Support the Theatre and Arts Industry

eternal

People from the world of theatre and the arts are appealing to the Government to help the industry and to avoid our theatres being closed forever.

There is a chance to sign this petition:

Just make sure you confirm your email in your email box for your vote to count.

I saw that Eternal but not sure what they want the government to do. They are already paying furlough for millions of people,  and a lot of the people who have signed this are multi millionaires, are they prepared to help? 

I think these people are just putting their names to the cause.  I think the general feeling is for the Government to step in and support the industry until such times it is deemed safe for live performances to go ahead.

Many people in the music industry are self employed so as such would not be furloughed.  

There is now even risk to our much loved Royal Albert Hall😢

I understand that Eternal and whilst I love the theatre and have done for many years it is impossible for the government to keep them all going. A lot of the people signing are people who don't live in England for tax purposes which I find hypocritical. I know there are a huge number of them will be self employed and wouldn't have earned a lot of money anyway especially in theatre, I just hope that theatre will come back at some point and especially Pantos which is their biggest money earner. 

Yes you are right Valr. However I think the government can do more to help. I read yesterday of the theatre in Southampton which was built just 2 years ago has closed for ever. This seems a tragedy. I gave some thought to what you were saying about the millionaires and perhaps it would have been appropriate for one of these to step in and save the theatre. They could then pass the running of it to others- just be name only.

I sincerely hope we get theatre back sooner rather than later. I was wondering today as I wondered round seeing perspex screens everywhere why they couldn't put a clear perspex screen between the performers and the audience? The performers would have to form a Bubble with the rest of the cast for the duration but these adaptations have to be made at the moment.

Forming a bubble for a run of 6 months is to long for some people to be away from their loved ones, Footloose would mean Gareth doesn’t see Missy or family for the duration, I can see him dropping out if he has to do that. It is however a good idea if it’s the only way for the arts to be saved and those who need their career to live will be willing to do this. Those screens are a good idea and should definitely be used.

I really hope something can be done to help get things going soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Just hope some theatres will be able to open, it will be difficult with social distancing and probably not financially viable but I think for all the actors and backstage staff it will be good that they have something to aim for.

We went to an outdoor event in one of our local pub gardens last night.raining to start with but thankfully stopped. Tickets in advance, tribute George Michael and Elton John acts, it was sold out, about 200 people (it is a huge garden) All tables socially distanced and we felt very safe where we were, food and drink all waiter service. However, there were large tables of people obviously not the same household, people hugging, shaking hands, dancing close to each other, I suspect a lot of them have been doing this for a long time! We were the oldest by about 20 years but we had a great time in our own space👍

This item was on the news last night.

Prior to Andrew Lloyd Webber being interviewed he showed how walking into his theatre you would have your temperature taken and then walk through a disnefectant very similar to the scanner  we walk through in an airport.  He is trying his upmost to get theatres back up and running.

Today Andrew Lloyd Webber ran a Pilot show from the London Palladium to demonstrate how Theatres can operate during the Pandemic;

The Evening Standard  tells us how it went.

This is from Matt Hemley on Twitter who was there and guides us through every part of his visit.

and this is Beverley Knight(who agreed to be part of this Pilot show) singing Memory to the audience 

You may need your tissues and you met want to stand up and clap but most of all we hope this results in us all being back in theatres with our tissues and our clapping.

• 2 weeks later...