Cruise Performances 2019/2020

lindajan

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Doris for taking the time to let us know about the show. So pleased to hear that there are some new songs. I did mention in another thread that Pete is playing with Dido so he may be in rehearsals for her tour.

As long as Gareth is getting such good audiences and obviously new fans l, who can blame him for doing the cruises,🚢🌞

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from another lovely cruise,this time it was more relaxing as Britannia was cruising back to Southampton after 5 1/2 months in the Caribbean..We had a week around the Caribbean Islands,then crossed the Atlantic for 5days to Ponta Delgada then 3 days at sea to Southampton.

The morning after we arrived in Barbados I was at Breakfast picking up a Banana and at the same time  Gareth was also picking one up,I didn't realise it was him until he spoke to me. He was on his own,he gave me a hug and asked when I'd arrived,we had a conversation about the long plane journey,9hours plus 4 hours at the airport because we were delayed.I told him we were going to the Limelight club on Monday night. Saw him around the ship always on his own,he always waved or said hello.On the Monday morning at breakfast my sister said Gareth was sat by himself behind me in a corner,she said he kept looking at his phone and writing things down.

On Monday night we went to the Limelight club,the table we were given was right at the side of the venue behind a post,, so I went to the head waiter and said I wasn't sittiing there I couldn't see properly, I'd booked 6weeks before the cruise and got the worst seats, he had a waiter set another table for us in the aisle near the front.The format was the same as usual  starter and main then Gareth did 15 mins,we had a sweet and coffee then Gareth came on for 45mins.

set List.Piano- I believe I can Fly, Yesterday.

Sang-My Girl, Suspicous Minds.

2nd part -Piano- Dance with my Father,

(So in Love,Dancing in the dark, Perfect Tonight,)

True Colours,Faith,Valerie,Anyone of Us, Unchained Melody,All night Long, How am I supposed to live without you(Michael Bolton) Footloose ,Browneyed Girl,

Spirit in the Sky, Mustang Sally.

I missed Pete as I think Gareth did,Simon was his Guitarist he was a lot older, he has been on the cruise before with Gareth though.

A lady was on the floor dancing by herself,Gareth went on the floor to dance with her,he soon went back on stage as she was drunk,he then asked for someone to sing Spirit in the Sky with him she joined him on stage sang with her arms round his neck,then wouldn't get off,Gareth was laughing as she nearly fell of the stage,he said let me help you down.

After the show  Gareth came out to a long line of people wanting photographs.I waited till the end to see him,the first thing he said to me was "What did you think of the show Doris" ( A couple walked out before he was half way through) I said it was Brilliant and you only had to hear the applause and cheers at the end to know that.

I said to Gareth that I had some requests from Fans on GPG he smiled and said " go on then" I asked him not to give up Musical theatre  or gigs in the Uk as not everyone can go on a cruise,he smiled and said "I know that" I told him we were updating GPG could someone do the same with his site.Fans would also like more info when gigs are posted.(didn't get an answer)

Gareth thanked my sister for coming back,she told him laughing that he was costing her a lot of money  because i made her go,I told him not to believe her as on the plane home in January she said to me, as soon as we get home I'll book for Gareth in the Limelight club. He laughed and put his hand on his heart ,and said "Thankyou"

Some of the comments after the show when people were talking were. Brilliant as He doesn't have any music just the guitar.  The best show I've seen on this ship.    His stammer stops him from talking to much to the audience.   He is such a nice guy. 

Thank you so much Doris for your lovely report and photos from the cruise 🙂 see a couple of the songs he hadn’t done at gigs before.

Thanks for passing on messages from here about his theatre work and uk gigs, him saying I know that must hopefully mean he’d not stop that, I didn’t think he’d stop uk gigs altogether but was doubtful about theatre

Its much appreciated you sharing all this with us.

As soon as I hear someone on the ship mention GG I start to listen,there were comments about him being such a nice Guy how much they enjoyed his show and how talented he is.Also,how lovely his mum is ,I even heard one lady telling someone that when Missy was on with him and his mum last year she performed as well,they said she nearly stole the show from him.

When Gareth got off the ship in Antigua Chesney Hawkes boarded,he  travels from America where he now lives  to perform in the Limelight.

Claire Sweeny boarded in Ponta Delgada she had her little boy and mum with her.

