Children of Eden Concert, 29th January

Val4Gareth

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another convert. :)

Claire R

Gareth Gates has kinda impressed me tonight too. Never seen him in anything before but he's pretty good. Makes me less worried about Hair

London Theatre @LondonTheatre1

@musicaltalk wasn't Gareth gates superb!

The show was absolutely amazing. So glad we made our last minute decision to go. The first act was stolen for me by Gareth and Louise Dearman. Gareth's voice just gets better every time I see him. He sang four times in all which was more than I was expecting so that was a bonus. His acting and speech was flawless. John Wilding looks to be a qute promising actor but he didn't have much singing and I found his voice a bit wanting as I did Oliver Thornton, but the acting was superb. Act two wasn't as good performance wise for me, but I was very impressed with Brenda Edwards voice and she was very popular with the audience, Gareth didn't appear at all in the seond act until the curtain call. There was a speech at the end from Schonberg where he thanked everyone for giving their time to the Crohns & Collitus Charity. He then handed over to the person there to represent the charity but I can't remember his name. When Schonberg stepped back towards the rest of the cast, he immediately went to Gareth and shook his hand and spoke to him. He then shook hands with two other actors and turned back to speak again with Gareth. Also when he had been speaking, you could see the admiration for him on Gareth's face, moreso than any of the other actors.

There was someone sat in one of the boxes just in front of us who videoed the whole show and a lady with him taking what looked like professional pictures, As we went out I was very cheeky and went over and asked the man if he'd been filming for a DVD. He said he was doing it for the producer and didn't think he'd have the rights to release a DVD but you never know.

We hung around for a while to see if Gareth was going to come out, but one of the theatre staff told us that the cast were meeting the peopoe who paid for the executive tickets and would then be having a party so wouldn't be out until after 11, so we didn't wait. We had seen Gareth on his way into the theatre just after 6 o'clock and he was lovely and friendly so we didn't really mind not seeing him again. He looked amazing as usual with a fantastic tan. I joked with him about not getting that good a one in one week's holiday and he laughed and mentioned the dreaded sunbed. He arrived at the theatre with Russell Grant and Louise Dearman so we thought they must have been out for some food together. Forgot to say earlier, Russell was very funny as the Snake. Enjoyed his role with the dancers.

We saw Ann and her husband a couple of times both before the show when she had her picture taken with Gareth and again afterwards. She was still making poor Peter wait to see if Gareth did make an appearance when we left. Did it work Ann? Or did you give up in the end? Was lovely seeing and chatting with you both.

Thanks for your lovely review, Val, so glad you had a fabulous time. Wish I had known that Gareth would sing 4 times (I did try to find out), as it might have affected my decision on whether to go. I couldn't really justify the cost and difficulty of getting there when I thought he might only have one song. I noticed a tweet from someone saying they were filming and asked if there would be a DVD or CD, but no response yet. It really would be an opportunity missed to raise more for the charity, as I've seen several more tweets asking the same.

BTW I think it was John Caird that gave the speech at the end and spoke to Gareth (he wrote the book and was hosting the event).

Thanls again.

Linda

BTW I think it was John Caird that gave the speech at the end and spoke to Gareth (he wrote the book and was hosting the event).

You could be right Linda. I'm not very good with names and I heard Schonberg mentioned, but it may not have been him.

Thanks for the links to the pictures Chris. The angle they were taken from could well have been the ones the lady in front of us took. Nice ones of Gareth at the party too.

Thanks for a great report Val.

Was on tenderhooks last night wondering how it was all going. So fab to think Gareth sang 4 songs. What a pleasant surprise.

So lovely to hear of Gareth being spoke to at the end. This snippetts make for lovely reading.

I found this from someone else who was in the audience.

She sounds like a fan of the show and seems has actually performed in it too.

She doesn't sound like a particular Gareth fan (to begin with) but her post makes for lovely reading:

I attended and had a delightful evening.

I've performed the revised version of the show before and know the material pretty well.

They cut two sections. The Naming of the Animals and The Return of the Animals. For understandable reasons of the later I think.

The band was in good sound though stripped down to around 14? Loved hearing the big choral sound from what looked like 40 plus students.

I failed to get a program as they sold out so would love to hear who the two younger guys were as Storytellers? One blond one darker haired and with fantastic vocals and some lovely high Cs. Also I think I recognised Chloe Hart as one of the female Storytellers. They get a couple of memorable bit of recit to sing plus one lame but catchy number - "Generations".

I have no idea who the boy playing Abel was but the less I say would be best. In comparison I found Gareth Gates a treat as Cain. Sure he can have some odd phrasing but he has such a nice rich tone. And he popped out the delicious high notes in that part.

Oli Thornton did exactly what I expected. He must be one of the West End's marmite performers judging on the range of views among my friends re his performances over the last 8 years.

I had no idea who the rest of the cast were to be honest apart from Louise Dearman. A fabulous actress with of the most exciting and unique voices in the industry. She knocked "Spark of Creation" out of the park and then reduced me to tears with the title song - also gets a lovely scene before the song that is bound to melt the hardest hard.

Didn't care for the excessive vocal scooping from Father. A good performance though in terms of approaching a tricky part.

Loved the Snake dancers. A delight!

Didn't care for Yapeth. A voice lacking in colour.

Did enjoy Yonah. And found Brenda Edwards solid and fiesty with "Aint it Good".

This is a show that is a pleasure to perform. Its great fun to sing and has bags of roles. The problem is that it just isn't a great show from a critical perspective but so pleased it is finding a new lease of life.

So pleased to support a good cause last night and bravo to every for giving up their time for this

And another post from someone else who attended last night. :thumbsup:

I must admit that Gareth Gates was one of the few highlights for me last night. I was really very pleasently surprised. He's obviously had some good training and i look forward to seeing him in more shows.

Thanks so much for the wonderful report Val - I was thinking of you both last night and just wishing I could have been with you. It sounds as though you had a really good time and I'm pleased you managed to have a word with Gareth before the show.

From the comments I've seen so far, everyone is praising Gareth - isn't it brilliant that he is being seen by so many people now!

Thanks for those great reviews Chris. How wonderful to see people saying such lovely things about this extremely talented young man.

I was thinking of you both last night and just wishing I could have been with you.

I think Doris could have done with you there today more than any other Val. Euston Station was closed because someone was killed on the line and she was diverted to a different station. I think she's probably only just getting home now.