Sleeping Beauty 2012

Val4Gareth

I'm not worried. I'm disappointed. It greatly limits his choice, and a lot less things are possible because of it. I know a few fans who don't like to admit to being disappointed, but I know some are. We know Gareth enjoys doing panto, and gets a lot from it in terms of his speech etc, but I'm a fan of Gareth, the singer. Even if I could make it to see Gareth in Canterbury, I'd still rather he was doing something else that shows off his singing better.

He couldn't do Wicked last year as rumoured, because he was supposed to be doing Hair (and Aladdin), and this announcement means he won't be available for the next cast change. It means he can't do any part in a main West End show until at least next February, because all of the big shows expect their cast to commit to more than a couple of months - apart from a few exceptional circumstances. There are also a lot of Christmas concert events in December, that Gareth is unavailable for, which I'd love to see him do. I see adverts for these shows starring some of Gareth's peers, and I wish I could see him in one of them. But that's never going to happen when he's stuck doing 12 shows a week in Margate!

Gareth might be able to squeeze in a short stint in a touring production, or he might be considered if a show has a very limited run in the West End, with no plans to extend.

Maybe there is some grand plan. Perhaps there is something brilliant lined up that happens to finish in the middle of November that will be announced any day - but having Sleeping Beauty announced first, it makes it look like that's all there is. If there is something else up their sleeve, they need to announce it soon.

I understand what you're saying there and to be honest I would also rather a westend role of been confirmed and feel a bit sad at the thought it may be next year before he gets a part in one now.

Maybe there is some grand plan. Perhaps there is something brilliant lined up that happens to finish in the middle of November that will be announced any day - but having Sleeping Beauty announced first, it makes it look like that's all there is. If there is something else up their sleeve, they need to announce it soon

Thats what i'm hoping, something up their sleeve that will get everyone buzzing or lots and lots more gigs as singing is what he is all about even though he has many talents, his amazing voice will always be number one.

Thats the trouble though Hair being cancelled as half of this year was meant to be filled with that so Gareth and his management wasn't left with much choice

Guest NicolaJayne

I am hoping too that Gareth gets a West End role or maybe a touring show before the Panto as if not that just leaves him with summer festivals for the rest of the year, and maybe occasional Musical Theatre shows. We do need to see Gareth the singer, but maybe he is concentrating on writing for his next album and doesn't want to be too tied up. We don't yet know what his plans are for the rest of the year, just hope we hear something else soon. Gareth is first and foremost a singer but does seem to be enjoying more acting roles which he wasn't able to do before, so he could be getting some TV work as it was hinted after the Stammering programme that he got such good reviews that it was going to open doors for him in that direction.

Guest NicolaJayne

Just like to let people know who are thinking of booking that there are big discounts for the first weekend I was very surprised to get a SC ticket for £13 50 half price.

Guest NicolaJayne

Thank you Chris lovely little interview, love Gareths sense of humour saying he wanted to be Sleeping Beauty but they wouldn't let him HA HA

Awww true, its good to know he finds it easier to promote himself now and when you think about it, to an extent his stammer probably got in his way of promoting himself making me realise it stands in the way of a lot more than we sometimes think.

Thanks for the link Chris :D x

Yes that was funny.

I loved the interview because it seemed he rang out of the blue. They seemed suprised to hear from him.

I've never listened to this radio station, so I can't be sure, but I know it's quite common to have a feature where the DJs have to interview a surprise guest with no proper preparation. It's always a worry that the DJ won't be sure who they are - even when they've been told, which is probably why they think it's funny. :shiftyninja:

Good job they know Gareth! :thumbsup: And I agree that it's wonderful that Gareth has all of these new opportunities to talk about his work these days. :D

Guest NicolaJayne

I also think its great Gareth can now promote himself more, which must have held him back and been very frustrating for him. Shame that the interview in OK came before the anouncement for Loserville.