Gareth as Marius in Les Mis International tour

Floz

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Marius recovers in Cosette's care "

It's at this point that Gareth gets to sing his solo " "empty chairs at empty tables" as he tries to come to terms with the fact that he is the only one of his friends to survive the battle.

That's the bit I am looking forward to most.

Can't wait to hear Gareth's version of this song.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Gareth is settling into Cardiff according to the following tweet - getting the provisions in! :laugh:

KayCee83 @Gareth_Gates Just saw you in Tesco in Cardiff Bay!!! Will be seeing you on Boxing Day in Les Mis it would appear!!!

about 2 hours ago from web

A new member called Justin 1976 posted this intersting article on the OS. I hope he wont mind me bringing it to this site. Its a very intersting bit about the back ground of Les Miz. :thumbsup:

Here's an interesting article from 'The Telegraph' -

Victor Hugo's revenge: Les Misérables to come to Paris stage - in English

Les Misérables, the hit musical, is to be performed in Paris in English – in an turn of events that Victor Hugo's great-great grandson said the author would have found a "highly amusing stroke of revenge".

By Henry Samuel in Paris

Published: 10:16PM GMT 23 Mar 2009

Paris' prestigious Théâtre du Châtelet intends to bring "Les Mis" - the world's longest-running musical - to the French capital next season for a run of around 40 performances, according to reports.

"The touring production is scheduled to perform in Paris in 2010. It will be performed in English with French subtitles," a spokesman for the Cameron Mackintosh production in the UK confirmed.

Ironically, the original musical version of "Les Mis", based on Hugo's 1862 masterpiece, was in French. However, after opening in September 1980 in Paris, it only ran for 16 weeks when the booking contract with the venue expired.

The English language version, however, including hit tunes "Castle On A Cloud" and "On My Own", has played more than 9,000 times in the West End alone.

"I think that Victor would have found the whole idea very amusing as he wrote and completed Les Misérables while in exile in Guernsey, under the protection of Queen Victoria," Pierre Hugo, the author's great-great grandson told The Telegraph.

Hugo fled with his family first to Jersey then Guernsey in 1851, after he had openly declared Napoleon III a traitor to France for seizing power and establishing an anti-parliamentary constitution. He lived there for 19 years, completing Les Misérables in 1862.

"This is a stroke of great revenge against Napoleon Le Petit (III), who had put a price on Victor's head. He spat all his venom against the French leader while on British soil, and it is thus very fitting that an English version of his work, albeit a musical one, should come to France. It's very, very funny," he said.

"I've seen the show twice in New York and thought it was a marvellous and perfectly in the spirit of the original," said Mr Hugo, who last December lost a court case to ban two contemporary sequels to Les Misérables, claiming they violated the "respect of the integrity" of the original work.

The West End and Broadway hit will be performed as part of an Anglophone musical season, also including The Sound of Music (La Mélodie du Bonheur in French) and Stephen Sondheim's A Little Night Music, according to Le Figaro.

There's a lovely article on Wales Online about Leigh Coggins, the girl playing the under-study for Cosette on the tour, with a brief mention of Gareth too. :heart:

Inevitably - she has nice things to say! :wub:

“Gareth is lovely,” she said.

“I’ve never met anyone so genuine in all my life and we’re close in age so we get along really well.”

She sounds like one of the clever ones! :laugh: :tongue:

Inevitably - she has nice things to say! :wub:

“Gareth is lovely,” she said.

“I’ve never met anyone so genuine in all my life and we’re close in age so we get along really well.”

She sounds like one of the clever ones! :laugh: :tongue:

What a sensible girl she is. And so right :heart:.

I hope she gets her wish to play at least one night

I don't think 'Floaters' is quite the right word LOL! Could it possibly be a swing person In this thread (but I'm not sure of this)?

I just hope that if Gareth is to have time off he will give plenty of notice (like he did in Joseph) but quite obviously illness is an exception.

I wouldn't mind betting that he doesn't take one day off.

• 3 weeks later...

seriously this is really good news. I read about it on the BBC website earlier today. I think he represents a fantastic role model and his honesty about the road leading up to this will let people know that in spite of the challenge coming out represents you can still achieve all your goals. Well done Gareth.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting, but there's no reason to presume that it will be the same cast. Union rules mean there are a lot of hoops to jump through for non-US cast to perform there. It's not impossible, but nor is it a certainty. It would be a great experience for Gareth and the others if they do go, but if there are to be any more UK or European venues added, it might take them to the end of their contracts anyway.

• 2 months later...