Gareth interview on ITV show: 7th January 2012

eternal

A lot of people said how nice Gareth came across, and that, as well as the reminders of him on the show first time around, got people reminiscing and thinking about how much they like him. Even the people who were worked up about Simon backing Gareth had to concede (most of them) that Gareth was nice. :wub:

Going back to the trending topics thing - one not so good side effect is that the various spam-bots on twitter tap into the phrases in the trending topics and include them in their spam tweets. Watch out what links you click on in tweets where Gareth gets a mention! Most of them are easy to spot, because they are automated and don't make much sense, lol.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I get lots of those spam tweets when I tweet to Gareth. Just block and report them. You can always tell because they never follow anyone or have any followers.

Did you by any chance record the show Snowdrop. It deserves to be on YouTube.

I enjoyed the program, all of it, brought back some memories. :)

I also checked out his albums on Amazon before the program, and (I know it does not mean much, and is probably only a few), his first album went from ranking 72288 to 15768 after the show. For some reason the other 2 did not move.

Maybe a few people got themselves a new copy. :)

I could put it on YouTube, but so long as it is on the ITV Player, I'd rather people watched it on there. It's better for Gareth if the show, especially the bit featuring him, gets lots of views. Unfortunately the ITV player isn't working at the minute, but hopefully later.

Yes, that's what I meant, after it had been taken down off the ITV Player. There are always lots of people who leave it too late to watch on there and go searching out a recording. Also your recordings are always such good quality, it would be good to be able to tweet a link to it.

Well not sure about anyone else but I am feeling like ' the morning after the night before' (without a Jaeger Bomb in sight).

Last night covered every emotion, ending with all brill.

Thanks for the alert abou the spam tweets and great to read all the positives about Gareth's appearance.

Just enjoying seeing it again (and again) on Iplayer but think look forward to seeing it on Youtube eventually too.

Hi folks,

Just got around to commenting on last night's show.

I thought Gareth was brill, as always. Interesting to see how different he looks now, to when he was 17 (as you said Snowdrop, NOT 18!) In fact, I believe Gareth still holds the record on being the youngest ever UK Male to have a number 1 single. (Not that we heard anything on the show about his success since Pop Idol, which is a shame!)

I'm pleased that responses on Twitter, etc. appear to be positive. Let's hope it's done him some good!

I was also worried that Simon Cowell's comments about Will would throw a spanner in the works for Gareth, but it doesn't seem to have done, thank goodness! Like a lot of you (and Simon Cowell have said) I still cannot watch the 2002 final even though, in reality (pardon the pun!) there were truly two winners on the night, with just over 4 million votes each! (It really could have gone either way!)

Have been checking newspapers links and it seems the majority are reporting the same from last night:

Simon Cowell has admitted that 10 years on he still cannot bring himself to watch the first Pop Idol final because he was so disappointed that Gareth Gates lost.

The reality show supremo said his first impressions of the eventual winner Will Young were that he was "obnoxious" and "full of himself".

Speaking on ITV1's The Talent Show, Simon said his opinion of Will had not changed.

He said: "I thought, 'this will be interesting - you don't like me, I don't like you' ... and nothing's changed particularly."

Nikki Chapman, who was alongside Cowell on the judging panel for the 2002 series, said Gareth had "the most beautiful voice", admitting: "We were all smitten."

Simon said the shock result which saw Will win made him feel "sick".

He said: "I still to this day can't watch the final back because I was really, really disappointed. I really liked Gareth and wanted him to win."

Good to read Nicki Chapman's quote about the beauitful voice being included. :jump:

I had another look on Amazon, and where the 1 album went straight after the program from 72288 to 15768 its now on 8,793.

And this time the 2nd one moved too from over 75000 to 10352, and his last album went from 79000to 8822 ranking. :thumbsup:

Just shows that some people who watched the program checked him out on Amazon and decided to buy. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, there was a very brief bit with Gareth in the second episode. They were all talking about Simon, and amongst the many people saying something about him, Gareth did too. I can't remember what he said though! :blush:

Going from twitter, it looks like Gareth made an appearance last night too, although I've not watched it yet, so I don't know if it's anything we've not seen before. They seem to show the same stuff again and again.

I watched last night's show (between Dancing on Ice) and there wasn't anything new from Gareth, and no actual interview bit. But they did give him a couple of name checks earlyish in the show when they were talking about how Darius made something of a fool of himself on Popstars, but then turned it around to become a very respectable third behind Gareth Gates and Will Young. They also talked quite a bit about the series and how it created three of the most commercially successful artists in the history of the talent show in Gareth, Will and Darius - and while Darius didn't get his triple platinum album, he did get a number one single! :D

There was also a couple of brief clips towards the end when they were summing up the series and were showing a string of the iconic moments, which included Gareth introducing himself, and then later Will winning <_< and then Gareth giving his very cute, generous clapping. :)

Guest NicolaJayne

I saw it too and it was nice to see the all positive Gareth mentions and clips of him. I think more stars came out of that Pop Idol than any other talent show as Zoe also is doing well in Musical Theatre even though she wasn't mentioned. :)