareth was in the show.

Anyway the show was once again brilliant, in fact it was probably better than the previous shows I had seen, and the theatre was very comfortable with lots of legroom. It goes without saying that Gareth was fantastic and his acting, although great previously, was even more assured and very expressive. Cosette was played by Leigh Rhianon Coggins, who was very good but seemed strange as I'm obviously used to seeing Katie Hall playing the part.

In the scene where Gareth is playing a guard when Fantine is nearly arrested, one of the female performers whispered something to him which made him want to laugh - he was finding it very hard to keep a straight face! His acting when Eponine dies is so emotional and he manages to maintain his sadness and anger in the scenes that follow.

I had managed to catch Gareth arriving before the performance and got a couple of autographs, but didn't see him afterwards probably because he was having a sleep (as per his tweet). Jonathan Alden (factory foreman) was talking to a friend after the show and was saying how tired he was with all the extra rehearsals for the O2 concert - something about them working a 72-hour week. I think he also said that Katie Hall is now playing Cosette in the concert and Earl (Javert) is playing the bishop (but I may have misheard).

Can't think of anything else at the moment. Only to say that I had a wonderful day, I can't believe the tour is almost over. I am so glad that Gareth is joining the West End cast (I congratulated him and he seemed very pleased).

Linda

Thanks for your report Linda - it's apparent Gareth is gaining a very good reputation amongst established theatre fans. Very well deserved too.

I read that Camilla whateverhernamewas had to pull out of the O2 concert because of a bad throat, and presumably Katie was down as the understudy. I expect she was given the night off so that she can be awake to catch up with the rehearsals, and be on form on Sunday. Part of me would love it if there was something similar for Gareth (not that I'm comfortable wishing ill health on anyone), but I'd be gutted if Gareth wasn't on stage when I go to the show on Saturday. So I'd better be careful what I wish for! :innocent:

Great show again yesterday. Several slight changes. Some for the better but some we couldn't quite see the point of. They've changed the staging for Empty Chairs which was one which I felt was better. Leigh Rhiannon Porter was good as Cosette but wasn't quite as good as Katie I didn't think. Didn't make any difference to Gareth's interaction with her, but she just didn't seem to be as good.

Only minor changes. Gareth now stands in the centre of the stage to sing and the `ghosts walk on and stand all the way around him rather than just to his left (our right). He then looks at them both ways rather than just one. I thought the scene focused on him better this way.

Also when Marius and Cosette meet in the garden before the first kiss, they move around and are standing the other way around when they kiss.

How interesting that they still make those sort of relatively minor changes even so close to the end of the tour.

Two other things that Val didn't mention, When Madame Thenardier came out to Cosette at first, she didn;'t bring Eponine with her, she came on later by herself, and also Gavroche did his little song standing on a balcony, not in the middle of the stage. Only very small things and as Val said at this late stage couldn't really see the point of them!

Another great show from the Barbican yesterday afternoon. Once again each and every member oozed enthusiasm. Where it came from I have no idea because as they left via the stage door,(which is conveniently situated next to the entrance) they all looked kn**kered. Gareth was superb as usual but I didn't think the understudy on, matched Katie Hall (Cossette's) performance. Made me realise how good Katie actually is.

The only difference I noticed was that all the students came onto the stage whilst Gareth was singing ECAET. Then I was told it had always been that way. :ph34r::blush:

Had a fabulous afternoon and loved the specialness of the Barbican theatre. It really is very 60/70s. One of our crowd compared it to our central library, which is just now being demolished. :whistle:

Linda what a shame we didn't know you were going. We could have at least met up and had a coffee or said hello.

Can I ask were you the lady leaning on the pillar at the Stage Door, hearing this?

I had managed to catch Gareth arriving before the performance and got a couple of autographs, but didn't see him afterwards probably because he was having a sleep (as per his tweet). Jonathan Alden (factory foreman) was talking to a friend after the show and was saying how tired he was with all the extra rehearsals for the O2 concert - something about them working a 72-hour week. I think he also said that Katie Hall is now playing Cosette in the concert and Earl (Javert) is playing the bishop (but I may have misheard).

Can I ask were you the lady leaning on the pillar at the Stage Door, hearing this?

Yes, Eternal, that was me. I was going to ask Val if she was in the group of ladies outside the theatre after the show, but you got in first, so I assume you were there as well. I knew at the time that I should have said something to you all. As I had seen Gareth before the show, I was just hoping to congratulate him on another marvellous performance and take some more photos. Not surprised that he was taking the opportunity to snatch a few minutes sleep between shows though. The cast that did come out all looked very tired as you said - they all manage to turn on the enthusiasm and magic when on stage though. Unfortunately I don't recognise most of the cast when in civvies, although I did congratulate John Owen Jones when he went past. Just before I left I saw Katie Hall arriving for the evening show.

Just remembered another overheard conversation in the theatre. A lady behind me couldn't understand why this production was happening when the show is on in the West End. One of her companions said that this was the touring version and she obviously didn't realise that there had been a tour. I can't quite understand why she was at the performance, as she didn't seem to know anything about it. She then thought that the show was going to transfer to the O2, again she was put right by one of her group. Didn't actually hear what she thought of the show.

Snowdrop, I hope you had a great time at the final show today. From Gareth's tweet this morning, he was obviously performing today. I know how you feel though, until I got to the theatre and saw him named on the cast list, I was dreading that something was going to stop him being there. By the way, it was at the matinee on Thursday that Cosette's understudy was performing - Katie was on in the evening. Val, it was Leigh Rhianon Coggins (not Porter) that played Cosette on Thursday. I quite liked her voice but her performance wasn't as good as Katie's overall.

