Stables, Milton Keynes 14th June 2015

Val4Gareth

It seems Gareth is continuing his Acoustic tour with Jai McDowell next year.

The Stables MK @StablesMK

Si it has Chris. Sorry I missed that. Been so out of the loop lately.

Don't worry Val. Think we are all out of the loop at the moment, with the busyness of Christmas.

With a busy 2014 for Gareth we haven't yet had time to even start any threads for 2015!

This looks like a nice venue: https://images.tickets.com/images/primarysales/gpl/STAB_VOS_3.html

• 5 months later...
Guest NicolaJayne

This venue would have been ideal for me but as its the same day as my 40th wedding anniversary it's just not a option.unfortunately

• 3 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to go to this gig last night after a very kind offer of a lift at the last minute.

What a night!!

Must admit to having to skip Jai McDowell and his attitude :angry:

Gareth burst onto the stage in his eighties jacket and white T shirt. He looked very rock and roll!

It was just him and Pete ...... and a Grand Piano!!! :jump:

What an absolute surprise and treat this was.

It sort of meant that the evening had a slower ballady feel to it because, of course, lots of numbers were played at the piano.Gareth said that it was nice to get back to the more relaxed atmosphere, different to his current gigs at Holiday Parks (which must be more rocky).

I'm not good at remembering setlists(hopefully Linda and her fantastic memory will fill you in on the rest) but remember Anyone Of Us, Say It Isn't So and That's When You Know all played at the piano. It was wonderful!

It was another great venue. Gareth seemed to love Milton Keynes and they loved him. The queue for Gareth at the end snaked round the foyer, meaning we didn't get away till aprox 11.30pm. He is so accommodating and is there happy to sign and have photos with every last fan.

Thanks to Linda and her daughter for their company and driving all that way. :thumbsup:

It really was a great night and a birthday treat for me.

Thanks Chris for your report and the great pic, looks like they are selling his CD as well. :)

How lovely for you all to hear him play the piano. IMO he should sing ballads more often, especially where he has problems with his voice, and the rocky songs can not be good in that situation.

Also I suppose with his back hurting at the moment (as tweeted by him), sitting at the piano is probably better then jumping around with the rockier songs.

Thanks for telling us about your evening Chris. Sounds like it was a fabulous night.

How lovely for you all to hear him play the piano. IMO he should sing ballads more often, especially where he has problems with his voice, and the rocky songs can not be good in that situation

That's what I've been saying for quite a while Khelda. Not only is it easier on his voice, but he is so much more suited to ballads imo.

What a brilliant gig this was. Despite suffering with his throat and a back injury from the gym that he blamed Pete for, Gareth gave a tremendous performance. From the moment he burst, as Chris said, onto the stage he brought the place to life.

Having noticed the grand piano on the stage, I hadn't dared to hope that Gareth would play it (just assumed that's where it lives). Then just before his set, a member of the stage crew put his iPad on the stand and I'm almost certain I squealed or cheered. We were in for a treat.

My daughter and I have had a long discussion about what songs Gareth sang and which he played piano for. The following are what we can remember, including whether he played piano, although they are not in completely the correct order.

Free

Sunshine

Say It Isn't So (Piano)

Anyone Of Us (Piano)

Unchained Melody

Suspicious Minds

She's Like The Wind / All Of Me / That's When You Know (Piano Medley)

Hold On Tight

Sentimental

Valerie

Angel On My Shoulder (Piano)

Thinking Out Loud (Piano - wishes he'd written it himself)

Summer Of '69

Livin' On A Prayer

Don't Stop Me Now

Spirit In The Sky (as an encore)

Although Gareth was obviously struggling with his voice (rubbing his throat and drinking lots of water), he still sounded amazing and maintained a good banter between numbers. He even had a laugh at his inability to control the mic stand at one point and made fun of the fact that he was a wreck with his bad throat and back (which caused him problems when he tried to reach down for his bottle of water).

The venue was great with friendly staff and the atmosphere when Gareth performed was electric and I was still buzzing after more than three hours driving home. (It was lovely having you with me, Chris, making the day a shared experience).

I had loved Gareth playing keyboards on his Greatest Hits tour in November but hearing him on a proper grand piano was purely magical and mesmerising - the piano was positioned so that we could see his hands as he caressed the keys. Probably because he had the piano to play, and possibly to protect his voice, he sang less rocky numbers and I wondered at one point whether he'd sing any, but he can't resist the urge to get everyone on their feet at the end for the last three songs and then the encore.

Gareth and, of course, Pete (who is a fantastic guitarist and backing singer) always manage to create a wonderful feeling in the venue with everyone taking part and involved.

Afterwards there was a long queue waiting to buy CDs and posters, get them (and tickets, etc) signed, have photos and a chat. We were close to the end but Gareth still had time for us and no-one felt they were being rushed away. Gareth obviously delights in performing and is always generous with his time to thank those who've come to see him. He is such a genuine and humble young man, who has once again created memories I shall have always.

Linda

Thanks for that great report Linda. Well done you and your Daughter remembering all/most of the set list. What a great evening it was. Would love to have heard Gareth singing while playing that piano. Wish he would do it all the time.

Thanks so much Chris and Linda for your detailed reports about the gig last night - it sounds a wonderful evening. So pleased that you got to see and hear Gareth playing the grand piano, just wish he'd done this more over the last couple of years as he is so talented and a lot of people have no idea that he plays.

Good to hear that so many people wanted to see him at the end - he always makes fans feel that he really wants to be there - Unlike Jai who I can't really warm to!

Thank you so much Chris and Linda for your reports :) was nice to see you both there, both very detailed reports, there's not really much to add as I agree with what you both say :) but i'll share the pics I taken, its only 4 of him performing near the end because they said no camera's allowed and I didn't spot anyone else taking any earlier, I understand when they say no flash as that can be off putting to the performers.

post-156-0-71737300-1434401366_thumb.jpg

post-156-0-97066000-1434401379_thumb.jpg

post-156-0-06448300-1434401393_thumb.jpg

post-156-0-76182700-1434401408_thumb.jpg

post-156-0-34740500-1434401474_thumb.jpg

Thanks Chris for your report and the great pic, looks like they are selling his CD as well. :)

How lovely for you all to hear him play the piano. IMO he should sing ballads more often, especially where he has problems with his voice, and the rocky songs can not be good in that situation.

Yes they were selling the CD as well (as they have at other gigs I have been to).

I did wonder if they were being sold at the Haven gigs too?

I think Gareth does have to adapt his set list to the venue and audience he is singing to. Think we have to admit the rocky numbers certainly get the crowd on their feet.

Didn't really want to say anything bad about Jai McDowell but I have to get it off my chest. He (being the support act) only referred to Gareth once and said they sang together in a Cow Shed :angry: .

Thankfully someone in the audience was brave enough to shout out that this was the Skipton venue (and I am more than sure they did not sing together).

I cannot warm to him either.

Guest NicolaJayne

Loved all your reports of the night, I have to agree about Gareth playing the piano, he should do it more often, shows off his huge talent.

I was lucky enough to witness this at one of his gigs think it was Islington, last year.

I was sorry to have to give this one a miss as it was my 40th wedding anniversary and the only venue in my area.but would not have wanted to see Jai again, have already sat through him twice and that was quite enough. Think the first time was worse as he told gags that no one understood as his accent was so strong.

Just seen your lovely pics Maria, thanks for showing them. I like the longer look jacket Gareth is wearing, a bit of change of style for him.