Les Mis reports - Manchester

Maggiemags

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, My God! I can't quite get my head around all this. We've put up with the polar opposite from so many for so long, this feels GREAT! :D

Anyway, a small mention about the show from a Manchester United-mad blogger who had to miss the match last night to go to the performance. Nothing about Gaz, but he says of the production, here:

As it happens, Les Miserables was marvellous and I would wholeheartedly recommend anyone who has yet to see it (or indeed step foot into a theatre) go and see it for themselves.

greenlife182 @gareth_gates You where amazing tonight was so moved you gave a beautiful performance. Thanks for making our night and the photo too x

about 7 hours ago from web

daneswindells @Gareth_Gates well dun last nyt was amazin used to hve my hair like u wen i was 7 n was in magazine bout it mum forgot to bring it! haha! :|

about 19 hours ago from web

mikeadgroup Just seen Les Miserables in Manchester. Fab! First time I have enjoyed Gareth Gates singing.

about 7 hours ago from Twittelator

Some nice comments on the theatre Facebook page, including

Tricia Edmonds What a fantastic evening. The changes in the show were amazing and every member of the cast gave a great performance. Bring Him Home and Empty Chairs At Empty Tables were so moving and when Javert sang the soliloquy the audiance were so amazed that they didnt applaud as they were stunned. Everyone involved in the show deserves a standind ovation

6 hours ago ·

Jo Mayers I've loved Les Mis for a long time, but last night was my first time seeing it on a professional stage. Holy cow, what a spectacle. It's such a BIG show, even from my seat in the gods the gravity of the thing was palpable.

Must give credit to the scenery and props people; every scene change was smooth as caramel, and t...he fast pace cancelled out any tedium which might arise from the overall running time, which is of course very long.

Highlights were J.O.J. making everyone cry with Bring Him Home. Gavroche was superb too. Also, I HONESTLY didn't realise that Marius was Gareth Gates until afterwards, my mum and aunt had to convince me that it was him. Although it might not sound like a compliment, I was really happy that I didn't recognise him. It means that he's really grown up, and is earning his stripes in a big way.

about an hour ago

Heather-David Towers We were there on the opening night at the Palace - and what a night it was!! I have never seen Les Mis before but I have always enjoyed the music. It was fantastic to see the whole story on stage. The performance was brilliant - what fantastic voices and special effects. I'm still singing and humming the songs. Enjoyed it so much, my daughter and I bought the CD and fully intend going again as we had limited viewing seats.

8 hours ago

Eunice Flynn My friends and i went to last nights performance. It was fantastic a great production .First time ever we jumped to our feet to applaud at the end of the show. The singing and story and acting were brilliant Loved it.

7 hours ago

Suzanne Durr Incredible! Opening night was truly amazing. John Owen Jones is the best Jean valjean I have seen and Gareth Gates' performance was spectacular. It was amazing how he matured his character throughout the show. Such maturity in his performance and what a fantastic voice. The cast is truly amazing! congratulations to you all.

Yesterday at 4:28pm ·

Doesn't it all feel so good? :hyper:

I am loving what this person had to say. :hyper:

Also, I HONESTLY didn't realise that Marius was Gareth Gates until afterwards, my mum and aunt had to convince me that it was him. Although it might not sound like a compliment, I was really happy that I didn't recognise him. It means that he's really grown up, and is earning his stripes in a big way.

Diane Barnes This was the first time I have seen Les Mis although it is a firm favourite of my husband. I was absolutely and utterly 'blow away'. From the cast, to the orchestra, the unbelievable scenery and heartstopping story telling, it was truly a spectacle on a massive scale. I laughed and cried in equal measure and have never... ever seen such a mesmerising show. Huge congratulations to absolutely everyone concerned. I was left spellbound and only wish i'd bought tickets to go again!!

