Press launch for Marlowe's panto

Snowdrop

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It's a great interview.

Not sure when it is done because it talks of going into Legally Blonde so may have been done when Gareth was there for the launch.

I don't think I am liking the idea of the Jungle or Big Brother but as Gareth says never say never. He must be asked to do loads of things I would think.

Who is Tok by the way?

Have kept copy of the interview here too:

Gareth Gates says his piece… loud and clear

Joe Bill, Features Reporter Monday, November 19, 2012

9:41 AM

Joe Bill meets the singing sensation who won all our hearts ahead of his Sleeping Beauty appearance

Gareth Gates. Sleeping Beauty , the Marlowe Theatre pantomime.

It was little more than a decade ago that a reality television show grabbed hold of UK viewers and refused to release them. Pop Idol was an early incarnation of what is now The X Factor and it was within this show that one of the most memorable reality moments – one that many would remember for years to come – would occur.

Will versus Gareth… the papers went crazy, there was voting scandal, protests and tears. It was off the back of this battle that Simon Cowell has strengthened his hold on UK primetime TV.

One half of that epic struggle was 17-year-old Gareth Gates, the boy with the voice of an angel with whom Brits fell in love as he struggled to overcome severe speech difficulties to win a record contract.

He lost out to Will Young in the Pop Idol tussle, but his courage and drive meant that producing hits soon became the norm.

But now, more than 10 years on, the Bradford lad is no longer just a pin-up star for teens – he is up in front of the real critics as he makes a career on stage in West End hit shows like Les Miserables and Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

There was tension in the air as I walked into our agreed Canterbury hotel and I was introduced not only to Gates, who stars in this winter’s Marlowe Theatre panto, but also to Tok, his compatriot from the McGuire Speech Programme.

Gates told me: “We are part of the McGuire speech-therapy programme. It is an ongoing thing. It’s something there’s no cure for. If an athlete doesn’t train, it’s the same as if we don’t do our breathing exercises – and we will find that affects us speech-wise.”

He is also an instructor on the programme and teaches others with a stammer how to progress their speech.

The star, who is playing Prince Charming, is told to slow down by Tok as he continues.

“I have bad days. For instance, I was on Loose Women recently. I have done that show many times before, but for some reason, maybe being busy with shows, being tired, or other factors, I had a really bad interview speech-wise. That knocked my confidence, which is why having Tok around and people from the programme helps me get back to it.”

In the UK alone, Gates has sold 3.5 million records, released three albums and had four UK No 1 singles. He had the Smash Hits record of the year in 2002 and the second-best-selling single of the ‘Noughties’ with Unchained Melody, beaten only by his old rival Will Young with the song Evergreen.

But it is his performances on stage that are now making headlines. Once he is up there, the stammer is no issue.

“Scripts and things like that are a lot easier than general conversation. I just learn the scripts, build up the confidence and then I’m fine on stage.

“For example, I’m in a show called Loserville in Leeds, so that’s a really serious acting role. Speech-wise it has been a great challenge, but once I’m rehearsed I’m fine. I am in character… I am not Gareth up there.”

He is excited about adding to his list of stage appearances in The Marlowe’s Sleeping Beauty this Christmas.

“I love panto – it’s fun. It’s one of those jobs that you can interact with the audience. I’ve done Les Mis, Joseph, Loserville and am about to go into Legally Blonde with the leading lady [Faye Brookes] from this show, which will be great. But you can’t really interact with the audience because it’s about telling the story.

“With panto, it’s just fun and the cast are very talented here so I am really, really looking forward to it.”

Gates has come a long way since his first live audition in front of Cowell and friends, but he’s grateful for the opportunity the show gave.

“I was young, only 17. I had no real clue as to how huge it was going to be, how my life would change. I’m glad I was that young because I never really questioned anything and just enjoyed the experience.

“I don’t think there has been a final show since that gripped the nation as much as the ‘Will versus Gareth’ thing. It is one of those events in life where so many people know exactly where they were when it was going on.

It has given me a great opportunity and I went on to sell millions of records, have several No 1s and live the dream..

“Theatre is something I have always wanted to do and I’m fortunate that what I have done has opened lots of doors.”

And although he made his name through reality TV and appeared in ITV’s Dancing On Ice, Gates is not ready to go back down that route just yet.

“I often get asked to go into Big Brother or the jungle. Never say never, but, I mean, the shows that I’ve done like Pop Idol and Dancing On Icerequire you to be good at something or to learn a skill and that’s what I like.

