Broadway to Westend - the reports

Snowdrop

Sorry to keep you all waiting for a proper report. I've not been able to get online until now, and even now I'm on the free Wi-fi at Royal Festival Hall!

Last night was amazing. No doubt about it. The whole night was fabulous, and Gareth's two songs were both fantastic. Gareth sang so well and got to show off just how well he can sing and got a well deserved, brilliant reaction. Not just from the audience, but you could tell that the people involved with the show liked him too. As usual, there were the "much better than expected" type noises from a few of those around us, lol.

I was sitting with Maggiemags and just behind some others in the Upper Circle, which was packed and the Balcony was open and busy looking too. We were near the front, so had a great view of everything and the sound was very good too. In the podcast the organisers were saying that Cam Mac was letting them have the use of the full system, and it paid off. The orchestra were so good, and pretty much everything was as good as good can be. There were a couple of the songs that weren't to my taste, and the same for some of the other singers, but I couldn't fault anyone or anything.

Gareth was singing in the Miss Saigon section in the secont Act. The writer for Miss Saigon came on before-hand to talk a bit about when they wrote it 20 years ago, and how pleased he was to be there - so no pressure Gaz! :laugh:

The section started off with The Heat is on in Saigon by the ensemble and Arts Ed students, and then there was the duet The Last Night of the World with Gareth and Ima Castro, who was also very good. Their voices worked so well together. Then it was solo Gareth singing Why God, Why? It's hard for me to describe right now, but it was a good dramatic number that started off more reflective then got a bit more angry, so we got to see the different styles of singing. That sounds a bit like Close Every Door, lol, but it didn't. :laugh:

Come the curtain call, Gareth was the last of the singers to take to the stage, so clearly they considered him a big star! There was some method, in that they started with Arts Ed, then Ensemble, then those singing one song, then two, of which Gareth was one of a handful. The director came on at the end and stood in the middle next to Gareth and they were doing some hand-shaking and Gareth was being congratulated and much smiling and general chumminess, which was a joy to see. Even on the way off stage at the end the Director was giving Gareth some back-slaps. :frantics:

I'm so glad I went, even if it was just for two songs, lol. It was such a great night and everyone loved it. :wub:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There were a lot of people with influence there last night. Plenty of big-wigs, including one famous conductor who flew over from New York (normally works on Broadway) specifically to conduct one of the sections.

Stiles & Drewe were there - they took on the part of the children for Practically Perfect from Mary Poppins. They dressed up too!

Had a brilliant night.

It really did end up not going to London to see Gareth just to sing two songs, but a whole show packed full of musical theatre performers.

The dancing school stood out for me as being superb but enjoyed each and every performance.

It was really nerve racking stuff waiting for Gareth to come on at the end of the show, having seen such high quality performers throughout the evening.

There was a lot of looking at each other and wondering, in our group.

When Gareth entered from the side of the stage there was a definite hush in the theatre. The pressure was certainly on him.

But wow, why did we wonder if he could compete? Of course he could. He was just amazing.

The programme read that he would perform a solo Why God Why? and then the duet but the duet took place first, which was awesome (my favourite ever song from Miss Saigon). Then the solo. He owned the stage and performed, acted and showed completed passion and emotion. He received a rapturous reception and I expect there were a fair few raised eyebrows at the end of the evening.

For anyone who aren't familiar with the duet song this is the original

Gareth sang it even better!

Not sure what I can say different to the other reports, but from going to the show to see Gareth singing, I ended up watching a truly brilliant show. There was such a high standard from all the performers. The orchestra and the Arts Ad dancing group were fabulous. After watching such great performances, it was a little nerve-racking waiting to see if Gareth would measure up. There was no need to worry, he was outstanding. His voice gelled with Ima Castro to perfection and his solo song was acted out as well as sung. Which was not the case for most of the others.

Every time I see Gareth in a different part he's come on in leaps and bounds. There seems to be no limits to what he can achieve. But I have to say the whole show was truly amazing.

Thanks to everyone for their detailed reports,there's not a lot I can add to them. On the way down to London I thought to myself that I was mad travelling all that way just to hear Gareth sing 2 songs,how wrong I was. :thumbsup: The whole show was brilliant,from the Orchestra, male and female West-end stars,to the Broadway to Westend Ensemble. most of the singers walked on stage sang their song, took a bow and walked off again,the duets were sang not acted with the singers separate on the stage.

