News from opening night - Les Mis in Cardiff

Snowdrop

This person on twitter went to the show tonight and they had a great time.

wow! Just Wow! the Tour Sounds Amazing. the set is Fantastic. and JOJ Is truely amazing.

about 2 hours ago from Snaptu

can't belive that was the First night of the Les mis Tour. it was in a Word - Perfect. Amazing Day. can't wait to see you all tomorrow :D

14 minutes ago from Snaptu

And in response to someone asking if it was different to the London version

@lukesampson Hell yes! lol

less than a minute ago from Snaptu in reply to lukesampson

Posted on the Broadway boards (West End version)

So a fried of mine just got out from seeing the opening night of the Les Mis 25th Anniversary tour in Cardiff.

Changes include Prologue being set on a boat.

This was a pretty well-known change, and aside from the obvious there have no been no drastic changes to the show.

On to Gareth Gates. He was, apparently, really good as Marius, and friendly to meet at the stage door!

More to come when I go and see the show next week!

Nothing we didn't know! :wub:

Well, didn't know about the prologue being set on a boat. :blush::unsure:

And another report from someone who was there

I saw the show last night and very much enjoyed it! I met Earl Carpenter, Gareth Gates, John Owen Jones & Ashley Artus and they were very nice. I did miss Madalena Alberto, Jon Robyns & Katie Hall but I'm seeing the show again in January so I'll try and see them then. The cast itself was incredible and the sets and costumes were very much impressive, especially the virtual effects such as Javert falling in the river! Overall a fantastic night!!

Same website as before. :heart:

And from the Dress Circle website

Went to see this last night at the WMC - totally new staging and they've really breathed new life into it - thought it was fantastic! (Amazing use of projections particularly) John Owen Jones was superb - Bring Him Home was a real chills down the spine moment and it's not even my favourite song in the show! Earl Carpenter also excellent and Stars (which is my favourite) was brilliant! I thought Gareth Gates was also very good - more than held his own in such stellar company! If you've booked to see it you're in for a treat!

Edited by beddybrowneyes 13/12/2009 11:08

Another couple of tweets by someone who seems to know John. :smile:

Les Mis in Cardiff last night. Super show. John Owen Jones excellent, as you'd expect!

5 minutes ago from web

@johnowenjones Yes it was magnificent. Mrs Lloyd was still crying at midnight. Had to send out for reserve mascara!

2 minutes ago from web

A big, detailed review/description on the Whats on Stage forum from someone who was there and obviously knows a lot about the show. Another big thumbs up, and more positive feedback for Gareth.

The show was a massive success for its 1st preview...within seconds of finale being played the sold out audience stood to its feet.

Cameron and his new creators have raised the bar once again and have taken Les Mis to a new level. The huge sets depicting scenes from factory workhouses with long tables, the paris streets with balconys, harbor settings and the opening scene on the ship look marvelous. Not to mention the clever use of projected backdrops as well as drawings by V Hugo.

The sound - was superb. We have here is an open large acoustic sound not one which is condensed by use of modern digital technology. It comes alive. The sound of the orchestra is big and bold, bright and yet delicate when required. Just right.

The new orchestrations are similar to those of the Dutch Production of 2008, so its very rich in texture. Not too distant from the original John Cameron version that we all know, but its small enhancements never distract you from what you may already have fixed in your memory.

The case where on great form. John was superlative, as you would expect. Earl was immense. In fact all of the leads did a fantastic job. Gareth Gates did the job excellently well. His diction, which he had obviously been working on, was crystal clear and no doubt when he relaxes into the role he will flourish in the role. Nothing to worry about there - casting, as you would expect from Trevor jackson, was spot on.

So, in all, a wonderful night out was had with a superb show. Its one of the best Les Mis production one will see, so you all have every right to look forward to it.....

After a few run ins in Cardiff and a bit of tidying up in time for the press night and Im sure the run of this production will be very successful.

And before I leave, despite a couple of tiny, and i mean tiny little flaws, as one would sometimes expect at the start of any production, they didnt distract in anyway. Im saying this because I hope nobody will have the indecency to mention them at this stage.

This is a fantastic production and thank you everyone involved for making my evening so enjoyable!