Saturday Night Show RTE 8th October

Val4Gareth

Hair: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical is a rock musical with a book and lyrics by James Rado and Gerome Ragni and music by Galt MacDermot. A product of the hippie counter-culture and sexual revolution of the 1960s, several of its songs became anthems of the anti-Vietnam War peace movement. The musical's profanity, its depiction of the use of illegal drugs, its treatment of sexuality, its irreverence for the American flag, and its nude scene caused much comment and controversy.[1] The musical broke new ground in musical theatre by defining the genre of "rock musical", using a racially integrated cast, and inviting the audience onstage for a "Be-In" finale.[2]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently that bit isn't compulsory Khelda! You are quoting something, could you provide a link please?

Val, Was it definitely Hair in the West End? That was on in the West End last year and it closed early, so I'd be surprised if they were staging it again so soon.

There's no need to worry about posting spoilers. Anyone not wanting to know about the interview shouldn't come into a thread about it, and anyone not wanting to know what Gareth is up to next shouldn't be visiting the boards at all.

I'm not too sure now Snowdrop, whether he said the WE or not. I think I just assumed that bit, but he definitely said Hair. Perhaps Sue heard a bit better than me. I got so excited when he said it I went a bit blank for a minute.

It was live streamed.

I didn't realise. I thought we had to wait until afterwards, so thought perhaps Val had got word from someone.

If you've all been watching, can you tell the rest of us a bit more, like what Gareth was wearing, how long he was on for, anything else that was said by him, or about him please?

Yes, I knew about the "watch again" facility - I didn't realise there was a "watch live" option. Unfortunately, tonight's show isn't up yet, so we'll just have to wait.

If should be here eventually. http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1114973

About how far into the show was Gareth on? So we can jump right to the relevant bit please?

Gareth wore a grey suit, spoke very well, and seemed fairly relaxed. Talked quite a lot about speech problems of course and the programme,and that he was going to be teaching in Galway and the date. Also about the BBC 3 Doc. to take 5 people through the course. He did say on questioning that some girls have enrolled and put on a stammer to try and get into the course. Think he was joking. Also said Missy was already singing.

It seems it may be reopening in the WE according to the telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/theatre-features/7528239/Hippie-replacement-Hair-returns-to-Londons-West-End.html

Gareth spoke lots about his speech and the program he's doing. He said it would be on mid November. There will be 5 students whose lives are badly effected by their stammer. He takes them through a course and we then see what a difference it has made to their lives. He also spoke about PI saying that if he hadn't gone into the business that way, he probably wouldn't have been able to do it any other way because of his stammer.

Oh and when talking about the program he was doing for the BBC, the interviewer made a joke about him being able to say it and Gareth laughed and kept saying BBC over and over again.

He was wearing a very smart suit, which to me looking like he was beginning to grow out of.

About how far into the show was Gareth on? So we can jump right to the relevant bit please?

There were two guests on before him. Shane from Boyzone and someone else, whose name I can't remember. I think it was about half an hour into the show, maybe a bit more. I think he was onn for about 15-20 minutes.

I totally agree with the spoilers thing,I have actually came into this thread hoping for spoilers lol :) Thank you so much to Val and Susan for telling us what had happened :) and to Khelda for showing us a bit what you found about the musical :)

I really don't know how Gareth manages to fit in so much in his life bless him,we must be the most proud fans ever and no wonder :)

The article in the Telegraph is from last year and is about last year's staging of the show. I think it's more probable they are taking it on tour.

I'm totally confused now. The date on that article is today's date. Why would that be if its from last year.

I hope Gareth announces this properly on Monday.

Knowing nothing about the show myself, does everyone think this will be a good move for Gareth or not.

I'm totally confused now. The date on that article is today's date. Why would that be if its from last year.

The website has today's date at the top, but if you scroll down, you'll see the date the article was published next to the name of the writer.

Knowing nothing about the show myself, does everyone think this will be a good move for Gareth or not.

I think this merits a thread of its own, so I'll save my thoughts for that. Would one of the people who saw the show and the news like to start it please? News of Gareth doing a new show is much more important than a tv appearance, so it seems daft to discuss it in here where it will get lost.

Have to agree with you about Manchester Sophie,only as i live there lol,I do hope you will be able to go and see him bless you :)

Val I don't know anything about the show either so I can't help there however to be honest I got myself all over excited the other week at the thought of Phantom of the Opera doing a tour and Gareth getting a part in it as mum had read somewhere a rumour of one,but I told myself not to build my hopes up so I didnt really say anything to anyone about it.