Gareth to play Prince Charming at St Albans Arena

maria_1981

Nice article in Times 24

http://www.whtimes.co.uk/what-s-on/gareth_gates_in_st_albans_for_christmas_pantomime_cinderella_1_3010449

Gareth Gates in St Albans for Christmas pantomime Cinderella

2768295544.jpg

Gareth Gates who is starring as Prince Charming in Cinderalla for this year's St Albans pantomime

Sunday, November 17, 2013
11:50 AM

HE stole thousands of hearts during his rise to pop stardom and now Gareth Gates will be seeking out the lucky owner of a glittery, glass slipper in St Albans’ Christmas pantomime, Cinderella.

2321464399.jpgThe cast of Cinderella which is at the Alban Arena this year

This year’s Alban Arena production welcomes a stellar cast alongside the Pop Idol finalist, including local funny man Bob Golding as Buttons, CBeebies presenter Andy Day as Dandini, and panto regular Jemma Carlisle as Cinderella.

Set to be the biggest, glitziest and most ambitious pantomime the city has ever seen, the magical Evolution production runs from Friday, December 6 to Sunday, January 5, 2014 – and even features real horses on stage.

Chart-topping Spirit in the Sky singer Gareth Gates, who will turn on the St Albans Christmas lights today (Sunday), has wowed crowds in a string of West End plays in recent years.

But he said he has a soft spot for “panto”, having already played Prince Charming four times, and cannot wait to get stuck in.

1935226213.jpgJemma Carlisle is playing the title role of Cinderella in St Albans panto

He said: “For me it’s fun. I’ve done Les Misérables, I’ve done Joseph, and Legally Blonde, which are all kind of serious musical theatre, and when it comes to panto, it’s just a bit more free and a bit more fun.

“You can have a laugh on stage; you can ad lib and interact with the audience, so I’m really looking forward to that.

“I’m also looking forward to bringing my daughter down, she’s four. She’ll really enjoy seeing daddy being the prince.”

Bob Golding, who is also directing the show this year and returning for his third consecutive panto, said: “It’s gonna be very glitzy, it’s a proper traditional pantomime this year.”

1300578304.jpgBob Golding who is appearing in St Albans panto Cinderella

The Morecambe star added: “I remember this time last year saying I think this is going to be the best pantomime there has ever been and I think it was.

“We had a fantastic response from the audience; I think we can do it again this year.”

Andy Day, a BAFTA nominee and star of Andy’s Wild Adventures, shared Bob’s excitement.

He said: “Evolution are a company I’ve been wanting to work with for absolutely ages.

2238041968.jpgCBeebies star, Andy Day who is appearing in St Albans panto Cinderella

“I’ve seen a lot of their pantos and I think they’re brilliant and funny, they’ve got the magic, they’ve got everything a panto should have.

“I love panto. I think it is one of those great British traditions that brings everyone together at Christmas, makes it feel like Christmas and it’s great family entertainment.

“I think it’s just the one solid, family entertainment that everyone knows about.

“You’ve probably grown up with it, it brings you back to being a kid again. It’s great, love it.”

Tickets for Cinderella start at £17.50 for adults and there is a £2.50 discount for concessions.

For more information visit www.alban-arena.co.uk or call 01727 844488.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

A few more snippetts about moving 'home' to St.Albans and about the album in this nice interview here:

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/leisure/theatre/10845505.Gareth_Gates_will_overcome_stammer_to_star_in_Alban_Arena_s_panto/?ref=rss

Gareth Gates will overcome stammer to star in Alban Arena's panto

He stole thousands of hearts during his teenage rise to fame and now singer Gareth Gates will be taking to the stage as Prince Charming to seek out his one true love.

His Cinderella co-star Jemma Carlisle, 25, has already confessed she had a crush on him during his Pop Idol days and director Bob Golding says “something magical happens“ when Gareth sings.

But in real life the father-of-one still struggles with the stammer that marked him out when he competed in the television show.

Gareth says: “I’m quite shy in real life and I think that’s because of my speech and having a stammer. When I’m very busy or stressed, and I have been very very busy recently, so my speech takes a knock. I have my speech coach with me and he will be there for the first few days of rehearsal, but then I will find my confidence.

"When you are on stage you adopt a different persona and I won’t be Gareth Gates I’ll be Prince Charming, and that helps.“ After spending the last five years starring in shows such as Les Miserables, Legally Blonde and Joseph, Gareth is now also going back to his first love, pop.