The Palace Theatre Fan site, as was the other one

Lois Gilbert Absolutely fantastic performance of Les Miserables. Gareth Gates and all the cast were absolutely amazing and front row middle stall seats are the best. Well Done!!!!!!!!!!

a must for everyone although mostly sold out

Thanks - do you mean their facebook page or is there another fan site? Facebook isn't working for me at the moment, so I can't check for myself, and I'm always interested to know who is writing what and where.

Sorry, Yes, I did mean their Facebook page. There are lots more messages on there by people who have been this week.

Couple of reports posted on WOS by people who went to today's Matinee

I previously posted that I was going to see Les Mis in Manchester and I went to today's matinee. As I said before, I am just an ordinary member of the public with no previous baggage about Les Mis and with no axe to grind. I just want to be entertained and enjoy the show. For what it's worth, I thought it was fantastic and I enjoyed every minute. I wish I was going again tomorrow! All the performers were great, especially John Owen Jones, the Thenadiers and Gareth Gates has a lovely voice, great presence and, surprise, surprise, he can act! He has certainly come a long way from the 17 year old kid on Pop Idol! But then saying that, he was a trained classical singer!

I shouldn't really separate anybody because all the performers, including the three children, put in an outstanding performance.

Well done to everybody. You gave a lot of pleasure to a lot of people. I hope the press reports tonight are also good and that you receive well earned praise.

I thank you all. You certainly gave me a lot of pleasure!

and

I was at the matinee as well and i think they announced that someone else was playing Valjean. Full marks for reinventing the piece, and some of it works even better, some of it just looks a bit too literal and fussy, but great new orchestrations. The backstage crew must be working even harder as there is a lot of bits and pieces constantly moving. I thought it was a very urgent production with everything performed with great speed and flourish - this worked particularly well for the rousing numbers, but not so for the death of Eponine for example. But exhilerating and sounding fantastic. I loved the projections when they clearly came from Victor Hugo but CG explosions at the barricades and CG snow - no thanks. And did the changing perspectives work? Not sure. Effective but possibly too gimmicky - I was waiting for a woman in white train to race along any minute. Probably the highlight was Empty Chairs. From where i was sat the Javert suicide didn't work - not everyone at the Palace will see the projections as it is a very steep auditorium. So much to write about it all. I was there at the first performance in the barbican way too many years ago - four hours plus.

But thanks Cameron for beign brave to reinvent it.

I think the first one may have been written by a fan of Gareth's, but he seems to have impressed the second person more than anyone else.

Nice little video of the audience views on the Palace Theatre Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=107567239254856

and

Joanne Elizabeth Ward I saw Les Mis for the 2 time the cast where brillant the best ones I've ever seen Gareth Gates as Marius was brillant I would love to see again if I could get tickets congras again 2 all the cast

#

I have been a massive fan of this amazing west end show since the age of 15. Every year I am even more amazed and this year was no exception. I think the new sets are really good. Loved the change, some very good ideas :)

I must say I was very pleasently surprised by the wonder that is Gareth Gates. I think he certainly has proved the critics wrong. His voice and his stamina have improved immensly. He fits the role of Marius perfectly and he truly was a joy to watch!

Also I am delighted that John Owen Jones is back as Val Jean! Totally awe inspiring! Good performance from the rest of the leads! Once again this show made every nerve in my body stand up! How much do I want Maddame Thenadier’s pink pom pom dress?

# melissa

From the Darius forum:

Went to see Les Mis last night and it was exceptional! Show was brilliant , fantastic production, and Gareth was made for the part. Can't praise it enough. It was press night, which I hadn't realised when I booked and it was a complete sell out. There was a standing ovation, which seemed to go on for ever and was so well derserved. If you can get to see it BT and Meg do so, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.(Even husband was impressed!!) Have already booked to go and see it again when it comes to the Lowry in August. Sue

