Bishop's Cleeve - Tithe Barn Gig 5/9/14

Val4Gareth

Gareth is down to perform here on 5th September. Not yet confirmed. However Ali has retweeted this tweet so looks like its correct.

See @Gareth_Gates acoustic live at BISHOP'S CLEEVE TITHE BARN 5th Sept. Tickets 7th April cleeveconcerts.co.uk or 0844 576 2210.

http://cleeveconcerts.weebly.com/

Now confirmed on Gareth's Facebook

Insanity Talent
5th September 2014
Bishops Cleeve , Tithe Barn Cheltenham Road , Bishops Cleeve GL52 8LU

2 x 45 minute sets

Tickets go on sale April 5th 2014
http://www.cleeveconcerts.co.uk

Gareth HQ x

Intimate Concerts by Established Artists in the atmospheric setting of Bishop's Cleeve 15th century tithe barn
WWW.CLEEVECONCERTS.CO.UK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gareth speaks to the Gloucestershire Echo ahead of his gig at Bishops Cleeve

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Pop-Idol-s-Gareth-Gates-living-life-regrets-ahead/story-22823347-detail/story.html

Pop Idol's Gareth Gates on living life with no regrets ahead of gig at Bishop's Cleeve Tithe Barn

By Gloucestershire Echo | Posted: August 26, 2014

By Jonathan Whiley

6827491-large.jpg

Gareth Gates performs as Bishop's Cleeve Tithe Barn

He was the 17-year-old who captured the hearts of a nation with poster boy looks and a voice that could melt a million hearts.

Before X Factor put a vice-like reality TV grip on the nation, it was Pop Idol that blazed the trail and Gareth Gates was the show’s leading light.

The script was written for the boy who would be king, the spiky black-haired teenager who attended church and endeared himself to audiences with his cheeky smile and determination to overcome a crippling stammer.

But when it came to the crunch, it was softly-spoken Will Young who shocked millions by walking away with the crown.

After a series of hit singles including a cover version of Unchained Melody and a debut album that peaked at number two in the charts, Gareth was riding high on his Pop Idol success.

In his private life he even found himself having a brief fling with glamour model Katie Price which he has only publicly admitted to in recent years.

Except it didn’t last; record sales dried up and he was dropped from his record label and rumours circulated of Gareth pursuing the kind of party lifestyle his idol, Elvis, enjoyed.

Now 30, the dad-of-one is still plugging away in an industry he remains passionate about and admits that he’s perhaps better placed than ever.

“I’ve learnt a lot about life since,” he says, taking deep breaths and pausing often to control his stammer.

“That was 12 years ago and I’m a lot older and wiser for going through an experience like that.

“It was instant exposure and it was a lot of fun and ever since I’ve gone on to sell millions of records.

“At the time it just felt like everything suddenly sped up for me and it made me suddenly start think about life.”

He admits that becoming a pop star

was a dream come true and despite a non-stop schedule he’s humble about his privileged position of travelling the world and reaping the benefits of what he calls a “comfortable lifestyle.”

Working hard is something he mentions over and over – he’s not labouring the point deliberately but it’s clearly a mentality that emerges from his upbringing in Bradford.

“I had a great childhood,” he says. “I was one of four kids and it was a challenge being the eldest but I was larger-than-life and very happy.

“My life was always around music and I worked hard; I was playing guitar and piano and the drums and also singing and I really had to find the opportunities to do that.”

Recognising that, he opened his own Performing Arts Academy to help “others share the dream.”

In his own career, he continues to plug away at both his music and his stammer.

“I’ve had a stammer since I was five so I adopted the mentality that music was the only form of expression,” he says.

“Writing music is something I’ve always done. I’ve been doing it since I was a child and I think that relates to my speech and not being able to fully express myself.

“Everybody will have to deal with something in life and for me it’s my speech.”

He admits that when he auditioned for Pop Idol he thought it stammer could hold him back.

But he believes that if anything, it gave him an advantage.

“It’s funny. I was quite concerned about that and not being able to express myself and my true personality.

“But for me the stammer helped me on a show like Pop Idol. It made me stand-out and I think that was a positive.”

Of course it helps that he has a carefree mentality, doesn’t read the tabloids and his world is centred around his five-year-old daughter.

“I live life with no regrets at all,” he says.

“My schedule is hectic and it’s all about any opportunity to spend time with my daughter and my family in Yorkshire.”

Suddenly, in the blink of an eye, Gareth Gates isn’t 16 any longer and yet he’s still as polite and charming as ever.

Tickets for his acoustic set at Bishop’s Cleeve Tithe Barn on Friday, September 5, cost £30. Call 08445 762210.

I think this is a great interview. Thanks for posting it.

It is hard to live life without any regrets but we are all the better for trying to.

I love how the interview finishes too " Gareth Gates isnt 16 any longer but still as polite and charming as ever".

Had the most amazing time at Bishops Cleeve last night. Gareth's voice sounds even better (deeper and even more velvety) than before. He did more or less the same set-list as at Wednesbury with the addition of `All Of Me' at the beginning, which I recorded and will endeavour do get up along with a few others. Gareth spent well over an hour signing for everyone after the show and he also had signed copies of his Greatest Hits Album there for anyone to buy. I think almost everyone did. Even after him spending all that time signing, there were still a group of people waiting beside his car for him to come out after. He really is such an amazing person to support. Don't think there are many others who would be so obliging.

We met up with Linda and had a lovely catch-up. Also saw Rich Whincup from the McGuire Program with his sister. He was really lovely and very friendly as was his sister. Ann and Peter were there too and we had a nice chat with them.

We'd gotten a taxi down to the venue where we met up with Linda and she very kindly offered to drop us back afterwards. Also very kindly Peter offered us a lift back as they were staying at the same hotel. But as Linda wanted to join in with our lengthy chat after we got back we went with her and stayed up until gone 1 chatting. Poor Linda had a 2 hour journey back home after that. Hope you made it ok Linda.

We had another lovely chat with Ann & Peter at breakfast before we all headed back home. If you read this Ann please thank Peter for his offer of a lift.

Going to be doing it all again in three weeks at Oake Manor, Taunton.

Each time I go to a Gareth gig I say it is the best one but this has to be the best one. :lol:

The venue was just fantastic and like Val says Gareth's voice was better than ever. The atmosphere was so electric in this venue, if only it could be packaged?!

Gareth really enjoyed himself too. He even got Pete singing on his own for a couple of bars (think he's a better guitarist :ph34r: )

Having seen Gareth sang All of Me at a venue recently, I was desperate to hear him sing this and it certainly was as good as the original. It was the first song of the night and how lucky are we that Val recorded it too. It's lovely even though we are way back. Thanks Val.

It was lovely to meet Val, Yvonne and Linda too.

Talking Gareth in our hotel room till gone midnight must not have pleased the other residents in the hotel but I think it is really the only chance to air views, joys, concerns and generally talk about Gareth when meeting up at one of these gigs. I can certainly recommend it.

Thanks for your report Val, sounds like a great night. And so pleased they had his CD for sale at the venue, always thought they lost out on lots of sales not having it there.

Pleased that lots of people wanted signings too. :)

There were not many people, if any, that left the gig without meeting Gareth and having bought the CD etc.

Also with the CD was an advertisement for Gareth's forthcoming tour in November. Great marketing (at last).

It was lovely to meet Rich Winchcup (once again thanks to Val), who was such a lovely genuine person.

He made us laugh when he told us about Gareth, when he was going into Radio Gloucestershire recently. I hope he doesnt mind this being shared. He said Gareth arrived late :o and Rich dressed in shorts and flip flops was waiting to be Gareth's coach on the interview. As Gareth began to walk in he said he had to go back to the car.

One reason to fetch his jacket (which is admirable and professional on Gareth's part) but the second reason was to get his sunglasses. Rich said he had to remind him it was a Radio Station and no one would be seeing him. :D

Once again, it was such a great night and a great venue.

Thanks Val for putting all your videos on here. Nice to relive the evening.

I have noticed in posts, that Gareth's CD was sold and signed at the Butlins shows , so that would have sold quite a few I would think

I didn't realise this.

It's about time!

All those missed opportunities in the past.

Every artist sells merchandise in some form or other.

Looking forward to a new Gareth mug?! :whistle:

Guest NicolaJayne

Thank you Val and Chris for your lovely reports of the show, also Thank you Val for your fabulous recordings as we were all able. To share these and hear Gareth's voice at its best.

Also great that you were able to have a meet up with Linda and Ann and Peter. Always nice to chat about Gareth with other fans.

Pleased also that Gareth is at last. Promoting himself with his CD's being on sale, and agree about the missed opportunities in the past.

Sounds like it was a great venue.