When the writer of Miss Saigon and Les mis (Claude ?) came on to introduce his musicals,he said "next you are going to hear the most beautiful voices singing the songs from Miss Saigon" :hyper: Gareth and Ima Castro came on to sing their duet,it was the only part of the show that was acted as a musical not sung as just a song,at the end, as in the show Gareth embraced and kissed her on the lips. Gareth looked so handsome,he was immaculately dressed in black with strips of white and very shiny patent shoes.

After the tremendous applause for the duet he sang solo"Why God Why"it was beautiful and emotional,Gareth felt and acted every word he sang.The applause and and whooping at the end was fantastic to hear.

At the end Gareth came out last of the performers, just before the writers and directors,as they came out Gareth got hugs, pats on the back and words of praise them all.

After seeing Gareth last night (so charismatic,he owned that stage)I think he's changed his image to match musical theatre,he really looks comfortable and happy in the singing and acting that he's doing.

I had a wonderful time, thankyou to everyone I was with. :thumbsup: On the train home ,I was so tired,but it was thinking "Yes!it was well worth the journey."

What a wonderful report Dorral. I couldn't be there myself so it is great to read all your reports. They bring it to life for the rest of us who weren't there and you all have little extra bits to add to help us imagine what it was like. Thanks everyone

They bring it to life for the rest of us who weren't there and you all have little extra bits to add to help us imagine what it was like

You are so right Jenjo. :smile:

Thanks Dorral, its so great to hear Gareth did well and people loved him.

He sure is happy in what he is doing. :heart:

Lovely to read all your reports. Here is mine.

After meeting Ann from her train, we offloaded our bags at the hotel, and after a welcome cup of tea, went to meet up at the stage door. Elaine, Emma and Linda were already there, and then Sarahjane, Maria and Andrea came up shortly after. It was lovely to see them all, so we had a good natter.

Vera texted me to tell me that Gareth had already gone in, so we discussed whether it was worth staying there. I must admit my tummy was rumbling, as in my haste to get out early today, I had forgotten my sandwiches, forgotten to make them I mean!

Anyway, suddenly, just like an angel from heaven, Gareth was there. He spoke to us all, that is what is so lovely about him, he lets you know that he rememebers you, bless him!

I pushed Emma forward for her pic, and managed to get it for her, and then got one of Ann with him too. Hope you got the emails girls. I also took one of Elaine with him.

Gareth put his arm round me for a pic, and then Elaine came in the other side, so it was a joint one. Everything happened so quickly as usual, so I may not have had one on my own with him, but I'm very happy with that one, and it's always lovely to see him.

Sarah joined us just after Gareth had gone, and I'm so sorry you missed him Sarah, it was very bad luck.

When we entered the theatre, I saw Val, Doris, Chris, and Gareth's Melody briefly in the foyer, just long enough to say hallo.

We were sitting in the gods, but actually, thanks to a new pair of wonderful contact lenses, I could see every expression on Gareth's face.

We had a long wait for him, don't they always save the best until last, but the whole show was great, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think even if I wasn't a fan of Gareth, I certainly would be now! He came on looking amazing. His hair had been cut, I meant to say before, and it looked wonderful. He looked very healthy and positively sparkling when we spoke to him, and he looked like a handsome god, impeccably dressed, and his love scene with Ima was very lifelike, it took my breath away. Such a lovely song, their voices together were just exquisite, and I experienced every emotion possible.

Then Gareth sang WHy GOd Why, and his voice was so pure and beautiful, it reduced me to tears. His voice just gets better and better. In the past he has been likened to George Michael, and Michael Jackson, but in my opinion, last night he was Gareth Gates, a person unlike any other, and in a class of his own.

As usual he brough the house down, and it's plain to see that Gareth will have a wonderful future in any musical he takes on. He is just so versatile and hardworking, and an absolute perfectionist.

Well done to Gareth, it was an absolute privilege to be able to see another wonderful performance by you!

Ps. Soi glad I saw Mo and Gill outside, and do hope I haven't forgotten anyone.

Great report Carol, thanks so much. For the people who could not go its great to hear every detail and little snippet.

So pleased it all went well and everyone had a fantastic time. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Inge. I wish everyone could have come, but hopefully when we describe it on the forum, it makes them feel they were there too.

