Last night at Les Mis

Heather

We had a good journey to Cardiff and although cold, it was bright and sunny. After checcking into our hotel we went to look around the shops and have a meal.

On the way back we drove round to see where the stage door was, just in case Gareth came out after the show. We were moved on in no uncertain terms by a man, as security is very strict there.

Our seats in the Upper Circle were very good, we had a great view, and the whole viewing area encircles the stage, so even from the side you get a good view.

When we sat down, a lady started talking to me, and she asked if we had seen it before. I did not mention Gareth at this stage, but she did. She explained that her daughter was playing the crone, and she got out her prograsmme and pointed to the picture of Gareth, saying, " He is the one to watch, my daughter says he has been just amazing in rehearsals, it's like he's been doing the part for years. "

I told her I was a big fan, and she then told me how all the cast love him, he has taken them all out, and won't let anyone pay for anything. She must have spent about 10 minutes singing his praises, and I couldn't help thinking I had definitely sat next to the right person.

I told her how we had tried to find the stage door, and been sent away, and she told me about some double doors that led out to it, and I was just wondering if I would have the courage to slip through them later.

The show was absolutely amazing, it's so powerful and dramatic, and also heartrending at times.

If Gareth was nervous, it certainly did not show. He has a very active role, it requires a lot of acting, which he carried off easily. Everyone sings their speech, and he did his beautifully. His voice was clear, pure and just beautiful, his face etched with emotion, his body hunched and full of despair, he was just brilliant. Gareth gets better and better every time I see him. I am still trying to recover from the impact this show had on me. Keith also loved it, and thinks Gareth is a top bloke!

When the show was over, Keith discovered that the camera was still in the car, so he set off to get it whilst I made my way down. Should I risk being told off and go to the stage door, I wasn't sure. I decide to pluck up the courage, as we only live once, and I wanted to tell Gareth just how good he was.

There were a group of ladies who were surging through holding their programmes discussing how good Gareth was. I decided they must be fans, and followed them. I must explain the reason why I was so terrified is because I am shy, and usually with people like Ann, Elaine and Vera, and Keith had gone to get the camera, so it took a lot for me to do this.

We waited for about 10 minutes, and I told them I was waiting for him, and they told me they were waiting for their children ,who were in the show. I realised I was the only fan waiting, which made me even more nervous.

Just as Keith turned up, a security man and woman who were not very polite, booted us all out back through the doors into the foyer. I was in despair, as I was pretty sure that Gareth would come out into the car park and go, he didn't need to come through the swing doors.

Suddenly the lady I had sat next to was there, and seeing how disappointed I was, rang her daughter's mobile. She told her about me, and a message was passed to Gareth that someone was waiting to see him.

This made me even more worried, as I was wishing some of my other friends from the forum were with me. I felt Gareth might be disappointed to only see one fan.

John Owen Jones came out, and a young man asked Keith to take his pic with him, which he did, and then one of the women, sorry don't know her name, and she was also in a pic with a fan. Whilst Keith was taking the pic, I saw Gareth coming through the doors, and he saw me straightaway, and came over and gave me a hug. My nerves disappeared, and as I thought I was the only fan we had a little chat. Keith took my pic, but had 3 attempts, however 2 of them did come out.

In the meantime unbeknown to me, a lot of women had thronged together further up, and as I said goodbye to him, he moved on, and when I looked back he was absolutely surrounded by fans, although I do belive they were people who had seen him in the show, and wanted to meet him too.

Gareth's performance made a huge impact,

so he has won himself even more fans. He is made for Musical Theatre,, and I could not be more proud of him, and I told him so.

We had an amazing time, but I would advise anyone who goes to read the story first as it is so fast moving, it won't make much sense unless you do. Gareth did not come on until much later in the first part, but when he did, the audience cheered and supported him every time he sang. He is just magic on stage.

I am now going to try and post the pics, and there is a pic of the programme, which costs £3-50, and a souvenir brochure which is £5.

I feel so priveleged to have shared his first night, and will never forget his amazing performance!

Carol, I can't quite articulate how much I loved reading your report. Well done you for sitting next to the right lady, and for asking all of the right questions too!

It seems Gareth has yet again impressed very many people. He's such a babe. :wub:

Also feeling a bit teary. *sniff* :bye:

What a fantastic report Carole. I was already feeling emotional waiting for tomorrow, now I'm even worse in a good way. Just love this bit

she got out her prograsmme and pointed to the picture of Gareth, saying, " He is the one to watch, my daughter says he has been just amazing in rehearsals, it's like he's been doing the part for years. "

Gareth is such a lovely, lovely person in every way. Was certainly in the right place when talent was handed out :heart:

Thank you Carol, for your wonderful report.

It's great we had a fan going to the opening night.

I can't imagine how everyone most have been feeling. I can't wait to go myself.

Carol, fabulous report. Been anxiously waiting to read it! Can I just ask you about his solo, empty chairs. How did he perform and what sort of reception did he get? Thanks.

Hi Judy,

I have put up a review on the main site, in which I mention about his solo performance. It was quite a hard one to write, as this show is very different from the norm. I have tried not to sound like a biased fan, so really hope I have written enough about him, and given him adequate praise, as he really is a true star in every way.!

I would be grateful if you could give me some feedback when you have read it, as I do put my heart into these articles to try and help Gareth.

Could you give us a link please Carol? :heart:

http://quazen.com/arts/theatre/first-night...iserables-tour/

There you go. Some comments from "non fans before" on there too.

http://quazen.com/arts/theatre/first-night...iserables-tour/

There you go. Some comments from "non fans before" on there too.

Thanks for the link Carol.What a great and powerful report. I have seen Les Mis about half a dozen times and it is my all time favourite musical. I can't wait to see the whole new production but particularly see Gareth as Marius. I have booked twice for Manchester - opening night and the final week in Feb. So excited...

Love this comment under your review especially. :thumbsup:

Yes Inge, I wanted to get feedback from people who were not fans before, it's great isn't it!

Thanks Flower. I have just remembered for any one going on 22nd December. I was told this is the official opening night, and that is when they have their party. Gareth may not be able to meet his fans that night.

That's really interesting, thanks.

It might explain why they've just released some more tickets for that night. They'll have been saving spare "just in case".

Posted on the Facebook earlier today:

Some Empty Chairs have just been released at Wales Millennnium Centre for 22 Dec. The ticket office number is 08700 40 2000.

That's really interesting, thanks.

It might explain why they've just released some more tickets for that night. They'll have been saving spare "just in case".

Posted on the Facebook earlier today:

Some Empty Chairs have just been released at Wales Millennnium Centre for 22 Dec. The ticket office number is 08700 40 2000.

Yes, and I do belive that is Press night, and we can look forward to reading reviews soon after that.