Gareth interview on ITV show: 7th January 2012

eternal

I noticed this info on a new show about talent shows and it seems Gareth may be interviewed as part of it:

http://www.itv.com/p...02/default.html

The Talent Show Story

Episode: 1 of 5

Saturday, 7 January 2012, 8:30PM - 9:30PM

ITV1’s The Talent Show Story will look at the history of the ever popular talent show on British television and hear from those who have been involved in its evolution over the last 50 years - from the early days of shows like Opportunity Knocks and New Faces to the global phenomenon of 21st century brands like Pop Idol, The X Factor and Got Talent.

The five part series will explore the full history of the talent show – from the array of singers, bands, comedians, dancers and variety acts who have come up through the genre to the evolution of the panel of judges, from the role of the presenters to the job of the British public in often helping to pick Britain’s next big star.

The Talent Show Story will include interviews with some of the key players in talent show history past and present including Ant and Dec, Piers Morgan, Tony Hatch, Nina Myskow, Amanda Holden, Lenny Henry, Alexandra Burke, Dannii Minogue, Paul Potts, Diversity, Gareth Gates, JLS and One Direction.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This should be interesting. Gareth said he was doing an interview the same day he did the Children of Eden photo-shoot, so it might have been for this. Or he could have done it any time, as he always keeps quiet about these things.

However, with ITV mentioning Gareth's involvement in the press release, then it's a safe bet he's made the final edit, so I'm moving this to News and taking away the question mark from the thread title. :D

There's a bit more on the production company's website

• 2 weeks later...

There is a little more information here, as to the format of the first programme

http://www.itv.com/TVGuide/ (click to Saturday)

It reads:

Series 1, Episode 1

New five-part series which examines the history of the talent show on British TV, with comments by those who were there - from early shows like Opportunity Knocks and New Faces to the global phenomenon of blockbusters like Pop Idol, The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent. The first episode features how Susan Boyle came to epitomise the talent show dream, how Will v Gareth held the nation spellbound, and how Popstars ushered in a new era. Judge Nina Myskow reveals how she feels now about her cutting comments on New Faces 26 years ago. There is also a tribute to the late Marti Caine, who won New Faces in 1975 and returned to host the show in the 1980s. Many of the key players are interviewed: Simon Cowell, Ant and Dec, Susan Boyle, Gary Barlow, Piers Morgan, Tony Hatch, Dermot O'Leary, Nina Myskow, Nigel Lythgoe, Amanda Holden, Lenny Henry, Alexandra Burke, Dannii Minogue, Gareth Gates, Louis Walsh, JLS, Kelly Rowland, and One Direction. Narrated by Victoria Wood. SUB

Without clicking on any links this is sort of the general press release of what is being said:

Simon Cowell’s number one is Gareth Gates

SIMON Cowell can't watch the final of Pop Idol 2002 without feeling sick — because he wanted Gareth Gates, not Will Young, to win. 8 comments Related StoriesSimon Cowell's relax factor MUSIC mogul chills out in the sun with fiancée Mezhgan Hussainy on yacht in Caribbean Cowell tears as X Factor Kerry diesProf’s anger at Will losing VoiceWill Young’s knock-backsWill Young rages over losing VoiceThe music mogul reveals on the show's tenth anniversary that he doesn't like Will. He tells the first episode of ITV1's The Talent Show Story: "I thought he was obnoxious, full of himself. "I thought this will be interesting. You don't like me, I don't like you... and nothing's changed particularly. "I still can't watch the final because I was really disappointed." On his favourite, stammering Gareth, Simon says: "When I first saw him I hoped he could sing. He looked great and then he couldn't talk. I really liked Gareth and wanted him to win. I remember feeling it in my stomach, I felt sick. That's how much it affected me. It shouldn't but it did." The five-part series, narrated by Victoria Wood, goes behind the scenes of telly talent shows from the original Opportunity Knocks to slick offerings such as The X Factor. There are interviews with Dannii Minogue, Dermot O'Leary, Tulisa, Kelly Rowland, Ant and Dec, Lenny Henry, Piers Morgan, Amanda Holden, Pete Waterman, One Direction and JLS.

There is no word from gareth's team yet that Gareth is being interviewed on this show so we may have to put up with a pieced together 'interview' of what Gareth has said in the past.

It seems a little late that Simon Cowell is speaking up for Gareth now. Where was he years ago when Gareth was getting a beating from the media?

I'm not sure this is going to be any good for Gareth.

It is also in The Sun http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4042468/Simon-Cowells-number-one-is-Gareth-Gates-Music-mogul-wanted-Gareth-to-win-over-Will-Young-on-Pop-Idol.html

I am still looking forward to watching this programme , being on ITV 1 on a Saturday night , maybe it will spark up an interst in Gareth again to see what Gareth is doing now :thumbsup:

I,too, have never been able to watch the final of Will Young winning. Even now, I refuse to listen to any of Will Young's records. I switch off the radio and TV when he appears. Childish,I know, but can't help it. I agree with Simon, he is too full of himself!

It seems that we never grow up!!

Hi Janey and a big welcome to the site.

Let's hope the programme tomorrow speaks out in Gareth's favour. This is the best we can hope for.

If there is a current interview from Gareth, it will be a real treat to see him back on TV.

Hope you stay with us Janey. How long have you been a fan of Gareth?

Welcome Janey to the boards. :) I did feel like that in the beginning but have to say, not anymore. I know Gareth is doing fine, and he is doing what he loves doing, that is enough for me.

Still wished Simon would not say things like that, lets face it, if he liked Gareth that much, he certainly did not show the loyalty to him a few years after.

Welcome Janey to the boards. :) I did feel like that in the beginning but have to say, not anymore. I know Gareth is doing fine, and he is doing what he loves doing, that is enough for me. Still wished Simon would not say things like that, lets face it, if he liked Gareth that much, he certainly did not show the loyalty to him a few years after.
I feel the same way as you now too Khelda. Gareth and Will have moved so far away from each other in the direction their careers have taken, it doesn't bother me now the way it did. The only thing I will say is after reading all the tweets today about this it annoys me somewhat when they talk about Gareth's stammer. Gareth has spent years doing all he can to overcome his stammer whereas as far as I can see Will has made no effort at all to correct his lisp. You can still hear it in every song he sings which to my mind detracts from his voice. A lisp is much easier to correct than a stammer. I know because I had a quite bad one when I was a child and it only took a few visits to a speech therapist to cure it.

Welcome to the site Janey.

It's good to see Gareth (or his manager) letting people know he is doing this tomorrow. Perhaps that moaning does pay off!

Hopefully Gareth will get the chance to speak about his experiences on the show, and not just dwell on the rivalries. The experience Gareth and Will went through ten years ago was quite different to what it's like now. There wasn't the same expectation of instant fame, and so it was all much more of an honest experience.