A Grand Night Out

We're back (Apologies for not texting during the night but it went just so quick).

Wow what a night. Gareth was fab.

He actually sang 7 songs so was a real bonus.

First Close Every door with all the students.

Second Suddenly Seymour from a Little Shop of Horrors, a musical I am not too familiar with but it sounded good.

Third which I have to say was the biggest surprise (until we looked in the programme and realised it was listed as Gareth singing it). Gareth sang Tonight from West Side Story. It was a belter. For me the best song of the night.

That was First Act over.

Fourth he sang a song from Aladdin, which was never included in the musical. It was entitled Proud of Your Boy. It was lovely.

Fifth came Why God Why :wub: from Miss Saigon. His voice is meant for this part, should Miss Saigon be re-released. It was superb.

Sixth was Empty Chairs. Once again a brilliant rendition.

Finally One Day More where eventually the whole cast came on stage to sing (and march).

It was a brilliant night with a huge standing ovation at the end.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from Wolverhampton and can't add much to what Eternal has already said. It was a brilliant evening with Gareth fantastic of course (I'm sure he was wearing his wedding trousers and possibly waistcoat - whatever he looked stunning). Every time he performed he got a great reception and once again he really acted out his songs. The rest of the cast were pretty good too with the students acquitting themselves very well - one of the Year 11 boys had an amazing voice and will surely be heard again.

Afterwards we went to the stage door where they was quite a crowd waiting to see Gareth. Eventually he came out and was very patient with everyone, signing and having pictures taken - even though there was a security man trying to speed up proceedings! When it was my turn, neither my daughter nor sister-in-law could get their cameras on their phones to work. I didn't mind too much as I got three hugs from Gareth :wub::hug:

All three of us had a great time. I am so grateful that Gareth is prepared to take part in shows like this when he is so busy touring with Les Mis.

Love Linda

cynthie1941

@Gareth_Gates That was indeed a Grand night out! Fantastic! about 8 hours ago via web in reply to Gareth_Gates

wozie_stevie

@Gareth_Gates you were Fantastic tonight Gareth. A Grand day out was Brilliant. about 9 hours ago via Snaptu.com in reply to Gareth_Gates

Lovely review from the local paper http://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/2010/07/19/gareth-gates-grand-night-out/

Gareth Gates joined forces with youngsters from Dudley schools to perform show stoppers from musical theatre at the Grand Theatre.

Gates, who celebrated his 25th birthday last weekend, has reinvented himself as a stage star.

He was the undoubted draw last night, but there was plenty of other talent on show to impress.

Host Christopher Key opened the show perfectly with Willkommen from Cabaret, then handed over to a talented group of Year 11 students who performed a medley from Mama Mia.

The 14-piece band belted out hit after hit from favourites including a Grease medley, West Side Story and Wicked.

Six young ladies pulled off a great version of The Cell Black Tango from Chicago in style and the second half of the show saw a stunning performance of Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Lauren Soley and Lucy Cound, with magical guitar playing by Lizzie Parkes.

Friends and family aside, it was Gareth that a large part of the audience had come to see and he did not disappoint, with amazing performances from Joseph and Aladdin, an emotional version of Why God, Why? from Miss Saigon and of course Empty Chairs and Empty Tables from Les Mis.

Christopher Key’s beautiful performance of Bring Him Home and a rousing version of One Day More resulted in a standing ovation.

All in all a wonderful evening’s entertainment with talent and abilities right across the scale.

WD3724171@GARETH-3-TS-18.jpg

I'm not very good at writing reviews.. and can't really add to what's all ready been written but wow! what 'A Grand Night Out', I had! Sitting near the back I thought I'd might not be able to see the staget that well but did I have a great view of the stage from my seat and I really did think the whole show was fantastic. I thought some of the younger performers had amazing voices.

I think the last time I saw Gareth perform was at Bradford's HMV when he did his album signing, so it had been a while since I'd seen him sing. I was so amazed; his voice is just fantastic and I loved his stage presence. I must admit I didn't know many of the songs by name but I think I have heard some of them before. It's difficult to choose a favourite song of the night, that Gareth sang. Suddenly Seymour and Tonight are the two songs that were still playing in my mind, though I did really enjoy all of Gareth's songs. It was also really lovely getting to meet Gareth at the stagedoor, after the show.

I have had such a time meeting up with Doris, Katica and some of the other member of the boards. Thank you so much to Doris for meeting me at Manchester and travelling with me to Wolverhampton. I am so glad that I did decide to go and see the show, as it was a brilliant evening and I have memories that I'll treasure forever!

:blush::D

Thanks for putting up your report Katie. I'm so pleased you found the courage to come to the show. It was lovely to meet you yesterday. Now you've done it once it will be easier next time,

Thanks also for your report Lindajan.

Thanks for your great report Katie, so pleased you made the journey and loved the show. Great too that Gareth surprised you with his voice, which got even better then before.

Thanks Floz, a lovely write up in the local paper, with a brilliant photo too. :D

I know you have already seen it but thought I would show the actual article from my local paper.

Isn't it a great review?

GramdNightOut.jpg

To contact Express & Star telling them how fab Gareth was contact Email: Letters@expressandstar.co.uk. (Adding postal address, even if not for publication)

and

Twitter: @EandS_News

Just a couple of things that have come back to me.

How lovely was it to see all the Year 11 students coming out of the theatre clutching their pieces of paper signed by Gareth. They were all so excited to have been performing alongside him.

Also it was great to see Gareth when they were performing One Day More at the end of the show looking across at the two youngsters were singing the Thenardiers comedy bit and having a real laugh at and with them.

The young girls are showing their appreciation of performing with Gareth on Twitter

laalaa_lauren: @Gareth_Gates thankyou for performing in our show last night, you were wonderful! very grateful :D x
LaurenFearless: @Gareth_Gates Thankyou for "A Grand Night Out". Honoured to share the stage with you for One Day More. Your Awesome. <3
sarah_skulls: @Gareth_Gates thanks for coming and performing with us at the grand last night it was amazing. it was a privillage working with u :D

Wonder how many more there will be.

Thankyou for the reports everyone,Katie it was a pleasureto travel and spend time with you.(Are we going to see your prized picture)?

Had a wonderful night last night,it was lovely to meet so many fans from the boards.

Gareth was fantastic,his voice now, is so strong and just amazing.

Here are some pics of Gareth at the stage door.

Wolverhampton007.jpg

Wolverhampton008.jpg

Wolverhampton003.jpg

Wolverhampton006.jpg

Wolverhampton004.jpg

cropped2.jpg

cropped1.jpg

Gareth mentioned that Suzanne wasn't there celebrating their wedding anniversary as she was in Spain.

Thanks, it's lovely to see the article in print

Can anyone pop the article into the thread on the official site please?

It was lovely to meet you Katie. You are blooming brave travelling and staying in the hotel on your own. Great to hear you say you are eager to go loads of places now.

Loving the photos Doris.

Doesn't Gareth look really well (or dare I say hot)?

As we drove past there seemed loads at the stage door. They must all have been waiting for Gareth because moms and dads were waiting out the front.

Was lovely to see one girl from the cast running out to her mom and dad, hyper that she had got a photo with Gareth on her camera and couldn't wait to show them.

Thank you to everyone for the reports, photos an the paper article, what a fantastic night this was. I wish I could have been there.

What a treat for everyone with Gareth singing 7 songs WOW.

I hope someone somehere has this recorded, would love to hear the songs Gareth sung espcially the songs I haven't heard him sing before.