“I like the challenging aspect as opposed to just being sat in a house. Never say never, and it’s good for profile and things like that but for now I am fine. This theatre thing is taking off and while those offers are there I think why not ride with it.”

n In 2011 Gareth spent time planning and filming a documentary that showed the struggle faced by people with a stammer. Gareth Gates’ Stop My Stutter aired on BBC Three earlier this year and showed the performer helping to teach young stammerers the McGuire Technique, in a bid to change their lives.

And despite a now close friendship with his Pop Idol rival Will Young, it is clear to see that for Gareth Gates there are still plenty of battles to come.

Gareth Gates will appear in Sleeping Beauty at The Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury, from Friday, November 30, to Sunday, January 20. Phone 01227 787787 or visit www.marlowetheatre.com.

Guest NicolaJayne

Amazing article thank you for the link Chris, so pleased the panto is such a huge success and I feel so lucky that I am booked twice the first time a week on Saturday, then after Christmas.I think its only the second night.One thing is for sure Gareth can certainly boost panto ticket sales, think the Panto he was in last year was also no 1 Panto.

Nice article in This Is Kent.

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Stars-rise-panto/story-17402947-detail/story.html

Stars rise up to put on panto

W ITH just a week to go until opening night, rehearsals for Sleeping Beauty, the Marlowe Theatre's spectacular pantomime are well underway.

West End staricon1.png Gareth Gates makes his Marlowe Theatre debut as the Prince in his fourth pantomime.

1. 4337940.jpg
    IN THE SPIRIT: Gareth Gates and Toyah Wilcox at rehearsals for Sleeping Beauty at the Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury

The star who shot to fame in 2002 after finishing runner-up to Will Young in the first series of Pop Idol is excited about the forthcoming production.

He said: "I really enjoy pantomime. It is a lot of fun, you can ad lib, have a laugh and most of all it gets everyone in the Christmasicon1.png spirit."

"I've never spent a lot of time in Canterbury, but it is a really lovely city and I am looking forward to getting the show started."

Since rocketing to stardom, Gareth has starred in numerous West End productions including Les Miserables, Joseph And His Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat and most recently Legally Blonde but said there is something magical about pantomime.

He added: "Panto is really popular in Bradford, it is a big theatre city and it was a big part of my life growing up.

"I have a daughter, Missy who is three and she is starting to understand what Christmas is all about.

"She will definitely come down and see the show.

"She saw last year's show 20 odd times.

"There was one moment last year when the ghosticon1.png was behind me and after everyone had stopped shouting, she said "Daddy, he's behind you" and everyone in the theatre was laughing."

The father of one, split from his wife of three years, Suzanne Moles last month, amid rumours of an affair with his Legally Blonde co-star Faye Brookes.

Faye joins Gareth on stage as his leading lady Sleeping Beauty and former punk princess Toyah Wilcox returns to the theatre for her sixth Canterbury pantomime, as Carabosse, the bad fairy.

Toyah said her love of pantomime and the shows by Evolution Productions, the creative team behind Sleeping Beauty keeps drawing her back to the theatre.

She said: "I like the history of pantomime, the concept and genre.

"The production team have brought it back to the original storytelling genre, that sticks to the story of good versus evil, and where good always wins.

"It is very funny and clever show.

"I can't wait to open, I think it is a winner."

Katrina Bryan best known as Nina from the CBeebies series Nina and the Neurons will perform in her first pantomime outside of Scotland, as the Good Fairy.

Margate-born comedian and actor Lloyd Hollett makes his return to the Marlowe Theatre, where he takes up the role of Jangles the storyteller.

In 2007, Lloyd appeared alongside Stephen Mulhern and Shaun Williamson in Aladdin.

Lloyd, a former student at Hartsdown, said he is thrilled to be performing at the revamped theatre.

Lloyd who lives in Westgate said he is thrilled to be performing close to home.

He said: "It is great to be back at the Marlowe and this will be the first time in four years that I will be at home for Christmas, which will be lovely."

Ben Roddy returns to the Marlowe Theatre, for his fourth Canterbury pantomime, and this year plays the Dame, Nurse Nellie.

Although he has appeared in 15 pantomimes, this will be the first time Ben, has played the Dame.

Sleeping Beauty has a mammoth run of 93 shows but Ben insists it is "not like real work".