Reports from Birmingham Les Miserables

RussBass: Les Miserable at Birmingham Hippodrome was just wonderful. A truly awesome show. Gareth Gates can sing! ;-p

about 8 hours ago from twicca

russwillis: He kept that quiet! ;oP RT @RussBass Les Miserable at Birmingham Hippodrome was just wonderful. A truly awesome show. Gareth Gates can sing!

claire_dixon: Les Mis was fantastic! Wasnt sure about gareth gates being cast as marius when it was announced, but he made me cry in ...

about 8 hours ago

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Heather, there is a continuation to that last tweet from Claire

Part One:

Les Mis was fantastic! Wasnt sure about gareth gates being cast as marius when it was announced, but he made me cry in ...

about 9 hours ago via txt

Part Two:

Empty chairs at empty tables, which Ive never done before! :)

about 9 hours ago via txt

In fact, she says quite a lot about the show - clearly a big fan and very moved by the production. It's worth reading the whole lot on http://twitter.com/claire_dixon

The bits most relevant to Gareth include:

Right, as I can't pick one favourite moment from the show tonight, I'm gonna do a top 5... 5) A Little Fall of Rain...always loved this...

about 8 hours ago via DestroyTwitter

song, but never heard it performed with so much emotion, and the way that the audience responded made it even more powerful.

3) Gareth Gate's Empty Chairs at Empty Tables. Before tonight I doubted he had the talent to pull off such an emotional song, he did ...

it fantasticly, and I might just prefer his version to Michael Ball's, which I never thought I'd say!!

Just back from an even more brilliant show last night. Gareth's voice just leave me speechless. Can't believe how he manages to improve on it constantly. Little Fall Of Rain was my favourite last time I saw the show, but this time Gareth acted it so well. You could have heard a pin drop whilst he and Rosalind were singint. Obviously Empty Chairs was out of this world. Almost every member of the cast have improved on Cardiff I think and JOJ was phenomena. I really enjoyed `On My Own' from Rosalind and `I Dreamed A Dream' from Madelena. Great moment from the Thenardiers, when the silver they were stealing ended up in the Orchestra pit :laugh:

We managed to pick out Gareth in the other scenes at the beginning, with the exception of the rowing scene :unsure:

Saw several people from the site and managed to get my program signed by Gareth after the show. Just one thing though, he seems to be getting thinner than ever (not helped by jeans that looked like they'd been sprayed on him :laugh: )

Can't wait to go again next week now.

Well 'Brummegum'(Black Country slang for Birmingham) did us proud.

What a fabulous show.

Whilst we had great seats, Row F more or less in the middle, some of the effects weren't quite as visual.

However we could see peoples' faces far more clear than an earlier visit to the show, sitting in the circle (perhaps one of the reasons for choosing the stalls :blush: )

Have to say John Owen Jones was exceptional. He received a huge ovation on one of his songs. His voice was just magnificent.

Gareth was superb and his voice both gentle but powerful too. His voice has matured so. :wub:

It was interesting to search for him in the opening scenes (from one of our group's list, which she took to remind her/us what to look for- she didn't realise that with the lights down in the theatre, she wouldn't be able to see the list :rofl: ). I couldn't actually see Gareth at all and started to sweat thinking he wasn't on for the evening. We never checked the list of the cast in the foyer. Worry over, I spotted him in his triangle hat!

I didn't take to this new stand in Cosette. She wasn't a patch on Katie Hall. (It was only when I was told, in the interval, that Katie had tweeted she was back from holiday that I discovered it was her :blush: ) Needless to say in the second half, I thought she was wonderful!

The only empty seat in the theatre was next to me :ermm: so I never had the opportunity to ask my neighbout what they thought of Marius

I think the others heard someone commenting about Gareth and his dad, but I can't quite remember what they said, so I'll leave it for one of them to tell it.

The only mention we heard of Gareth was on the way out. Our ears pricked up at the mention of Marius and the gentleman said he had the good looks and charm of his dad. It was spoken as if they were friends of the family.

It was interesting to search for him in the opening scenes (from one of our group's list, which she took to remind her/us what to look for- she didn't realise that with the lights down in the theatre, she wouldn't be able to see the list ). I couldn't actually see Gareth at all and started to sweat thinking he wasn't on for the evening. We never checked the list of the cast in the foyer. Worry over, I spotted him in his triangle hat!

I didn't take to this new stand in Cosette. She wasn't a patch on Katie Hall. (It was only when I was told, in the interval, that Katie had tweeted she was back from holiday that I discovered it was her ) Needless to say in the second half, I thought she was wonderful!

Thanks for telling the world how stupid I was :laugh:

I don't know what planet you were on last night Chris. I think Gareth must have done something to your head :laugh:

Another positive review from a big theatre fan over on Musicals.net site. That's the one where they are all a bit over-protective of the WE version, but although very knowledgeable about this show, they seem to love a whole range of shows according to their profile, which bodes very well for Gareth being taken seriously in future roles. :smile:

i saw the opening night of Les Mis UK tour last night at the Birmingham Hippodrome, and i have to say that some bits did surprise me. Earl was just as amazing onstage as on the radio, and JOJ was fab as always. However i did not think the opening setting went very well, although i think it was a very original way or doing it. It took me ages to work out where they were lol

anddddddd cosette was blonde! Shocked lmao she was very good. she made cosette less of a "pretty" role, and more real, which worked well.

Gareth Gates surprised me too, how good he was in the acting bit of Marius. I had to try to stop myself tearing up in his solo

either way, i thought it was awesome Smile and i'm sooooo annoyed i didn't get to got stage-dooring, but i might pop along some day Laughing

Thanks for telling the world how stupid I was :laugh:

Did I mention names :smile:

Another particular recollection of the other night was at the stage door. One of our party was chatting to Gareth and he asked her if she had enjoyed the show. After answering she asked him 'Did you'? His answer "Yeah" was so enthusiastic and uplifting. Quite obviously, I can't portray any intonation of voice but his intonation told everyone he was just having the time of his life.

For me it was one of those special moments.

ianhrp: Les Mis at the Hippodrome yesterday was amazing and I hate to say it but Gareth Gates was very good

about 2 hours ago from web · Reply · View Tweet

ianhrp had tweeted earlier

first half of les mis done and its bloody good in fact amazing so far ,

and ,

Partaking in some culture today. Off to Les Miserables last time i watch it was in New York in 2001 ish so looking forward to it

That's a good review Doris from the Birmingham Mail but the Express & Star were there too.

They had this to say about Gareth:

Pop Idol runner up Gareth Gates took on the role of student Marius. Anyone who expected a little boy with a little voice will have been surprised because it appears he has grown up and can really sing. He deserved his place in a cast of truly brilliant singers.

Acclaim at last :hyper:

expressStarlesmis.jpg

You have to admire Cameron Mackintosh for promoting in every town the production is visiting.