Southampton Mayflower Theatre

Snowdrop

Les Mis is heading there now, in fact, according to their Facebook, they were getting 13 lorry loads of set and costumes today! :jump:

http://www.facebook.com/mayflowertheatre

This very handy page on the theatre's website gives updates as to what ticket availability there is for each night, and their Twitter, http://twitter.com/mayflower should be telling us of any last minute tickets released - and maybe some other useful stuff. :thumbsup:

Fab review from last night.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8357039.Les_Miserables_celebrates_25th_year/

Les Miserables celebrates 25th year

7:47am Friday 27th August 2010

* By Lorelei Reddin » Entertainments Editor

Les Miserables, The Mayflower, Southampton.

EVERY superlative in the English dictionary must have been used to describe Les Miserables over the years, but the 25th anniversary production is just about as close to musical theatre perfection as you are ever likely to encounter.

Cameron Mackintosh has pulled out all the stops for this revised version, with a spectacular cast who deserved every second of their lengthy and rapturous standing ovation. The applause was thunderous, or in the case of Earl Carpenter’s Javert, the boos and hisses were deafening.

Carpenter is the perfect villain opposite John Owen Jones who turns in the most incredible performance as Jean Valjean.

Gareth Gates is a revelation as Marius, showing off a remarkable vocal range and sizzling alongside both Katie Hall as Cosette and Rosalind James as Eponine.

Lynne Wilmot and Ashley Artus have bags of fun and perfect comedy timing as the grotesque thenardiers and Toby Prynne, our Gavroche, is surely a star in the making.

Much of the first act is spent on introductions to the huge cast of characters which feature in this dark tale set amid the chaos of post-revolution France.

Victor Hugo’s tragic yet inspirational story is one of forgiveness, love, betrayal and sacrifice for the greater good. These are themes as old as time, but Les Miserables is now bought firmly into the 21st century with thrilling special effects which give the show a cinematic feel.

The score is spine-tingling, the set design ingenious and the story as poignant as ever.

This is one musical theatre institution that has only got better with age.

Tickets for the remainder of the three-week run are scarce, but do all you can to see the World’s longest-running musical. Just don’t forget your tissues.

Les Miserables runs until Saturday September 11. Box office 023 8071 1811

Thanks Val, I am really enjoying reading the fantastic reviews for Gareth and the whole of the cast

I just wish they would record a DVD at the Barbican , it's too good not to be able to watch again and I'm sure they'd make a fortune with the sales .

Thanks Floz for the pics which are lovely, I could have sworn Katie Hall's hair was shorter than that 2 weeks ago , but it couldn't have been :unsure:

Perhaps the most surprising performance, however, came in the form of Gareth Gate’s Marius. Although following in the footsteps of various other well know actors/performers into the part of Marius his acting was the most convincing and his vocals the most powerful I have seen since Michael Ball’s performance for the 10th Anniversary tour.

http://www.thepublicreviews.com/les-miserables-25th-anniversary-tour-mayflower-theatre-southampton/

These reviews are just getting better and better. Love reading them all. Thanks.

Earl Carpenter is superb as Javert, particularly when he too is on the receiving end of an act of almost incomprehensible mercy; Gareth Gates is similarly impressive as Marius, adding huge colour to the part of the young lover.

I would think Gareth himself would be particularly pleased with this review, where they talk of him in the same breath as Earl Carpenter.

Another great review with fantastic praise for Gareth again

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/leisure/entertainments/8368621.Les_Mis_a_joy_to_behold/

As for Gareth Gates as student Marius, I never thought there’d be a day I could say Gareth Gates made me cry, but Empty Chairs at Empty Tables had tears streaming down my cheeks and he held his own amidst a company of incredible singers.

That's another great review Val. Well they are all great.

I think we need to be keeping these articles so we can relive them when it's finished. :(

WHETHER you are a Les Misérables virgin or a fanatical follower, it’s impossible not to be impressed by Cameron Mackintosh’s 25th anniversary production of the world’s longest-running musical.

Having never seen the show before I was very excited to catch it at the Mayflower, and it did not disappoint, sweeping me along with its tale of forgiveness, love and sacrifice from start to finish.

John Owen-Jones turns in an amazing performance as Jean Valjean, a man haunted by his past, and he works brilliantly opposite Earl Carpenter’s portrayal of the obsessive Inspector Javert.

Both men’s vocal ability is incredible and their renditions of the show’s well-known songs are powerful and heartfelt.

Rosalind James is a soulful Éponine and engages well with the audience, particularly during On My Own, which she gave a more contemporary feel. As for Gareth Gates as student Marius, I never thought there’d be a day I could say Gareth Gates made me cry, but Empty Chairs at Empty Tables had tears streaming down my cheeks and he held his own amidst a company of incredible singers.

Madalena Alberto’s Fantine was poignant and Toby Prynne is a star in the making judging by his performance as cheeky street-wise urchin Gavroche.

Ashley Artus and Lynne Wilmot brought some much needed comedy moments to this dark tale as the grasping Thénardiers, and their performance of Master of the House was one of my favourite songs, done with perfect comic timing and using the set to create a visual spectacular.

The sets throughout the show are ingenious, with the use of CGI backdrops giving the scenes depth and creating a cinematic feel to the show.

I left the theatre feeling emotional and in utter awe of the entire cast and the show as a whole. It’s difficult to put into words just how good this show is, so if you can get hold of tickets go and see it for yourself.

I think when she says "It's difficult to put into words just how good this show is" is how I felt when I have seen it.