Gareth Panto Cinderella 2018

Guest NicolaJayne

Thanks Khelda

Some great reviews coming in.

READ THIS ONE:thumbsup:

(It almost feels like you are there in the audience)

Why do the British love a pantomime so? There must surely be a thesis in there somewhere. A theatre full of people, from multiple generations, all laughing uproariously as actors who seem to be having the time of their life stride across the stage, singing, dancing and telling fabulously awful jokes…really, what’s not to love?

Last night saw Manchester’s Opera House, the venue for the city’s pantomime for decades, bring back the kind of show we all want to see, after last year’s somewhat ‘interesting’ (read ‘cringe-worthy) performance by John Barrowman and the Krankies. A classic fairy-tale, where good conquers evil, the beautiful princess marries her handsome prince and all live happily ever after – it’s no wonder the children were leaping in their seats with the joy of it.

From where I sat I could see a fair dozen children, including one of my own, boys and girls aged from around six to 12. Each and every one spent more than a few minutes, on multiple occasions, absolutely doubled up with laughter. I thought my own son would end up on the floor at one point. If they weren’t laughing, they were wide eyed with wonder, or shouting at the cast in the traditional to-and-fro of ‘oh yes it is’ or ‘she’s behind you.’ Bliss to be a part of and memories being made for both parents (and grandparents) and children. Joy.

This year’s cast was excellent, each and every one. Cinderella, played by Shannon Flynn, was sweet and feminine, which only served to increase the hilarity when she threw all that out of the window to throw a few punches in an excellent scene with Prince Charming and Buttons. Hayley-Ria Christians’s Fairy Godmother did the job just fine and has a smashing singing voice. Prince Charming, played by Gareth Gates looked the part, all handsome and dashing, gave a beautiful rendition of Unchained Melody and demonstrated an excellent sense of humour. The standing ovation must go, however to Les Dennis and Connor McIntyre as the Ugly Sisters and Ben Nickless as possibly the best Buttons in the history of panto.

When Les and Connor are in play, there’s little room on stage for anybody else, the only character able to hold his own being Buttons. This is, of course, expected so their scenes were, happily, always ‘all about me.’ The banter, the one-liners, the put-downs – all brilliantly written and delivered. I did wonder if perhaps McIntyre had lost his voice a little, as the projection wasn’t what it could be, but this didn’t really affect the overall hilarity. Their shared history on Coronation Street allows for many in-jokes that the followers of the show in the audience can share, of course.

Ben Nickless, take a bow. Goodness this man is talented. His comic timing and delivery is wonderful, but it was his impressions that really got the audience going. From Gary Barlow to Jose Mourinho, in both song and chat, he was superb. There’s a fabulous scene where he sings an Elvis song, as he learned it from listening to his grandmother’s ancient record player. It’s scratched, speeds up, slows down and jumps about – and has everybody laughing their heads off, even the kids, who have no concept of where the joke stems from, vinyl and 45s not being a part of their lives as they were for the older generation.

Cinderella at Manchester Opera House is a triumph of traditional pantomime; from the costumes to the comedy to the casting, it delivers the perfect Christmas entertainment for young and old, for those who love a nudge nudge wink wink joke and those who thrill to the sound of their children laughing. Go, it’s a simply tremendous night out.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The photos from the show are all fabulous.

TICKX REVIEW:thumbsup:

Panto season is well and truly underway across the country, and we had the delight of heading down to Manchester's very own Opera House for some family-friendly viewing of Cinderella. 

The show was everything and more, filled with immersive set design, fantastic humour and a fair few innuendo's to keep the parents smirking whilst the kids were treated to a fantastic and magical Christmas show. 

Leading the way in star-studded appearances in the show were Coronation Street's Pat Phelan and Michael, otherwise known as Connor McIntyre and Les Dennis, starring as signature dames and Cinderella's ugly sisters Phelina and Michaela (spot the reference) in true, over the top panto fashion. Although I myself don't watch Corrie, the audience ate up the peppering of references that were made and the kids took great joy in their increasingly ridiculous outfits including a can of Fosters and a pack of crisps. 

Alongside the soap-stars comes Pop Idol legend Gareth Gates in the leading role of Prince Charming, gifting us with plenty of talent show gags as well as a magical reprise of his biggest hit: Unchained Melody

Starring as down-on-her-luck princess Cinders is Shannon Flynn, who brought a certain grace and charm to the role that made her endearing yet hilarious, although the humour was best carried by Rochdale's own Ben Nickless who left the audience bent double as Cinders' lovesick best friend through a variety of impressions, voices and excellently delivered slapstick humour. My personal favourite rested in the simply outstanding vocals from Hayley-Ria Christian as The Fairy Godmother, whose rendition of Fabulous Baby from Sister Act left chills down my spine. 

Cinderella proved to be an absolute must-see, filled with gags that land fantastically and outfits that conjure up the perfect arrangement of magic and wonder in both adults and children. As well as having an impressive cast of stars and big name celebrities, the ensemble cast squared up and showcased their incredible talent, executing Fabian Aloise's choreography with skill and ease in what was a high-octane two hours of delight. Writer Alan McHugh delivered on all expectations with Cinderella, creating an upbeat, fun and riveting show where my only qualm was wanting a little more of The Fairy Grandmother. 

