Maggiemags

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like that fact! :thumbsup:

Doris, I think it all depends. A very unsatisfying answer, but I was thinking that it all depends on who was there. It was a press night, but also their launch night, and we've seen comments from the Welsh DJs who were there, and a bit in Wales Online. Given the dodgy weather, and the proximity to Christmas it is possible that any London journalists who might have gone decided to go later.

I was also thinking that at this time of year we often get features on "things to do and see in 2010" and so we might find that it is covered in those, when the time is right. It's not a brand new show, so it might not be getting traditional reviews, and it's pretty much sold out or will be soon, so there may not be the pressure to review it formally.

What we do know is that near enough every comment there has been about the show has been very positive, and Gareth has had a lot of praise. It would be nice to see something written down in a formal review, but it seems we will have to wait a bit longer for that.

It's great to see the lady from the radio station still excited after all this time. :thumbsup:

I found this

Carolynmitch

@Gareth_Gates Saw Les Mis this aft-we were VERY impressed. Much better than West End version we saw few years ago.Set / background superb 2!

11:05 PM Dec 31st, 2009 from web

This was posted under the Empty Tables video

dreamingofastranger (19 minutes ago)

I saw it tonight, and am pleasantly surprised at Gareth Gate's performance. He was weaker in the first act, and drowned out a bit when everyone else sang, but in this he came into his own and really did a great job.

http://twitter.com/Nobacherie qoutes from person on twitter

Just got back from seeing Les Mis in Cardiff... fantastic! Missed 1st 10 minutes cos of parking nightmare.
@elly_0 It is really v good. Changed bit of the scenery & stuff from other versions but for the better imho. Was impressed with Gareth too.

Another person http://twitter.com/Siani

In the pub rehydrating after bawling my eyes out at les mis, fantastic performance! Gareth Gates was surprisingly brilliant

awelfan: @Gareth_Gates having seen Les Mis, soooo hope you're going to do more musical theatre - you were amazing! :thumbsup:

Made all the better because they also seem to be a fan of JOJ and describe themselves as an opera lover. :wub:

There's a personal review in someone's blog here. They very much enjoyed the show, and had particular praise for Earl Carpenter, but they also had this to say about Gareth:

Gareth Gates was also surprisingly good as Marius. I was sceptic about his casting at first, believing it to mainly be a way of drawing in high audience numbers (not that it needed it anyway.) But he made a very believable Marius and his rendition of Empty Chairs At Empty Tables seemed to be sung with real emotion.

Another converted sceptic. :tongue:

Meanwhile, this person says Gareth was better than they expected him to be. They don't say how good they expected him to be and as reviews go it isn't exactly brimming with details. But I'll take it as a positive. :heart: :hyper:

Not exactly a Gareth mention, but it was posted under the YouTube video of Empty Chairs, so indiectly in response to having listened to him

i really hope this comes to the u.s. soon!! i heard this summer and i hope it will be the same cast!!

Whoop! From here.

Posted by Natalie Rose Smith on January 5, 2010 under millenium centre, musical, performance, review

Cardiff Millennium Centre

December 2009

'Having seen this wonderful musical three times already, the first in the Palace Theatre, London, and twice in the Hippodrome, Birmingham, I was very familiar with the story and the music. However, this was a new production, celebrating the show’s 25th anniversary; therefore there were many new elements in the staging, including the paintings of the writer, Victor Hugo, portrayed onto the background of certain scenes.

Cardiff was the first audience to see this new show and it has been playing to packed houses since the first performance on 12th December 2009. The truly wonderful venue of the Wales Millennium Centre was the perfect setting, with its superb facilities and attentive staff. On our arrival we were entertained on the foyer stage by a singing and dancing troupe of girls, beautifully costumed and presented. They performed a number of dances in different genres, as well as some talented singers.

We had very good seats in the 2nd row of the circle and eagerly awaited the overture. During this performance there were digital display boards on either side of the stage, showing the words as they were spoken. I thought this might be distracting, but it was useful at times when I wasn’t sure which character was speaking, but every word spoken and sung by all cast members was crystal clear.

Of course I have my favourite songs and characters: the lead character of Jean Valjean, brilliantly portrayed by John Owen-Jones and the menacing Javert, convincingly played by Earl Carpenter. However, I was completely surprised by the performance of Gareth Gates, playing the young Marius, a part which gave Michael Ball his first big break in a musical. Having followed his progress in ‘Pop Idol’ and since, and being aware of his earlier speech difficulties, I was on tenterhooks when he appeared on stage. I needn’t have worried! His performance was mature and professional, with a voice strong and rich. He is certainly well suited to this type of entertainment.

The songs, some very familiar, particularly ‘I Dreamed a Dream’, since Subo first appeared on ‘Britain’s Got Talent’, the tearjerker ‘Bring Him Home’, the bawdy ‘Master of the House’. The list goes on and on. Continuous applause and a standing ovation greeted the cast at the conclusion of the show, with the audience in tears and raptures at the emotional finale.

This has been the most popular show to be performed at the Wales Millennium Centre to date, and Cardiff should be justly proud of this iconic venue and continue to support it in the future.'

Review by Yvonne Smith.

The Les Miserables production is staying in Cardiff until 16th January - although ticket availability is limited.

What a brilliant find Maggie. I'm just loving the bit about Gareth. He's really making his mark on this show

However, I was completely surprised by the performance of Gareth Gates, playing the young Marius, a part which gave Michael Ball his first big break in a musical. Having followed his progress in ‘Pop Idol’ and since, and being aware of his earlier speech difficulties, I was on tenterhooks when he appeared on stage. I needn’t have worried! His performance was mature and professional, with a voice strong and rich. He is certainly well suited to this type of entertainment

Love it :heart: and thanks for finding it.