Gareth speaking in Parliament (7th September)

Guest NicolaJayne

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gareth has had this posted on his Facebook page

71179_22143480870_4095013_q.jpg Gareth Gates Gareth Gates to talk to MPs about life with a communication difficulty

Today Gareth Gates will be briefing Conservative MPs at the Houses of Parliament on the devastating effect that a communication difficulty has on the individual, their lives and the wider society.

The singer and West End star will share his personal experiences of living with a stammer as part of a Conservative briefing on communication disability hosted by the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists and the Centre for Social Justice.

Gareth says: "Communication is everything. Having a communication difficulty like a stammer shapes and controls a person's life beyond belief. Imagine the one thing people take for granted – to be able to speak – being taken away from you.

"By speaking today I hope to shed light on the issues that surround speech and language difficulties. In particular, through my own experiences, I want to explain how the inability to converse and communicate drastically shapes and moulds people's lives. It determines the sort of people they become and the paths they follow.

"Fortunately for me, I had a way out. I found music, which became my form of release, allowing me to finally express myself. However, there are people who won't find a release or a passion and their inability to speak will change their entire lives, whether that is through a stammer or another communication difficulty."

David Amess MP, who has organised the briefing with Robert Buckland MP, says: "In this National Year of Speech Language and Communication, it is vital that parliamentarians recognise the significant impact communication disability has on the individual, their ability to form relationships, access education and gain employment."

-Ends-

This is such an achievement and an honour for him to be chosen to do this. No more than he deserves I may add.

I think you're right Khelda. I've sat through 2 hours of waffle and no sign of Gareth.

The MP for Winchester tweeted a pic of Gareth after forgetting to include it in his original tweet

@valjcooper @gpgnet Sorry, here it is. Am back in Chamber now so website update later! yfrog.com/kfzirynj

post-132-0-34522200-1315407648.jpg

Guest NicolaJayne

My daughter has just gone and just seen Gareths Twitter watching Parliament at the moment but think there will other debates going on at the same time so probably won't be televised. Its all very boring.

Nice pic Val thanks for that.

That's a lovely photo.

Here is another one but only a back view. http://yfrog.com/h68yenpj

Looks like Gareth is with the MP, possibly his speech coach (his Lionel) and Ali.

Isn't this just a lovely tweet? :wub:http://twitter.com/#!/HelloLeeds

Best wishes for tomorrow. You are a great ambassador for ALL those who struggle with communication. Thank you!