New Photo from ggates

Val4Gareth

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Shellcool, waves! nice to see you posting.

.  For many, if they don't see for themselves some striking, memorable photos of Gareth looking all grown-up and manly, they will instead assume he's still a little kid and visualise him like that, and judge his new music in that light.

This point you made Snowdrop is how I see it, re the calander.

If he had done a normal posse or indifferant picture, there would not have been a stir from all quarters, so they have actieved what they set out to do.

But I agree, we don't want this image focused on his album, as it should be about the music.

Good grief!  Are they feeling OK over there????  I swear we never had this many updates when he was around!  But good on them and huge thanks  :)

I've done screen caps of the relevant bits:

First up, the 'News':

News.jpg

The new pic:

e4e97128.jpg

And at 150%:

92b87fd2.jpg

And, finally, a slightly larger version of the calendar cover :)

Frontcover2.jpg

which will be replacing the smaller version, tiled, on my desktop as soon as I click 'Add Reply';)  :D

Thanks, maggiemags i think, this pics is gorgeous !!!! i will much more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good grief!  Are they feeling OK over there????  I swear we never had this many updates when he was around!  But good on them and huge thanks  :)

I've done screen caps of the relevant bits:

First up, the 'News':

News.jpg

The new pic:

e4e97128.jpg

And at 150%:

92b87fd2.jpg

And, finally, a slightly larger version of the calendar cover :)

Frontcover2.jpg

which will be replacing the smaller version, tiled, on my desktop as soon as I click 'Add Reply';)  :D

Thanks Maggiemags for sharing these great pictures of sweet and sexy Gareth with the rest of us. He looks absolutely, positively, undoubtly, indubitably, unquestionalbly, undeniably, totally, completely beautiful. Love from sweetpromise.

Been thinking about this some more.....

It has been suggested that the current 'look' of Gareth will make some people take notice of him who perhaps hadn't done so before, or even those who had, it might remind them how lovely he was and still is! but what about that huge category of people who are not influenced by appearance? Aren't these some of the people who are buying the James Blunt album in shedloads? It might even be the case, that for Gareth to really connect with some people, he must be seen not to really care two hoots about his appearance, but just be his natural gorgeous self. I think I'm saying, that perhaps he can't be seen to appear even slightly vain. To me the first calendar pic. screams...'Look at me, I'm a hunk' This time round, he's got to appeal to that category of people which he missed last time round. After all, whose steps do we want him to folow in? Peter Andre or James Blunt?

It's a difficult one. He's got to be himself.

Been thinking about this some more.....

It has been suggested that the current 'look' of Gareth will make some people take notice of him who perhaps hadn't done so before, or even those who had, it might remind them how lovely he was and still is! but what about that huge category of people who are not influenced by appearance? Aren't these some of the people  who are buying the James Blunt album in shedloads? It might even be the case, that for Gareth to really connect with some people, he must be seen not to really care two hoots about his appearance, but just be his natural gorgeous self. I think I'm saying, that perhaps he can't be seen to appear even slightly vain. To me the first calendar pic. screams...'Look at me, I'm a hunk' This time round, he's got to appeal to that category of people which he missed last time round. After all, whose steps do we want him to folow in? Peter Andre or James Blunt?

It's a difficult one. He's got to be himself.

I can see where you are comming from shellcool, but to me the second pic of Gareth is him being himself :D to me the first pic ( naked torso mmm) is very much look at me i am all grown up now so its ok for you to like me because i am no longer a teeny heart throb .

I showed this picture to a friend of mine at work today ( i have it as a screen saver on my phone :D ) now she likes Gareth and thinks he is a wonderful performer, she has both albums and all his singles , but unlike me, she dosent have internet access, so she remembers Gareth as the cute boy he was two years ago :)

She said to me, wow!! he is gorgeous who is that? I laughed and said, who do i always have on my phone?, to which she replied, that is no way Gareth :o that is a man , after assuring her that it was indeed Gareth she said well i wont be afraid to ask for his album anymore and i am certainly going to buy that calender :D

As for James Blunt i believe it took a topless video of him singing Your Beautiful to to get him into peoples minds or was it because he is committing suicide? not sure which lol but being topless in his video didnt do him any harm now did it?

I of course would love Gareth to have the acclaim that James Blunt has, and for his album to sell as well as his .

Maybe it will, who knows, the only thing i am certain of is that this time around Gareths music will be just that, Gareths music, and he will sink or swim because of that. But to tell you the truth, i cant wait to hear it , everytime i think about it, i get so excited at the thought of listening to it for the first time . If in the meantime we have to endure a few topless pictures of him then so be it :o such a chore not :D

As for Peter Aundre he might look good :rolleyes: but i am not sure i like his voice anyway and no matter how good looking he was i wouldnt buy his album

Thanks mrdreamboat and Mums The Word. You've both made me feel better with your reassuring comments.Yes it's alright for Gareth to show his body from time to time and he will still be taken seriously. Afterall, look at David Beckham! His footballing skills are discussed as much as his looks.

Even so, I do think this time round, it would be better if there was less emphasis on Gareth's looks, and more on his music. For instance, the album cover, for me should not be a posed shot of Gareth, and no booklet of pictures of Gareth inside. It has to be Gareth doing nothing in particular, but not looking at the camera. The video too for the first single will be all important. I have to admit that I remember 'Beautful' for the song, not the video, but then I don't get the music channels. :excl:

I also have to say re James Blunt that it was his video which put him in peoples mind, sitting there in the cold being topless. And I really like the melody and sound of his song, but have to say, having listend to it more often and actually taking in the lyrics, they are pretty rubbish.

And that is not just my opinion either.

He made it big because of the way he has been promoted and that the radio was behind his song from the start.

I recently saw his next video and so far I am not impressed, but probably have to see and hear it more often.

Re Gareth, his calendar is now and it shows he has grown up. When he will make his return I am pretty sure it will be about the music, he will give interviews and be able to tell people all about his writing and his love of music.

I am really looking forward to hearing what he comes up with. :D

I can see where you are coming from with not wanting people to think that Gareth is a model who does a bit of singing on the side, but the sad fact is that ever since Gareth started, people have believed that of him anyway. Gareth did some photo-shoots with him playing piano or with a guitar, but they were hardly used and people were still willing to believe he was miming them on tourl :blink:

Unfortunately, the majority of the population think of him as some stupid kid who spends hours on his hair and then does exactly what he's told blah, blah, blah. The infamous "they" have thought of him as some teen-idol looking 'safe' and asexual for the kiddies and have simply assumed that Gareth is for kids and many of those people think this means that it's not suitable for them.

I've always felt that in Gareth's first year he did too many cover-shoots and his management should have used the time saved from a handful of those to a bit more text within the magazines, but it's happened now, and there is a very strong image of him already out there and it's going to take strong images and/or a powerful campaign to get people to change their minds. From looking around the internet I can see that a lot of people who dismissed Gareth in the past are taking notice, and perhaps it is for the wrong reasons, but when it comes to releasing his album, those people are now far more likely to give him a chance. Gareth needs those people to give him a chance when he returns.

James Blunt is selling very well, and he is being taken a lot more seriously than Gareth despite a topless video, but James Blunt is no where near as attractive as Gareth, which means that a lot of people will automatically assume he must be more talented. Will has done a lot more topless photo and video shoots than Gareth, and yet Gareth was still the one considered to be all about image, and I think the key difference is that Will and the rest of the popstars who do sexy shots have also talked a lot more about the music, and I think that is the key. Gareth will have that next time. I also think that just because people love music, doesn't mean they can't appreciate some attractive photos, and I'd say I'm one of those people. I can't wait to hear Gareth's next album, but it's not here yet, and so I'm going to make the most of the calendar.

I have to admit that when I first saw the topless shot, I did worry that the message sent out by a topless shot was all wrong, but it isn't even a straight-forward topless shot. It's very stylised making effective use of light and shadow still leaving quite a lot to the imagination. I know this will sound a bit naff, but a shot like that is far more interesting and artistic than a straight-forward torso shot that you would expect to from Ben in the Hollyoaks Hunks calendar. If it had been a straight-forward torso shot I'm sure there would be many, many women still swooning, but it wouldn't have been so striking. Luckily for the swooning ladies, it wouldn't have been so striking if he was wearing a t-shirt either. :wub:

I do think things will and should be different when it comes to promoting the album, but that's still several months away, and if Gareth can shake-up his image a bit now, it won't prevent it from being honed more appropriately when the time is right. I am a believer that the album cover should be a more natural shot, but it should still be striking, which appears to be my word of the month. :unsure:

The cover for GYOW was all wrong for that. I think they were trying to make him look more mature, but in the end it just looked like someone trying too hard to look more mature and in photographic terms I thought it was rubbish. I wonder if someone thought that grey = class and sophistication, but it = dull to me, and whatever you are trying to say with your album cover, it shouldn't be dull. It was bland, and most people probably didn't even get the chance to see if he was looking more grown-up, because from a distance the cover sleeve looked like grey shelving.