From the fans page on Facebook

Jean Nelson Saw the show yesterday and want to see it again and again and again. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it now. John Owen-Jones is my favourite Jean Valjean, David Lawrence was superb as Javert and Gareth Gates amazing as Marius. Well done for updating the show. It just gets better and better. Good casting in... the Thenardier's too and Ithought Eponine especially good! Well done everyone.
Paula Munro Absolutely fab!!!! Amazing cast - especially Eponine, Marius and Mdme Trenardier!!! prob not spelt correctly!
Alison Davies this was stunning! Seen it a few times before but this was updated and great. I was worried that I might be disappointed by Gareth Gates - not at all! And Valjean was fabulous!
Siân Caddy Lindy Caddy,

Saw the show Tuesday Evening and it was fabulous and what it was our 4th time of seeing it and wanted to take the family as have raved so much about it and they all enjoyed it sooooooo much. Thought Gareth Gates was very good as Maurius . and we could see the way it has been updated over the years, the ...back drops where great especally the part where Javert throws himself into the river that was superb.

From Facebook

Lynda Clutton Never enjoyed a night at the theatre as much as this!!! How lucky are we to have this production in Manchester!!! I was emotionally drained when we walked out of the theatre. Absolutely mesmerising!! The cast - every one of them were truly great. The cheers and ovation they got at the end was magic. You could see t...hat the cast were thrilled with the reaction of the audience. This is perhaps the 20th time I have see Les Miserables, and it was by far the best production I have ever seen. Thank you to everyone who made "the best night of my life so far" possible!!

Just recovering after my trip to Manchester experienced two amazing shows have been the show fair few times as it is one of my favourite westend shows after Wicked. So I was excited to be seeing Gareth again and a little apprehensive as I was afraid I wouldn’t like the revamp of the show. I shouldn’t have worried as the show really blew me away and as for the changes think they work beautifully and it is every bit as good as the London show. You can tell Cameron Mackintosh has put some serious thought into this production and I Am so proud Gareth is a part of it. :smile:

Only thing that didn’t think work well was Javerts suicide for me as from the balcony the projection didn’t work well but seeing it the next day from the stalls it looked better and had a better effect on me. What can I say the cast are amazing and sang with real passion had me gripped from the very start until the end. As for Gareth I was gob smacked he has come on leaps and bounds I was impressed with him in Joseph but he is in a totally different league now love his quality in his voice and the emotion he projects is so touching had me in tears through empty chairs and tables and a little fall off rain had a new effect on me as wasn’t really moved before. I don’t know if it is because Gareth is playing Marius but really like the character now as before I didn’t think much off him think this production doesn’t make him as soppy/wet. Both the Wednesday night and Thursday matinee the cast got standing ovations Manchester truly loves the show. :hyper:

All around me people where so impressed with him and shocked at how far he has come was lovely to hear. Most importantly on the Wednesday night went with a few nurses from work so I was dead nervous to what they thought and they loved it and was even them who suggested waiting out for him. :thumbsup:

meandgg-2.jpg

Gareth and I

19355_314351603624_636773624_477-1.jpg

Gareth and browneyeschantel

Great photos! I'm so pleased you and everyone with you had such a good time.

Maggie and I went last night - and are going again tonight! :blush:

I really enjoyed it. I was a bit uncertain as the first time I saw it I wasn't that impressed, but the first time I saw it I didn't really have a clue what was going on. This time I was better prepared and it all made more sense, and clearly there was a much better cast.

I heard people mention Gareth's name a bit, but couldn't quite make out what they were saying. It seemed to be a mixture of positive and plain old interested based on the tone. I also noticed a fair bit of movement whenever Gareth appeared as if people were particularly interested by him being on stage.

Again there was a full standing ovation last night as far as I could tell, and lots of praise for the whole production on the way out. There has been some controversy about the changes, especially Eponine's "On My Own", and I heard a few people saying they thought she was good, but didn't like that change. I must admit I thought it worked in the context of the story and the emotions her character was feeling. However, I'm not sure that they should be changing how everyone else sings it just yet. I don't think it would suit most musical theatre singers anyway, because the actress had a more soulful voice than is usual.

It will be interesting to see what else I notice tonight, and will say more after that, but I'm very much looking forward to it. Although they could perhaps condense the first half hour or so. :tongue: