Big Reunion 2014 - 5th Story TV programme

Gazfan

I guess we just have to trust Gareth in what he's doing. He is smart and he must see something in this project that is beneficial to him.

The thing is though, the first series was very successful but that is because most of the bands on there were big first time around. They also managed to do 2 tours out of it and some are doing other stuff now. 5ive did their own Uk/Oz tour which was successful and I believe 911 are touring next year aswell. Them along with Atomic Kitten and Liberty X (although think they have chosen to stop) could go on and do new music. I just don't see them ever topping the first series, but you know what Gareth IS probably the most successful out of the next lot and that can only be a good thing for him.

And Gareth finally mentions something - Gareth_Gates: Can't wait for The BigReunion... Ive written some brilliant new songs and it's a good why of getting back into that world again.

Thanks for giving us a bit of an insight into what happened on the Big Renunion last year. I must admit to not watching it or being remotely interested.

The article from the Metro gives us an idea of who is appearing and their past history:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/27/eternal-damage-and-gareth-gates-wholl-you-be-watching-on-the-big-reunion-in-2014-2-4243092

I think now I have got used to the idea, I feel a bit more positive although I am not keen on any joint album release. Was there one for last year?

The general feel on Twitter is positive too, even from Dan Wootton from The Sun.

Dan Wootton@danwootton

Amazing Big Reunion 2 news from @NatalieSEdwards What a line-up! Esp the Kenzie/Gareth Gates/Adam Rickett/Dane Bowers super group.

(Might be worth following the above- Dan Wootton and NatalieS Edwards on Twitter too)

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NicolaJayne

I also was very surprised About the news as Gareth has too good a voice IMO to be in Group, but I wish him well look forward to seeing him and hope it all works out well for him. It is going to put him back in the eye of the public as if you are not a musical theatre goer then you would probably think Gareth was not still in the music business.

They have an article in the T&A with a lovely picture.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/10902195.Bradford_star_Gareth_Gates_makes_return_to_his_pop_roots/

Bradford star Gareth Gates makes return to his pop roots

8:00am Saturday 28th December 2013 in News

2794024.jpg?type=articlePortrait
Singing star Gareth Gates is joining a new ‘supergroup’

Gareth Gates will be returning to his pop roots in 2014 for TV’s The Big Reunion.

The Bradford singer, who shot to fame as the runner-up on Pop Idol in 2002, will be one fifth of a new ‘supergroup’ comprised largely of former members of nineties boy bands.

Called 5th Story, the group will appear on the new series of ITV2 show The Big Reunion. The first series brought back acts such as Atomic Kitten, B*Witched and 5ive for an arena tour, and the follow-up will reunite the likes of Eternal, A1 and Damage.

In 5th Story, Gareth will team up with Adam Rickitt, who played a teenage Nick Tilsley in Coronation Street before carving a pop career; Dane Bowers from Another Level; solo singer Anthony Kavana and Kenzie from urban pop combo Blazin’ Squad.

Originally from East Bowling, Gareth went to Dixons City Academy and was a choirboy at Bradford Cathedral. After Pop Idol, in which he lost out in the final to Will Young, he enjoyed a successful pop career; going on to sell more than three million singles in the UK.

Over recent years Gareth has moved into musical theatre, starring in such shows as Les Miserables, Legally Blonde, Momentous Musicals and a concert version of Boogie Nights which came to St George’s Hall in Bradford this year.

He played an acoustic set at Bingley Arts Centre in the summer, and appeared at Bradford venue Skybar.

Gareth, who runs Bradford performing arts school the Gates&Wilkes Academy with musical theatre star Jonathan Wilkes, will be appearing on Dancing On Ice’s all-star series in January.

I'm really not sure what I think about this....

Think we posted at the same time Sophie.

Several of us are feeling the same. I am sure once it starts and we see Gareth back on TV we will think it a good idea. It is certainly getting lots of media attention at the moment with Gareth featuring prominently.

I've been seeing a lot if criticism about this, which is getting me even more worried that it's a bad idea. I think my problem is I really don't rate any of the other members that are going to be in the group.

I've been seeing a lot if criticism about this, which is getting me even more worried that it's a bad idea. I think my problem is I really don't rate any of the other members that are going to be in the group.

That's the concern I have too Laura.

However having said that, it may work in Gareth's favour if he stands out from the rest of them in the shows, which in my opinion, he obviously will.

Hopefully! Gareth is a very good performer and has proved that he is very suited to being on stage. Perhaps this move wasn't wise, as other people has said. I wouldn't class the other people as 'talented artists.' (I think they've had their day) I hope that this TV show proves me wrong!

Well, I did love the first series and I did end up going on the tour due to the fact that I loved 5ive and b*witched when I was younger and was really interested to hear their side of the story. I will watch it this time around but think Gareth will be the only person in the line up I will be interested in. Still not very keen on Gareth being involved in it but will look forward to seeing him more on tv.

I didn't watch the Big Reunion , but all the groups on the show had been very big , the ones in the group with Gareth haven't been big except maybe Dane Bowers . Adam Rickets didn't do well as a singer, I also thought he was very wooden in Coronation St . I liked Cavana , but he never did well , and he was singing in a local pub not long ago . Blazing Squad were big for a time . I'm still not keen on the idea at all .

Well, I did love the first series and I did end up going on the tour due to the fact that I loved 5ive and b*witched when I was younger and was really interested to hear their side of the story. I will watch it this time around but think Gareth will be the only person in the line up I will be interested in. Still not very keen on Gareth being involved in it but will look forward to seeing him more on tv.

It's interesting Brown Eyes Chantel that you followed the programme and also went to the tour. You will be able to advise us on the format of both the programme and the tour (or at least how it worked, first time round).

Can I ask did you make up your mind to go to the tour before seeing the programme or was it the programme that encouraged you to see the tour?

I loved the first series too. But I grew up with a lot of those bands and loved 5ive aswell. Actually went to see 5ive on their solo tour, wanted to go to the big reunion tour but couldn't get time off. I did however see a lot of the tour on youtube and it was well received and looked like a great show. I like you don't really have an interest in any of the others in series 2, if Gareth hadn't been involved then I doubt I would be watching

Guest NicolaJayne

I have never watched the programme but always thought it was for groups that had disbanded to get back together and resurrect their career. So the more I think about it the more I wonder why Gareth is involved as he is a solo singer and far too good to be in a band unless of course he is the main member and gets to sing lots on his own. Maybe it's a spring board to start the promotion for his new album. Does anyone know how long does this programme last.

The last series "The Big reunion" had 9 episodes (I think) showing for an hour once a week. The first few weeks concentrate on different stories so for example last year week 1 was about 5ive and Liberty X, week 2 was Atomic Kitten and 911 and so on round about episode 6 or so you would see first rehearsals and this is pretty much the same up until the last episode where it showed their performance in front of the crowd.

They also went on tour so they had another series big reunion on tour which was I think 3 episodes

Then they had a Christmas special as they recorded Christmas single for text Santa

It will all depend on how successful this years one will be but I would assume it would be the same as far as the series goes. Although I have heard this goes straight to a tour with no one night performance in London (not sure how true that is) so it could be completely different this year