The show continues at the Manchester Opera House until December 30th, so make sure to get your tickets below before you miss out!

Thank you everyone who’s posted such lovely reviews 🙂 Here’s a lovely tweet from @Theatres_Online so true of Gareth in this role.

Wow what a night! We caught Cinderella at the Palace Theatre and what a fabulous evening. The cast were incredible, Buttons with his hilarious impressions & @Gareth_Gates  who couldn’t have been any more charming if he tired! Highly recommend!

#BookNOW ow.ly/wgNj50jVEYc

Luckily, when they do get together, the central pairing of Flynn and Gareth Gates’ affably confident Prince works well – with Gates especially being given time to show off his considerable vocal talents – and a spectacular coach ride, complete with animatronic flying horses, delivers a mind-boggling feast for the eyes.

From The Stage.

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:43 PM, Khelda said:

Thanks Chris and Khelda, I read the article about Panto needing more respect and totally agree that as it's all live and the timing of everything has to be spot on! Excellent reviews and it's certainly a mind boggling feast, having seen it 3 times I still have no idea how the animatronic flying horses work!

21 hours ago, Khelda said:

Luckily, when they do get together, the central pairing of Flynn and Gareth Gates’ affably confident Prince works well – with Gates especially being given time to show off his considerable vocal talents – and a spectacular coach ride, complete with animatronic flying horses, delivers a mind-boggling feast for the eyes.

From The Stage.

Love this review. Thankyou for posting it.

Took my hubby to see the Panto this week, his first one since the kids were young and he loved it! He was actually crying with laughter at some of the antics and really enjoyed Gareth's singing as well. The group of ladies sitting next to us had come all the way from Harrogate for the day as they wanted to see Gareth in Panto and are hoping he does one in Leeds or Bradford next year!

:4295:

Bradford's Gareth Gates is Charming in Cinderella

http://yorkshiretimes.co.uk/article/Bradfords-Gareth-Gates-Is-Charming-In-Cinderella-Panto?platform=hootsuite

Bradford's Gareth Gates Is Charming In Cinderella Pantograham_clark.png
Graham Clark, Features Writer
Cinderella%20-%20Phil%20Tragen%20Photogr

It's hard to believe that it is 16 years since Bradford born Gareth Gates was the runner up to Will Young in Pop Idol. Since then he has had a successful pop career and is now making his name as an actor.

Currently appearing in Cinderella at the Opera House in Manchester he plays Prince Charming with as the title suggests, charm. When he sings Unchained Melody you could hear a pin drop. With poise and atmosphere it was one of the many highlights in the spectacle.

Cinderella%20Ugly%20Sisters%20and%20Butt

Connor McIntyre might be better known as Pat Phelan, the recent baddie in Coronation Street but as one of the Ugly Sisters it showed a completely different side to him. Les Dennis appears as the other Ugly Sister. Dennis was killed by Pat Phelan in the soap opera which leads to plenty of one liners such as "I've killed You Once and I will do it again" when the Ugly Sisters are getting on each other's nerves. Together there was an undeniable rapport between them.

Hayley-Ria Christian as the Fairy Godmother can belt out a tune, apparently she had flown from Barnsley via Bury to Manchester. Her soulful voice brought to mind Whitney Houston.

Shannon Flynn was all wide eyed innocence as Cinderella and she appeared to be a natural.

Cinderella%20and%20villagers%20-%20Phil%
The real comedy though was that of Ben Nickless as Buttons, with the comic timing of Freddie Starr his impressions ran from Ozzy Osbourne, to a speeded up Elvis and Take That which had me in stitches. He had Mark Owen's voice off to a tee and replicated Gary Barlow's facial expressions. If the Bradford Alhambra ever need a successor to Billy Pearce, here is your man.

Keeping the music current the songs included those from The Greatest Showman, although some of the words were changed to fit in with the show.

The younger members of the audience (and a far few older ones) gasped in amazement as the horses and carriages taking Cinderella to the Ball, flew over those sat in the stalls.

There are plenty of references to Corrie, Pop Idol with Gareth Gates even sending up himself as when Cinderella stutters to say his name "Your Stutter is worse than mine was" he jokes.

With perfect choreography, stunning costumes and good natured humour it was a delightful spectacular.

Another great review:

It's A Family Adventure:thumbsup:

Prince Charming is played by the delightful Gareth Gates and it was superb to see him perform the song Unchained Melody. I had secretly hoped beforehand that he would sing this, so it was definitely an added treat for me. He worked well alongside Cinderella in creating a believable chemistry and the wall scene in the woods when they first meet is absolutely hilarious.

and

Our personal highlight though has to be the performance of "If I Were Not" which also included Gareth Gates and Ben Nickless. We were all close to tears from laughing so much and although we have seen this routine performed elsewhere before, the cast involved created a whole new dynamic of fun, that my children spoke about all the way home.