There's a review in the Gloucestershire Echo. I think this may be the reporter who was sat next to Linda

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Review-Gareth-Gates-Bishop-s-Cleeve-Tithe-Barn/story-22892573-detail/story.html

Review: Gareth Gates, Bishop's Cleeve Tithe Barn

By Gloucestershire Echo | Posted: September 08, 2014

By Helen Rawlings

6872775-large.jpg

Gareth Gates

Comments (0)

The Tithe Barn in Bishops Cleeve has turned itself into a music venue with an excited crowd of predominantly females crammed into the main hall to see Gareth Gates.

It has been 13 years since Gareth was on Pop Idol and just starting his dreams of stardom.

As Gareth came onto the stage, the crowd went wild and he looked great, he had hardly aged at all, life was clearly treating him well.

He greeted Bishop’s Cleeve with his cheeky smile and started to entertain us with his acoustic set.

The stage was simple yet beautifully lit, just Gareth singing and his friend and co-writer Pete on the guitar.

For the first half we were treated to some beautiful ballads with some beautiful new songs he had written himself about love lost.

The audience couldn’t hide their excitement when he sang sclassic hits Anyone of Us and, of course, Unchained Melody.

After a quick break Gareth and Pete came back to the stage with a more up tempo selection of songs – a fantastic version of Mr Brightside and getting everyone on their feet for Summer of ’69, Suspicious Minds and Don’t Stop Me Now.

Gareth asked the crowd “Who is having fun this evening?” and by the happy looks, it looked like everyone was having a great time.

The Tithe Barn was a surprising venue really worked. The intimate setting in this beautiful old building looked stunning.

Gareth Gates proved he still has star quality and it was nice to see he was really enjoying what he does. Really nice mix of old classic covers and new self penned material. Charming guy, great singer and entertainer.

There's a review in the Gloucestershire Echo. I think this may be the reporter who was sat next to Linda

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Review-Gareth-Gates-Bishop-s-Cleeve-Tithe-Barn/story-22892573-detail/story.html

Review: Gareth Gates, Bishop's Cleeve Tithe Barn

By Gloucestershire Echo | Posted: September 08, 2014

By Helen Rawlings

6872775-large.jpg

Gareth Gates

Comments (0)

The Tithe Barn in Bishops Cleeve has turned itself into a music venue with an excited crowd of predominantly females crammed into the main hall to see Gareth Gates.

It has been 13 years since Gareth was on Pop Idol and just starting his dreams of stardom.

As Gareth came onto the stage, the crowd went wild and he looked great, he had hardly aged at all, life was clearly treating him well.

He greeted Bishop’s Cleeve with his cheeky smile and started to entertain us with his acoustic set.

The stage was simple yet beautifully lit, just Gareth singing and his friend and co-writer Pete on the guitar.

For the first half we were treated to some beautiful ballads with some beautiful new songs he had written himself about love lost.

The audience couldn’t hide their excitement when he sang sclassic hits Anyone of Us and, of course, Unchained Melody.

After a quick break Gareth and Pete came back to the stage with a more up tempo selection of songs – a fantastic version of Mr Brightside and getting everyone on their feet for Summer of ’69, Suspicious Minds and Don’t Stop Me Now.

Gareth asked the crowd “Who is having fun this evening?” and by the happy looks, it looked like everyone was having a great time.

The Tithe Barn was a surprising venue really worked. The intimate setting in this beautiful old building looked stunning.

Gareth Gates proved he still has star quality and it was nice to see he was really enjoying what he does. Really nice mix of old classic covers and new self penned material. Charming guy, great singer and entertainer.

What a truly fabulous review :jump:

I know Linda said a reporter sat next to her had been writing notes but she didn't return to the seat for the second half. She obviously went nearer the front :P!!

I love the last sentence particularly , where she says Gareth was really enjoying what he does and that is what it is all about.

Thanks Val. It was really great to read this.

Another great video Heather. Thanks.

What a great review, although it could hardly have been anything other than good - Gareth is such a brilliant performer and his voice on Friday was particularly beautiful. He also always manages to get the audience really involved, with everyone (including him and Pete) having a great time.

I do think it was written by the reporter sat next to me in the first half. From what I could see, she had written something about the venue and Gareth's history, similar to how the review starts.

Thanks for posting it on here, Val - you do such a fantastic job finding this sort of thing.

Unfortunately the link to the video doesn't work for me, Heather.