“I have been in the studio all year writing my new album and hopefully we will have that recorded fairly soon.

“I have really enjoyed doing the musical theatre and will certainly do more of it. However, being out of the music industry for so long, I started to miss being an artist and want to do a little bit of that for a bit.“ When asked what fans can expect from his new music, the 29-year-old, who is not signed to a label, says: “I’m 12 years older than I was when I did Pop Idol. I have grown up a little bit, so it’s not the same sound as back then.

Having a stammer all my life, music was my only form of expression and release and writing songs is often my only way of getting out of me what was in me.“ He is hoping to see lots of fans in the audience in St Albans, including his number one supporter, four-year-old daughter Missy.

He says: “She’ll love to see her daddy play the Prince.“ If your are out and about in the city, keep your eyes peeled, as Gareth says he is planning to move to the area during the run with his best friend Matt, who plays one of the Ugly Sisters.

"It’s going to be great fun. It’s our first time doing panto together.

“We are looking for a place to live in St Albans. It could be dangerous.“ Also newly arrived in the city is his co-star Jemma, who fell in love with the area after starring in panto here for the last two years.

This will be her 18th panto role and she says: “Cinderella is my favourite. She’s the ultimate princess. You never think when you are little you will get dressed up as a princess at Christmas, so it’s a bit of a dream.

“To me, Christmas is panto.“ Gareth agrees: “I love Christmas and have done panto so many times that it wouldn’t be Christmas without it.“ Local star Bob Golding, directs and also stars as Buttons, says: “I was worried about it when I did the first panto here three-years-ago, it’s quite middle class area but something happens when we open those panto doors because people go crazy.

“Each time it is bigger and more rowdy and Cinderella is about as big and impressive as it gets.

“It’s so glitzy, romantic and spectacular and I have no qualms saying this is going to be the best panto ever.“

• 2 weeks later...

The first review is in from The Stage

http://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/review.php/39282/cinderella?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheStageReviews+%28The+Stage+%2F+Reviews%29

Cinderella
Published Monday 9 December 2013 at 12:04 by Katie Colombus

St Albans pantomime comes highly recommended this year. Producers Paul Hendy and Emily Wood have outdone themselves with a stellar cast and spectacular production values.

The show is chock-full of truly funny jokes, local references and well-known songs that fit into the Cinderella tale. It has the required cultural references such as What Does the Fox Say?, as well as a guest appearance by “Bruce Forthright and Twice Daily” for a ballroom dancing skit. The multi-talented cast has the entire audience joining in with the participation (even the most unwilling dads and grumpy grandpas) and there’s even a bit of fake snow for some super-psyched scouts in the middle aisles.

It is a sophisticated production, well directed, cast and choreographed. The dancing is slick and to a high standard - even in the younger members of the cast.

Gareth Gates is dreamy as Prince Charming, living up to his moniker, and CBeebies’ Andy Day as his loyal servant Dandini is excellent - appealing most to TV-watching children, but also amusing for the adults. Jemma Carlisle’s Cinderella is gorgeous, doll-like and has a sweet lilt to her singing, while Laura Jane Matthewson’s northern fairy godmother is hilarious and Bob Goulding’s Buttons is a hoot.

Design aspects are lavish (set and costumes by Helga Wood), with the ugly sisters’ costumes particularly noticeable. The gruesome twosome (played by Matthew Daines and Sam Rabone) are adorned in the brightest of garbs, resplendent at different times in velour vegetables, hideous hunting gear and leopard-print leggings. Cinderella’s gowns - and the transition into them - are dazzling, and the scenery is magnificent, with impressive props such as two miniature, white Shetland ponies to pull the carriage.

Evolution’s Cinderella is a delightful dalliance full of jolly jokes and family-friendly japes - it’s a super Christmas treat.

I suppose different people like different singers so she/he is entitled to their opinions and it's still quite a good review over all of the whole pantomine.

This lady loved Gareth's voice :wub:

http://thelocalfoodie.wordpress.com/2013/12/12/yes-i-shall-go-to-the-ball-with-lovely-gareth-gates/

Yes I shall go to the Ball – with lovely Gareth Gates

Cinderella – The Alban Arena

prr_9519.jpg?w=225&h=141

It was a dazzling night of pumpkins, ponies and pop stars for the Alban Arena’s polished production of Cinderella. We were promised “our best panto ever” and yes, they have delivered. From the moment the ushers started dancing in the aisles the show had the sell-out audience laughing and joining in. There were several real “ooh” moments, and plenty of in-jokes for the local crowd.

Each year the talented Evolution team mix up the panto formula, adapting the classic stories to make the most of their stars. With former chorister, Pop Idol finalist, singer of five (count ‘em) number 1 singles and star of many West End musicals Gareth Gates as Prince Charming, we were treated to amazing songs this year. Gareth delivered three knock-out numbers, including Jason Mraz’s “I won’t give up on love” which captivated the audience and earned a huge round of applause. Gareth’s wonderful singing and effortless stage presence is worth the ticket price alone. Speaking to him afterwards and seeing how relaxed he is with people of all ages, it is incredible to remember the stammering teenager from Pop Idol.

The servant Dandini who switches place with Prince Charming was played by CBeebie favourite Andy Day. The younger children in the audience loved him and found him a calm, funny presence in the very lively show. When Andy asked a question, hundreds of little arms pointed in the right direction to help him out. Gareth and Andy together were a lovely combination and had an easy, very watchable camaraderie.

Cinderella was played by Jemma Carlisle, returning to St Albans after her success last year as the leading lady. Although still very young Jemma has performed in 16 pantomimes and many musicals and her fabulous voice and confident stage presence means that she more than holds her own in the strong cast. Laura Jane Matthewson played a young, funky Fairy Godmother, with some very funny lines. Laura Jane is a graduate of The Royal Academy of Music and has performed with Elton John – we get all the talent in St Albans! We were surrounded by young children dressed in Cinderella outfits with sparkly wands, enjoying their chance to dress like a star so it was good to see such strong female performers in action.

This production of Cinderella has something for everyone in the family. The music, including songs adapted from Hairspray and One Direction meant that people of every generation were humming along at some point. Even the Dads and “Grumpy Grandads” found “When the Saints” hard to resist and I was surrounded by waving arms and robust singing along!

The dancers of all ages are very slick, and I thought the Strictly Come Dancing version of the Palace Ball was such a clever idea, and was a chance to showcase the talented team. It is lovely to see our young local talent chosen to play the young villagers – great smiles everyone.

And of course, as we have come to expect from the St Albans pantomime, the comedy elements were terrific. Local favourite Bob Golding was in his element as Buttons. Cheeky, silly and at times VERY rude, Bob has huge appeal and oodles of talent. Our cool 11 year old was in stitches during Bob’s boardgame skit, and our 7 year old deafened me in one ear shouting “it’s behind you” during the classic bench scene. In fact, the bench got it’s own cheer it is such a favourite with the local crowd. 11 year old was delighted to see Ian Kirkby as Baron Hardup as she loves the BBC show The Slammer that he appears in. Ian is pretty horrible in that, but was silly and charming in panto, with some interesting dance moves. The ugly sisters played by returning favourite Sam Rabone and Gareth’s best friend Matthew Daines were fabulous. Look out for their costumes at the Ball and in the spooky woods – aren’t they amazing? This year Helga Wood (mother of Producer Emily Wood) made the sister’s costumes. Playing the ugly sisters is an art form and these two actors are at the top of their game. I will just warn any Dads sitting in the front row – you might be in for a tough time!

Following the success of last year the Evolution and Arena team have added another week to the panto run. Many of the key Christmas dates are sold out but there is some availability until the 5th January. The Arena have already sold over 6000 tickets for Jack and the Beanstalk next year, so get yours while you can!

What an absolutely fabulous review :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is a lovely review from Herts Advertiser

http://www.hertsad.co.uk/what-s-on/theatre/cinderella_a_triumph_at_alban_arena_1_3106716

It was a dazzling night of pumpkins, ponies and pop stars for the Alban Arena’s polished production of Cinderella.

We were promised “our best panto ever” and yes, they have delivered. From the moment the ushers started dancing in the aisles the show had the sell-out audience laughing and joining in.

Each year the talented Evolution team mix up the panto formula, adapting the classic stories to make the most of their stars. With former chorister, Pop Idol finalist, singer of five number 1 singles and star of many West End musicals Gareth Gates as Prince Charming, we were treated to amazing songs this year.

Gareth delivered three knock-out numbers and his wonderful singing and effortless stage presence is worth the ticket price alone.

The servant Dandini who switches place with Prince Charming was played by CBeebies favourite Andy Day. The younger children in the audience loved him and found him a calm, funny presence in the very lively show.

Gareth and Andy together were a lovely combination and had an easy, very watchable camaraderie.

Cinderella was played by Jemma Carlisle, returning to St Albans after her success last year as the leading lady. Although still very young her fabulous voice and confident stage presence means that she more than holds her own in the strong cast.

Laura Jane Matthewson played a young, funky Fairy Godmother with some very funny lines. A graduate of The Royal Academy of Music, she has performed with Elton John – we get all the talent in St Albans!

This production of Cinderella has something for everyone in the family. The music, including songs adapted from Hairspray and One Direction, meant that people of every generation were humming along at some point.

The dancers of all ages are very slick, and I thought the Strictly Come Dancing version of the Palace Ball was such a clever idea and a chance to showcase the talented team. It is lovely to see our young local talent chosen to play the young villagers – great smiles everyone.

And of course, as we have come to expect from the St Albans pantomime, the comedy elements were terrific. Local favourite Bob Golding was in his element as Buttons. Cheeky, silly and at times very rude, Bob has huge appeal and oodles of talent.

Our 11 year old was delighted to see Ian Kirkby as Baron Hardup as she loves the BBC show The Slammer that he appears in. Ian is pretty horrible in that, but was silly and charming in panto, with some interesting dance moves.

The Ugly Sisters played by returning favourite Sam Rabone and Gareth’s best friend Matthew Daines were fabulous. Playing the Ugly Sisters is an art form and these two actors are at the top of their game. I will just warn any Dads sitting in the front row – you might be in for a tough time!

The panto runs until January 5 this year and there is still some ticket availability.

BECKY ALEXANDER

This is yet another lovely review: :thumbsup:

http://childplays.wordpress.com/2013/12/14/cinderella-alban-arena/

Cinderella – Alban Arena
Posted by ktchildplays ⋅ 14/12/2013⋅

8 December 2012, 5pm

Aaah – Cinderella – the greatest of pantos in my book and Evolution’s production well-lived up to that billing. It’s a romp from start to finish, incorporating traditional and familiar panto convention with – wait for it – some NEW jokes! I actually LOLLED!

It is full of glitz and sparkle, well-known songs and local references, including enjoyable pops at Harpenden and Luton, and is quite simply a lot of fun with strong performances throughout.

For once, the character of Cinderella didn’t annoy me. Normally I find this character is played as someone who is a bit needy and annoyingly insensitive to Buttons’ unrequited love, but Jemma Carlisle played her in a genuinely sweet way.

Gareth Gates is a handsome Prince Charming and given that he is a singer by trade has many more songs that the part is normally graced with.

But this is rightly so as it reminds the audience of the lovely voice that got him to the final of X Factor predecessor Pop Idol, something which is also made a lot of as characters keep mistaking him for fellow contestant Darius.

Speaking has been a challenge for Gareth in the past due to his well documented stammer but it is clear he has this well under control as he delivered his lines perfectly and even included a few jokes about it.

He forms an excellent partnership with Dandini, superbly played by CBeebies Andy Day, whose appearance sent a frisson of excitement amongst the pre-school viewers!

Laura Jane Matthewson’s northern fairy godmother was warm and funny and encouraged the audience to take part along the way.

The outrageously dressed Ugly sisters Beatrice and Eugenie, played by Matthew Daines and Sam Rabone, were both witty and wicked, just as these roles demand and also brought a lot of laughs to all their scenes.

I think the most impressive performance was by Bob Golding as Buttons who is truly a force of nature, genuinely funny, full of energy and well able to establish an excellent rapport with the audience.

His Bruce Forsyth impression as they recreate Strictly at the ball is a particular highlight. He is the lynchpin who holds it altogether, most appropriately considering he is the director as well and frankly, he devotes himself so wholeheartedly to the role, he must be exhausted by now.

The result of all this is a show that delivers a lot of fun, laughter and sparkle from a cast who genuinely look like they are enjoying themselves.

You simply can’t beat a good panto at Christmas and this one has all the ingredients of great, festive, family entertainment.

Running time

About 2.5 hours including a 20 minute interval.

Age range

A family show. I took my six-year-old niece to this evening performance and she loved it – her highlights being “Buttons and getting a sparkly wand”!

The first half is over an hour and a three-year-old V would have been out of control with excitement and tiredness by the end after a long day so I’m taking her to a matinee later!

Other stuff

A large selection of reasonably priced flashy wands compared to other shows and programmes are £3.50.