Les Miserables returns to the Barbican

Yorksheather

Great article in The Islington Gazette :D

http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/content/islington/gazette/news/story.aspx?brand=ISLGOnline&category=news&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newsislg&itemid=WeED17%20Aug%202010%2018%3A07%3A39%3A037

Miss Jeffreys said: "The new production is really exciting and I think it will get a good audience - sales are going very well.

"And when you see Gareth Gates, you don't think, 'Oh that's Gareth Gates'. It absolutely isn't a case of, 'Oh he's a star and that's why he's here'. He plays his role very well but he is also part of an ensemble crew."

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Opening tonight at The Barbican - a few valuable links

Main website: http://www.barbican.org.uk/

Twitter: @barbicancentre

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BarbicanCentre

They have posted a couple of photos on the tour Facebook page. Not that great a view of Gareth in them - but you can identify him as the one who got carried away with the tanning. :whistle:

Everyone seems very excited about it. :jump:

Yep spotted him (with a tan) :wub:

You can feel the excitement from those posts.

I feed kinda sad that this is the final destination because it has been such fun hearing from all the cast as well as Gareth.

Just going to enjoy every little snippet now. :thumbsup:

One here HERE

Thanks Eternal, I hadn't seen this.

Someone from Dress Circle who was there last night had a great time.

Just home from seeing the new production's first night at the Barbican. I'd heard that the tour was fantastic and people were raving about it but I went in a little bit sceptical. That did not last for long! I was overwhelmed by this production. It was like being a young teenager and seeing the show for the first time but totally different.

Everything about it was new and fresh. I can understand why its done such great business on tour. And from the ecstatic standing ovations and cheers that the audience gave tonight it was some homecoming.

I do not want to go into details about what was new with the staging as the thrill of being surprised was part of the experience. There was one moment in Act II where my heart just leapt at the new staging for a particularly dramatic moment.

Les Mis has always been a favourite of mines. I first saw the tour in Edinburgh at school. Rushed out to John Menzies the following day and bought the Dream Cast VHS. I pretty much wore that out and by time I had left school and gone to uni the tour was back on the road and I discovered the joys of student discounts! Safe to say I probably knew all the words and notes to the score and was only slightly more obsessed by Jesus Christ Superstar (Lyceum) than I was with anything LesMis. Fast forward to postgraduate times and a much more seasoned audience member and I return to see it several times at the Palace and then the Queens... and start to pick apart all its stale elements. The revolve. The slow motion. The general ripeness of such a time tested production. Don't get me wrong, I still love the original and check it out whenever there is someone new I like. However this evening means I don't think I can watch the Queen production in quite the same way.

The story is far clearer. Scenes flow into each other and the general background happenings give you a real idea of what and where is going on. There is also a lot of extra flourishes with spoken text here and there, reactions and moments between everyone on stage that brings the material alive. I lost track of the moments where I was welling up with emotion thanks to the new package. At times it was the new orchestrations, or the lighting design, or the new images created from fresh blocking or just the most valuable thing this show has...its cast.

The ensemble is strong at every link. There are a number of veterans in lead roles balanced out with some newer faces in the company. They all sound fantastic and give some great new line readings and phrasing choices with the score.

I don't think its fair to single anyone out. For once I left not having a sour taste from what I deemed poor casting! Although I will say that Jon Robyns makes a far better Enjolras than a Marius. Also I think John Owen-Jones pretty much owns Valjean now. Everything was just so honest and without any mannered ticks that certain people have brought to the role.

So if you can grab a ticket if you have not seen this on the road. Its sadly only running until October 2nd and then off overseas. I'm in two minds about whether it should replace the Queens production in time. I guess we shall trust Cameron Mac to steward this modern classic for another generation to discover again.

Oh and a few mini spoilers....

1. Loved the new lighting in "Stars". The heavenly light gracing Javert during the bridge was perfect. Makes his character arc that bit more obvious for those who see him as a simple villain. Also the orchestrations were epic for this number.

2. The reveal of Enjolras' corpse is still powerful and manages to remind us of the original image while still creating a powerful image. Always well up at this point.

3. Thank god all the silly oversized nuns are no more!

4. The moment with the bridge and Javert in Act II was the most thrilling change for me. Amazing. Hugh reaction from audience.

5. Finally a clever use of projected images! Subtle watercolour scenes and a flavour of a background instead of poor computer graphics and motions sickness FTW.

And did I mention how refreshing it is without the revolve? Go see it for yourself if you want further reveals.

It also seems as if Cameron Mackintosh and Claude-Michel Schönberg were in the audience last night too. :thumbsup:

That is lovely. I think it drives home how lucky Gareth is to be featured in what has become such a well respected, and possibly landmark production. Clearly, it's "luck" he deserves, and is there on merit - something that is being acknowledged by non-fans, but it's still a fantastic opportunity for him, and us too. :thumbsup:

The cast of the West End version were in the audience yesterday afternoon, and this one enjoyed himself:

scottgarnham Some truly wonderful performances today at @lesmistour!! Big Congrats to @johnowenjones @JRobyns @Gareth_Gates and the rest of cast!!

about 6 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

mikeyjhay

Just saw @Gareth_Gates in Les Mis. Very impressed. Well done mate about 9 hours ago via Twitter for iPad

Leemountjoy

I think @Gareth_Gates is very impressive in Les- Mis! Keep up the good work! about 9 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® in reply to Gareth_Gates

* Name Lee James Mountjoy

* Location Manchester / London

* Web http://www.leemou...

* Bio Currently casting for the Birmingham Stage Company and 'Done Our Way-The Making of Down Our Way' a Feature Film with Garry G Smith,Bruce Jones and Clint Boon

Another happy customer

ImpulseClaire Just saw #LesMis at Barbican. One word- AMAZING. @Gareth_Gates was fantastic as Marius. Loved loved loved it.

22 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

It also seems from the cast tweeting that they've not had their Barbican press night - I wonder how close to the end of the run they plan to have it! :unsure:

One of Gareth's new followers had this to say

michaeloh2010

Just got back from the (new) 25th Anniversary production of "Les Miserables" at the Barbican and it was awesome!!!

about 17 hours ago via web

@Gareth_Gates Great show last night! Have seen Les Mis many, many times and literally jumped to my feet during the curtain call. :-)

about 3 hours ago via web