General Les Mis feedback from out there [Cardiff]

Maggiemags

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jamieandlouise (The Radio Wales presenters that Gaz was on with last week) at 23.48:

@johnowenjones i have no words to tell you how thrilling and moving tonight's performance was. thank you. it was a privilege to be there.

I'm quite sure she meant to tweet that to Gaz too :wink: :D

What fantastic news.

I would think the cast are ecstatic as am I :hyper:

Searches for piggy bank re The Barbican. Is anyone else going to search for theirs too?

I can see now what the woman says about Gareth being phenomenal too.

Isn't this just lovely happening in Christmas week too? :frantics:

Briliant, Brilliant, Brilliant!!!!!!!! - hmmmm the piggy bank, will make sure there's enough in it!!!! :frantics:

I think that's the slightly extended version of the review that went up last week by that guy who tweeted JOJ to tell him how much he liked the show. He seems to be involved with PR in some way, but it's not his full time job. He is a health and safety consultant too! :laugh:

I think he knows John, but I'm not sure if he knows him well, or just knows him because the Welsh theatre scene isn't that big and they are both the sort of people who network.

Also on Twitter:

waggers1245 @Gareth_Gates I saw the les Mis today, it was BRILLIANT I loved every minute,Your portrayal of Marius was fantastic wat an amazing show!!

about 1 hour ago from web

followed by

waggers1245 @Gareth_Gates Good luck with the rest of the tour, I hope to see it again in Bristol !!! have a great christmas and New Year. take care!!

about 1 hour ago from web

The Facebook Group have put up the first link to reviews from Press Night

This is the bit about Gareth

While Gates has a sweet singing voice, I was a little apprehensive about whether he would be able to pull off such a big role as Marius, but I was pleasantly surprised.

He’s a convincing romantic lead and his solo, the heart- wrenching Empty Chairs At Empty Tables, makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end.

He has plenty of chemistry with Katie Hall as his beloved Cosette and Rosalind James is wonderful as the feisty Eponine, the girl who’s in love with Marius, even though his heart lies elsewhere. You can hear the heartbreak in her voice as she sings On My Own.

The Les Mis tour Face book also posted this:

The press night for the Les Mis Uk Tour which took place on Tuesday evening was a huge success and a rapturous WMC crowd were on the feet at the end of the show capping a memorable evening for everyone involved. The first reviews are out so follow the link below to read what's been written so far.

Review from this afternoons Matinee posted on WOS boards

Review - 24th December 2009, Christmas Eve Matinee

Cast

Jean Valjean - John Owen-Jones

Javert - Earl Carpenter

Fantine - Madalena Alberto

Thenardier - Ashley Artus

Madame Thenardier - Lynne Wilmot

Eponine - Rosalind James

Marius - Gareth Gates

Cosette - Katie Hall

Enjolras - Jon Robyns

Well I'll start by talking about the set, the orchestra and the lighting. The scenery and direction is quite different from the London production. There is no revolve, which makes scene-changes slightly less dynamic, but still, most of them work quite well. Victor Hugo's paintings blend beautifully into the set: during 'I Dreamed a Dream,' you can see smoke rising from the chimenys far in the distance, and in the battle scene, the painting shakes and distorts as an explosion rocks the set. It's quite impressive, and really rather visceral. I will say, however, that at times it looks like a high-school production: the windows that flank the stage during 'One Day More' and other scenes look like they could fall down at any moment. The lighting is fantastic: rich and golden during the tender love scenes, cold and harsh in others. The battle is very impressive.

The orchestra surprised me insofar as it's quite different from the original orchestrations. The instrumentation is rich during 'The Prologue' and 'Look Down,' with driving beats, heavy percussion and quirky guitar riffs aplenty - very dynamic. A new verse in 'Lovely Ladies' and the occasional line change/swap in other places. All worked well and didn't detract from anything the original production had.

Couple of other notes: some slight costume changes. They've ditched Cosette's horrible costume and gone with something much better. Eponine looked a little different too, but not drastically so.

So now my vocal highlights...

Soliloquy and Who Am I? - I can't praise John Owen-Jones enough in this role. He really is the epitome of a perfect Valjean - he knows the role so well and his performance was note-perfect. He did seem to do a lot of things differently: for example, different emphasis on certain lyrics, holding notes for slightly longer lengths or changing the phrasing around a little. I suppose this fits into his desire to play with the role a little.

I Dreamed a Dream - Madalena Alberto has a very strong Northern accent! I enjoyed her performance, despite what others have said. She does occasionally drop into a kind of bluesy-Beyonce Fantine ("So different from this hell I'm living!") But otherwise, stellar acting, much better than the recent London Fantine's. Her lines in the epilogue were haunting.

One Day More - Hm, not sure about this. It seemed a little lacking, perhaps the ensemble weren't large enough. The orchestrations were fantastic but it seemed a little 'stop-start' - the counterpoint didn't blend as well, and it sounded like a bit of a mess.

On My Own - Absolute highlight of the show. Rosalind James is one of THE BEST Eponines I have ever had the privilege of watching. Think a British Lea Salonga crossed with Frances Ruefelle, but with a unique, dynamic, bluesy-twang to her voice that just ROCKS. She starts the song sweetly, throwing in the odd vocal frill ("I walk with him till morning"), a tantalising hint of the tour-de-force of vocal prowess approaching. Then it happened - on the line "I've only been pretending," Rosalind did the most amazing bluesy riff on 'pretending' - my reccolection tells me she goes from the C, to the D, quickly to the E and then trills the C/D. I may be wrong, but regardless - it was simply the most incredible belting moment and raised scattered applause! I think that just demonstrates how unique this production is - it's taking Les Mis as it has been for decades and doing something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

The rest was very good, and I must compliment Gareth Gates in the role of Marius. Few minor points - scenery changes during songs (usually the quiet ones) were very loud, often detracting from the atmosphere I'm afraid to say. Also, the blend in from 'At the End of the Day' to 'I Dreamed a Dream' was messy as hell, and needs to be sorted out in my opinion. They kind of thrust Dreamed a Dream on the audience without building up the mood as the London production does. Valjean's journey through the sewer was very, very impressively done with projections, as was Javert's suicide (the end of which recieved little applause sadly.)

But still - great show, amazing cast (everyone needs to see Rosalind James as the best Eponine in years), with only a few changes needed!

Thanks for bringing that across Val. I see the person who posted it, tsxmitw has quite a few posts and is a big musicals fan, so that means a lot to have people like that making a point of commending the cast, and mentioning Gareth as worthy of praise. If Gareth is winning over those people, and it seems he is, then he will have a bright future ahead of him. :wub:

I listened to it earlier and they didn't mention the tour production at all. It was all about the London show. One of the people, I think she was called Lisa, was quite scathing about the part of Marius. She thought the character was insipid :shocked: The discussion was pretty deep. Lots of it went over my head.