Response from BODY & SOUL

Maggiemags

We said we'd let you know when we received a response to your monies we sent off just before Christmas - it arrived today :) Just to put it all in context, I'll also post our correspondence:

We sent this letter to the volunteer we're in touch with:

Please find enclosed a cheque payable to Body and Soul in the sum of £500 together with a completed Gift Aid form to enable you to claim back the tax.

We’ve raised this money by selling CDs of Gareth’s Pop Idol performances and also Acoustic tracks by him.  In addition, some members have donated money to Body and Soul instead of sending Christmas Cards to the friends they have made through being part of the community.  Finally, there’s the tail end of the money raised from a previous project, most of which you have already received via another member.

So it all adds up and we hope you’re as pleased as we are with the result.

We’ve got more projects planned for the New Year, so I hope to be in touch with more donations in 2005.

From time to time we discuss events from the video archive, and of course on World Aids Day, we discussed his visit to your organisation for Comic Relief (http://garethpaulgates.net/bodysoul.html).  I mentioned that I had worn my Body and Soul pin and many members asked how they could obtain them.  Could you let me know the cost?  We’ll buy some and sell them on for a profit which will of course find its way back to you in due course.

Finally, I’ve enclosed a copy of each of the CDs for you as a Christmas gift from all of us.  We really admire what you’re all doing down there – it’s so important and sadly, so very necessary.

Best wishes to the whole team from the community of Gareth’s fans on the internet for a very merry Christmas and a happy and peaceful New Year.

So, in response to that, the following arrived today - the first is the 'official' letter:

Dear Maggie,

I am writing to you on behalf of the families who make up BODY & SOUL to say a big thank you to you for the kind donation of £500 from the Gareth Gates Fans.  It’s a joy to open post that is donating much needed monies; it was lovely to hear from you.  The money will be used to provide peer support and information services for women, heterosexual men, children & teenagers living with, or closely affected by HIV/AIDS.

I hope you had a relaxing and stress free festive season, and have entered 2005 peacefully.

The last 2½ years have been extremely challenging, and we extend particular thanks to individuals such as yourselves who have supported us through the hardest times, remaining loyal and offering your unwavering support, thank you.

“Before I had heard of BODY & SOUL  and its wonderful services, I was in agony.  I had given up.  I was totally ignorant of HIV/AIDS, even though I was HIV positive myself.  BODY & SOUL has restored my life again, simply because there are people who haven’t given up on me, and who have reassured me that I can live a positive life despite my status.”  Becca – 28, HIV+

This news of the new building for BODY & SOUL is fantastic on so many levels, and the next few months will be a whirl of activity, the renovation work will start to take place in the new building, and the next year will see BODY & SOUL move into our new home, where we can once again realise our full potential as the leading organisation in the UK in the provision of services to children, teenagers, women, heterosexual men and their families living with, or closely affected by HIV/AIDS.

As ever, BODY & SOUL remains loyal in the battle against ignorance that still surrounds HIV/AIDS, and our clients have been busy raising awareness in the wider community, through press coverage.  Last year this included ELLE magazine, Sugar magazine, The Evening Standard, BBC Radio 1 and ITV News.  Added to this we were nominated by Time Out as one of London’s 50 Gems and collaborated in a programme for BBC2 Learning Zone.

We look forward to the next chapter in our history, and we hope you will continue to support BODY & SOUL as it grows and develops.  Once again, it is with heartfelt thanks from every member of each family that is touched by the work of BODY & SOUL for your kindness.

Yours sincerely,

Emma Colyer

Director

I think they copy and paste bits of things together, so it doesn't read terribly well (eg the bit about the news about the new building), but you get the drift! :)

And an accompanying hand-written card from the volunteer:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thank you so much for your lovely letter.  We are all so touched by your support and generosity.

I am glad that the Body and Soul pin went down so well.  We used to sell them on the Body Shop and they did really well there too!  It would be great if you wanted to sell them on our behalf.

I can’t believe that it’s 2005 already!  We are going to have a very busy year, we have so many exciting things planned – obviously the most exciting is the move into our new building which will take place in July (at least that is when it is scheduled – you know what these things are like!) 

Between now and then I shall endeavour to keep you up to date on all of our plans and events.

Thank you again for your support,

Unfortunately then, no idea of the price of the pins for those of you who were interested in them, but I'll chase that up and get back to you. :)

Link to the thread re what this is all about for those of you who may have missed it

Guest GarethsHotChick

Maggie Thank You for posting that FANTASTIC news up, It is GREAT to know that the money made from the cd's which people have bought on these boards is going to good use and helping others who are less fortunate than ourselves. I found the story very emotional and I think it's WONDERFUL that there are charities such as Body And Soul who can support people throughout their difficult times, It also puts your own life into perspective and I for one feel lucky that I have got such a loving a great family and really amazing friends that I know I can turn to and who understand things.

Thank you very much for informing us detailed about your correspondence with B&S. :) It's good to know that they appreciate our donation and I'm glad that I could contribute a little bit by purchasing several ot the new and of the previous CDs released by GPG Enterprises for Body & Soul. B)

You have done so very well to do all the work that has resulted in raising the contribution for Body and Soul.

When you know the price of the pins I will order some.

My sincere thanks Maggie and Snowdrop for keeping us informed of everything that is happening and I will continue to support the wonderful efforts to raise funds for Body and Soul.

Also my thanks to the people who work at Body and Soul for their reply.

that is brilliant!!

thanks for posting