General Les Mis feedback from out there [Cardiff]

Maggiemags

I'm hesitant to post this review as it breaks the glowing feedback we've had thus far, but if you take note of the poster's original prejudice (first highlighted bit) I think it's up there with the rest!

From one of Terry's TOGs, here.

Last night I took my mother to see a performance of the 25th Anniversary Tour of Les Miserables at Cardiff's Millennium Centre.

The run started on 15th December and it runs until 16th January. It is the first show in the history of the Millennium Centre to totally sell out.

Well, I am a big fan of 'Les Mis', and I have seen it four times before but this production, with the promise of 'new staging and lighting' filled me with anticipation and trepidation, as I am an old stick in the mud when it comes to my favourite things. I was also peturbed by the casting of Gareth Gates in the role of Marius.

Well, I needn't have worried - it was simply phenomenal! The set design and the scenery, with it moving in and out seemlessly and swiftly, was amazing. The lighting was fantastic, giving an effortless impression of streets, sewers and rivers and movement!

The cast were great as well. John Owen-Jones is, quite simply in my view, the best Valjean I have seen. The supporting cast were brilliant and, I admit, Gareth Gates was very good!

If you can get to see it, if you are a Les Mis fan, or even if you are not, I would heartily recommend it!

After Cardiff the tour goes to Manchester, Norwich, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Bristol

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that counts as glowing praise and in many ways those sorts of reports are even more meaningful. It seems many people who were sceptical are won over and not just that, prepared to say so. There must be many more who aren't saying so on accessible websites, or who might even keep it to themselves.

It also means a lot that someone who is a big fan of the show and has seen many productions is so impressed by this one. It's not even as if Gareth stood out in a rubbish cast - people are praising the whole cast, and still commenting on Gareth being very good. :wub:

Yes, I agree. I think that's a very good review and shows just how impressed people, even those who were skeptical, are being won over by Gareth. He's only going to get better as the show progresses, so its all very promising. I think of everything Gareth has done since PI, this is going to bring him the most credible acclaim so far. He just seems to be going from strength to strength.

It's just lovely to see all theses reviews in one thread.

I especially love this one:

Sian Katherine Alexander Just got back from the show with my friend and probably the best thing I have ever and will ever see. After years of listening to the dreamcast recordings on repeat, watching the dvds and the like, I never thought it would be able to live up to those that had gone before but this was just pure brilliance. Gareth Gates ...was outstanding and his version of Empty Chairs has actually passed Michael Ball's in my heart, JOJ and Earl were perfect, as was every cast member. Not one thing was out of place or wrong or did I wish had been done differently...maybe aside from sitting near someone who liked to rustle sweet wrappers in the quietest, most emotional scenes while I was sobbing quietly into my tissue.

Being able to hear the pure Welshness of some of the cast just added another brilliant, different flare to this production.

Just perfect and I'm so glad I went

Aren't they all brill.

With press night looming on Tuesday, I do think this time the people who have sold out all these venues, will be the ones to do the reviewing.

Short clip of people's views of the show from first night

And a message from the people from Les Mis Facebook Fans

Les Miserables 25th Anniversary UK Tour Its our press night tonight in Cardiff - yippee! The audience responses so far have been amazing and we thank you all for your fantastic feedback and positive comments. We'll post reviews here as soon as we get them and will be adding some amazing new production photos very soon. Watch this space.....

Lynne Wilmot has just posted this on Twitter. Hope it true

LynneWilmot Beyond happy! Live album of the show to be recorded and then we return with the show to The Barbican where it all started 25 years ago!!!

No reason to believe its not is there :hyper: :hyper: :frantics:

I think that was a copy and paste error - Val meant this link:

I've edited her post now.

Cheers Snowdrop :) Can anyone lip-read? What does the woman at the end say about Gaz?

And Khelda - the Barbican's a massive arts complex in London. Site here. Rather snazzy venue map here which shows just how MASSIVE it is - and probably why Snowdrop gets lost in it!

Cheers Snowdrop :) Can anyone lip-read? What does the woman at the end say about Gaz?

And Khelda - the Barbican's a massive arts complex in London. Site here. Rather snazzy venue map here which shows just how MASSIVE it is - and probably why Snowdrop gets lost in it!

The woman says "And Gareth Gates is Phenomenal"

Actually, we got a bit lost getting there last time, but only because we were walking (running) from the South Bank and were on the late side. If you take the tube there are painted lines to get you there! You just feel like you are in the middle of no-where and all of a sudden you are there! :laugh:

What fantastic news.

I would think the cast are ecstatic as am I :hyper:

Searches for piggy bank re The Barbican. Is anyone else going to search for theirs too?

I can see now what the woman says about Gareth being phenomenal too.

Isn't this just lovely happening in Christmas week too? :frantics:

Another nice post on WOS

Secondly, I saw the show last Wednesday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although I noticed quite a few changes to the west end production, it's too long since I saw that to be able to provide any kind of detail. I thought the cast was great on the whole, with special mentions for John Owen Jones as Valjean, Earl Carpenter as Javert and Gareth Gates as Marius. I really liked Rosalind James as Eponine apart from her rendition of On My Own, but I'm afraid I wasn't at all keen on Madalena Alberto as Fantine - not a pleasant noise at all during I Dreamed a Dream!

And yes, the piggy bank is already out Eternal :laugh:

I saw Les Mis in london in April 09 and went last night to Cardiff to see the Anniversary tour. I have to say that the the tour production is just fantastic, stage sets are much better than those in London, and the cast were brilliant. If you can still get tickets for any of the venues, get them, you won't regret it.