It doesn't seem possible that the final performance is happening as I write this (I'm listening to the CD, which is great but I wish they hadn't edited it quite so much). Today will be extremely emotional, I was sad enough on Thursday that it was coming to an end but......there's Queens to look forward to and the panto :thumbsup::jump: Better start saving up - not sure how I'm going to explain to my husband that I need to go to see Les Mis yet again!

Linda

shazmgill

Amazing final show at the Barbican - well done @Gareth_Gates @johnowenjones @JRobyns @katie1hall 11 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

LindaMag

Can't believe it's last show of Les Mis tour. It's been brill. Best wishes to @Gareth_Gates (ur amazing) and rest of cast. Knock 'em dead! about 4 hours ago via web

Yes, Eternal, that was me. I was going to ask Val if she was in the group of ladies outside the theatre after the show, but you got in first, so I assume you were there as well. I knew at the time that I should have said something to you all

Yes I was there.Oh what a shame we were all stood so close and we all didn't know. :(

(Part of me feels sad that we don't shout it from the rooftops to each other that we are going. Perhaps a shared coffee or lunch on that day, may make a great day even greater. Steps off soapbox!!)

Oh it would have been lovely to say hello.

We were lucky enough to speak to the guy (need Val to remind me who he was) when he was talking about how tired they all were and how they were all rehearsing at the 02 in the morning and then two shows on that thursday, resulting in a 79 hour week.

One of the group mentioned we had seen this production before to which he seemed surprised, asking if it was at the Barbican this time. When she said it was at other venues he seemed even more genuinely surprised. We tried to ask about who was appearing at the 02 and he mentioned Owain Williams as Fe something (help Val) and Katie Hall as Cossette. Whilst we were desperate to ask if Gareth had any part, we didn't want to put him on the spot as he hadn't offered the information. He didn't know we were Gareth fans. :ph34r:

Just pop in here that I don't recognise any of the cast in their own clothes (except for one) but a couple of our group are brilliant at spotting who is who. Wow, don't they look different.

It is sad that this tour is now over as it has been really special and very exciting.

We do have a lot to look forward to though and the future for Gareth is looking very bright indeed.

but......there's Queens to look forward to and the panto Better start saving up - not sure how I'm going to explain to my husband that I need to go to see Les Mis yet again!

I think the Panto is very hard to tell friends why you can't go out with them that night, weekend. Especially without any youngsters to drag along to see it!

When I mention to my husband I was going to see Les Mis again he says "You are still on tour". Now the tour is finished and it's just one venue I don't know what he will call it.

I have only just mentioned that Gareth "might"be in the West End. Will have to pull any tickets out of the wardrobe and say I have had them ages :whistle:

If any of our visits clash we must all meet up and say hello.

Sorry Khelda you are reporting all these tweets and I don't say thanks. Thanks, please keep them coming.

Very good Gareth mention here :thumbsup:

http://westendcalling.blogspot.com/2010/10/beyond-barricade.html

Gareth Gates cast in the role of Marius was phenomenal. I had my reservations as I said, but they had proven unfounded. I think whenever I see a washed up pop star on a bill at a theatrical performance, it just feels like they have been added due to their name not their ability. Gareth Gates had however managed to adapt to the vocal demands of such a role, which is challenging throughout. He was convincing in his acting also which was a relief - and I really hope this encounter with musicals will be one of many. Sure beats a career in pop music!

That's a lovely review - praise indeed.

I went to the show on Saturday afternoon with Maggiemags and Jenjo, but this is my first chance to say anything about it, so sorry for the delay.

It was clearly a very emotional performance for the cast, with many of them crying at the curtain call. Cameron Mackintosh came on at the end to do a little speech - and he was stood between Gareth and JOJ, which was lovely. He said nice things about the show, also saying that the set was being taken, that evening, to Spain where they will be starting their version of the show in a few weeks time.

As well as being brilliant in the role (as ever) Gareth yet again wins the prize for the best clapping after Cammack did his speech! :lol:

I didn't really notice anyone say anything about Gareth specifically, but a lot of people were very impressed with the show. It was apparent that quite a few had been long standing fans and had seen it many times, but mainly in the WE so most comparisons were of that.

I've got to say that some of the cast did sound quite tired, but maybe they were just emotional! :lol: It had been such a long week for them, and I did think it was a bit of a shame that they didn't have a longer break between the end of the tour and the 02 concert so they could enjoy that moment.

Before the start of the show, Cameron Mackintosh also did a little tannoy announcement, which added to the excitement, telling us to switch off our phones and recording devices, lol. My only complaint was that he told people they could buy the DVD in November, but didn't mention the CD of that actual cast in that actual production that was currently available in the foyer. I could see it for sale, but there were no signs to tell people that it was the recording of the cast they were there to see, which I'm sure would boost sales.

I did notice quite a few people getting their photos taken next to the big posters too, which made me laugh. It was clearly a very big deal for a lot of people.

Thank you for your report Snowdrop, I bet it was an amotional day for all of them.

They did all work so hard. Shame they dont seem to promote the CD at all.

Brilliant review from someone who was in doubt first Heather, another convert in the business. :thumbsup:

Thanks Heather another great opinion. We need it in bold letterS!!

So you Maggiemags and Jenjo went to the very final show of the tour Snowdrop. Blimey I would have been in bits.

Thanks for the report. Why oh why is there not more promotion for the CD?

Dare we hope that it may appear alongside any DVD's in the shops?

Glad you all had a good time.