Another lovely independent review for Gareth from WOS

i was very impressed with Gareth Gates. He's no longer the young boy we knew from Pop Idol and his voice has matured into a very pure sound. I agree with previous posts he really looks set to take on Musical Theatre. I must add the Saigon section as a whole was stunning. Incredible music introduced by mr Schonberg and was a real experience hearing a 42 piece orchestra going at it!

Gareth also gets a nice mention in this podcast. Its quite a long one, but worth listening to. Keep listening to the end as someone else talks about Gareth and says how he `stole the whole show'.

http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk/episodes_0155.html

Another lovely review on the DC site

The final section had Claude Michel Schonberg recount his experience of working with William Brohn on Miss Saigon twenty years ago. I guess this was the most moving section of songs for me. I love Miss Saigon the most out of all the mega musicals. And I can't believe its been so long since I last sat in Drury Lane hearing this score. Although this time around we were treated to a much bigger sound with the amazing orchestra. We got a selection of songs including The Heat is On in Saigon (great orchestrations), The Last Night of the World and Why God Why? Gareth Gates really won me over with his performance on both those songs. For the duet he was joined by Ima Castro (I guess I must have seen her as Kim at some point as name rings a bell) - there were times in Why God that really had me going. Gareth showed that he was no mere Joseph and has a lovely legit sound that packs a lot of power. For the final song of the section Graham Bickley returned to deliver the American Dream. Great big production number to close with but wait.. one more song.
I was there too (a bit higher up than you though) and had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Couldn’t fault it really, though of course I liked some moments more than others. Highlights for me were The Wizard and I, Earl Carpenter generally, As Long As He Needs Me (Isn’t Sarah fantastic?!), The Curtains sequence and the Miss Saigon sequence. Gareth Gates was better than I expected, though he did get lost in the words at one point. Shhh – nobody noticed!

Can't say I noticed that. And just a comment which gives a very good omen for Les Mis

I'm glad Gareth Gates shone out

It gives me hope that his MArius in the touring version of Les Mis will be good also

Gareth also gets a nice mention in this podcast. Its quite a long one, but worth listening to. Keep listening to the end as someone else talks about Gareth and says how he `stole the whole show'.

http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk/episodes_0155.html

the lovely comment is at 19 minutes - to save people listening to the whole thing

There is a lengthy report from the night on The Stage website, giving some great details of the night for those who couldn't make it (and most of us who could), which also includes this bit mentioning Gareth.

As Anthony Andrews, who took over in the latter as Professor Higgins during its Drury Lane run, said last night as he introduced the evening, orchestrators are the “secret ingredient” of musicals. It was wonderful to hear those ingredients being stirred and served up afresh last night, with performers like Joanna Riding (who had starred in the original production of The Witches of Eastwick and was Julie Jordan in the Naional’s Carousel that Brohn had re-orchestrated) in radiant voice and presence, Gareth Gates making such an impassioned case for Miss Saigon’s “Why, God, Why?” that we happily didn’t have to ask the same of why he’d been asked to perform it (not having had any previous connection to the show), Jacqui Dankworth (following in mum Cleo Laine’s footsteps, to perform “Can’t Help Lovin’ That Man” from Show Boat that Cleo had, of course, performed in the 1972 Adelphi revival, but which Brohn re-orchestrated for the Garth Drabinsky-produced and Hal Prince-directed Toronto, Broadway and London revivals in the mid-90s) and an irresistible Caroline Sheen doing “Practically Perfect” from Mary Poppins (with George Stiles and Anthony Drewe, who wrote that additional song for the stage version, irrepressibly standing in for the Banks children, Jane and Michael respectively).

I think the bit in bold shows that there may have been some people wondering if Gareth was qualified enough to take part in such a prestigious event, given that just about everyone taking part was singing a song they had already performed many, many times in the relevant show and to great acclaim. Or at the very least, seasoned performers with a great reputation, and not the newbie. However, the author was clearly impressed and having seen and heard Gareth singing, admitted that they were right to ask him to perform.

Going along those lines, it is even more impressive that Gareth stood up so well against the other performers given their greater experience. Ima, who Gareth sang with, has sung that song hundreds of times to audiences around the world. Gareth had a few rehearsals to match that standard. :heart:

the lovely comment is at 19 minutes - to save people listening to the whole thing

There is also a positive mention at about 6:35 - "with Gareth Gates singing beautifully" - a comment based on the rehearsal. :wub:

If you use iTunes, here's an easy link to the podcast. :heart:

badgeitunes61x15dark.gif