Both Chesney Hawkes  and Claire Sweeny did a show in the main theatre called an " Audience With" where people and the entertainment manager asked them questions about their time in Show Biz. Gareth would not be able to do this.

Thanks Doris for your lovely detailed report and good for you telling the head waiter that you weren't prepared to sit in the bad seats! :thumbsup:

I'm so pleased for you that Gareth takes time to chat, it must be nice for him to know that there is someone there who is a real fan, though it does sound as though he's getting lots of new ones every time he does a show on the ship.

Once again a lovely detailed report and you make us feel like we were there!!  Glad you mentioned about the musical theatre and UK gigs to him too. I certainly don't blame you for refusing to accept the original table they gave you in the Limelight club. I would have been so upset to have received a table behind a post!!  I've a few friends now who have seen Gareth on the Britannia cruise in the Caribbean.  None of them were particularly Gareth fans, but all of them said how well he did and how the shows were very good and enjoyable. I would imagine its nice for Gareth to recognise fans and have a little chat with you too.

Thanks for a great report Dorral.

Sounds like a great holiday.

So lovely you had chance to chat with Gareth (when both of you were picking up your bananas) and good that someone is able to chat to him from the fans perspective.

Did you find out what has happened to Pete?

Great photos too. Thankyou.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NicolaJayne

Only just seen this and really enjoyed your report and pics Dorral, must be lovely to see Gareth on a cruise in such a relaxed atmosphere , very envious, thanks for sharing it on here, it is very much appreciated. You did the right thing to complain about the rubbish seats, especially as you had prebooked. Also well done for letting him know that we want to see him in musical theatre and that we are missing him.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I realised too late that I should have indicated when Gareth was on the ships by putting the places in bold. He's having a very busy time at the moment. He's been on Britannia for part of 2 cruises and all of a third (only a short one of 2 nights), then straight from there to join Sapphire Princess for a few days, this time not even touching down in the UK. He should be flying back from Halifax, Nova Scois (Canada) on Tuesday (1st Oct), then he's doing several gigs around the UK for a change.

Sapphire Princess is American side of P&O.so is on it's way back to do the American cruises over the winter.

Britannia is going in for a refit at  the beginning of October,then she will be off to the Caribbean for 6 months.Gareth will be back to his 9 hour flights again till the end of the year.

I will know at the end of October from my cruise personaliser whether Gareth is in the Limelight club on my Caribbean cruise in January. 

P&O have a new ship called IONA (5,600) passengers launching in May 2020,Gareth has been asked by the cruise entertainment manager to perform on her.(Don't know whether he is)

20 hours ago, lindajan said:

I realised too late that I should have indicated when Gareth was on the ships by putting the places in bold. He's having a very busy time at the moment. He's been on Britannia for part of 2 cruises and all of a third (only a short one of 2 nights), then straight from there to join Sapphire Princess for a few days, this time not even touching down in the UK. He should be flying back from Halifax, Nova Scois (Canada) on Tuesday (1st Oct), then he's doing several gigs around the UK for a change.

We are more than grateful for all the information you have shared with us, enabling everyone to know whereabouts in the world Gareth is.

It does seem like he has been away for a long time.

10 hours ago, dorral said:

Sapphire Princess is American side of P&O.so is on it's way back to do the American cruises over the winter.

Britannia is going in for a refit at  the beginning of October,then she will be off to the Caribbean for 6 months.Gareth will be back to his 9 hour flights again till the end of the year.

I will know at the end of October from my cruise personaliser whether Gareth is in the Limelight club on my Caribbean cruise in January. 

P&O have a new ship called IONA (5,600) passengers launching in May 2020,Gareth has been asked by the cruise entertainment manager to perform on her.(Don't know whether he is)

How lucky are we to have someone who has been on the ships and is able to tell us about them.

Hopefully Gareth will be on your ship in January.

Oh wow that's quite an honour to be asked to perform on a new ship. Good for him if he does.

• 4 weeks later...

Britannia has arrived back in Southampton after her refurbishment . She goes  on a 2 nght cruise to Bruge later today, then on Friday she is off to the Caribbean for the winter.

I go  January 18th to 1st February Gareth will be performing in the Limelight club 23rd to 27th January.Will be booking before we go,can't risk waiting and it being sold out,just hope he sings some new songs.

This is how  the Atrium looks now

Atrium.jpg