Any initial concerns I had about Gareth's credibility regarding a topless shot melted away pretty quickly when I saw how people were reacting. That's people who had ruled themselves out from being fans because they didn't like the old image, or fans who thought they'd out-grown him getting excited, or even just seeing how hard-core fans who have been through the mill have been made very, very happy. :D At the end of the day, popstar calendars are just a bit of fun for the fans, and by the look of things, this calendar will fulfill that function very nicely. :wub: :wub:

the key difference is that Will and the rest of the popstars who do sexy shots have also talked a lot more about the music, and I think that is the key.  Gareth will have that next time. 

He will, especially now his speech is so much better, he'll be given more chances, and he'll feel far more comfortable taking up those opportunities than he ever did before.

I have to admit that when I first saw the topless shot, I did worry that the message sent out by a topless shot was all wrong,

I agree - my first concern was that people would think he's trying too hard - and while I wouldn't be to surprised if that's the case with some people, there are going to be an awful lot of people who do sit up and are more prepared to give him another chance, because they'll forget the 'little kid who sang covers' and recognise that actually, he's not half bad looking (something we knew all along ;))

in photographic terms I thought it was rubbish.  I wonder if someone thought that grey = class and sophistication, but it = dull to me.  It was bland, and most people probably didn't even get the chance to see if he was looking more grown-up, because from a distance the cover sleeve looked like grey shelving.

Completely agree with that too. I never really liked that shot - he's pouting too much! Haha, but no, on a serious note, it didn't attract people and did look pretty boring. I'm praying they use a different type of image for the cover - after all, it's going to have as much impact as everything else taken into account, and for this to work, every single detail needs to be carefully thought through (which it seems 19 & BMG are doing, by the look of the pics so far).

So far, everything appears to be falling into place though, and I for one can't wait to see some proper promotion and see some reactions from all those who may have 'gone off him' or got bored with waiting. It's going to be fantastic. :D

Actually Khelda I think what put James Blunt into people's minds were the Radio stations. Apparently, and I think I'm right in saying this, his album had been out for months with no-one taking much notice of it until the Radio DJ's started promoting him constantly. Plus he had the backing of Elton John I think. Whatever it was it certainly worked for him. If only Gareth could get that sort of support instead of all the negative stuff he's had to contend with before.

As for the album cover, I think maybe 19 have issued two totally different photos of Gareth, because they want to see the reaction to each of them. I think there is certainly more thought going into what's best for Gareth now, than there was after Pop Idol, when they cashed in on his popularity and he was used as a pawn to make money for the company.

As for the album cover, I think maybe 19 have issued two totally different photos of Gareth, because they want to see the reaction to each of them. I think there is certainly more thought going into what's best for Gareth now, than there was after Pop Idol, when they cashed in on his popularity and he was used as a pawn to make money for the company.

If 19 do want to see what the reaction is to both of the pics. then I have to say that I think the first topless shot is a bit of a con. I just showed it to someome who hadn't seen Gareth for a long time and they couldn't quite believe it was actually him. The lighting is such that it hides his face a bit. The second pic. shows much less of a change, but a bit more maturity, and still the Gareth we all know and love, with his personality showing through. Who is the other one?

I suppose if I'm honest, I don't like the first pic. I think it sends out the wrong message and is even a bit deceptive. Still as others have already said, it's only a calendar.

Poor Gareth, it seems he cant win. We all were very excited that it was posted that he was seen down the gym. We all wondered how his body was shaping up. Now we've seen it and at the start of these threads a lot of us were gobsmacked. Yes as a "golden oldie" I felt that funny flush we get. Now it seems the tide is turning against the topless shot. It is a beautiful picture of a beautiful man. Not a thing to do with his music. It will be on sale long before his music is, and I for one hope it brings him to the attention of people who have overlooked him in the past, as the stammering boy from Pop Idol. GO GARETH GO. :wub::wub::wub:

Poor Gareth, it seems he cant win. We all were very excited that it was posted that he was seen down the gym. We all wondered how his body was shaping up. Now we've seen it and at the start of these threads a lot of us were gobsmacked. Yes as a "golden oldie" I felt that funny flush we get. Now it seems the tide is turning against the topless shot.

I'm not sure that the tide really is turning. I think it's mainly me, and it's only one opinion.

I'd just like to add that I think it's great that Gareth's keeping himself so fit and toned. I just didn't want that to detract from his music, if you see what I mean. I think today, that it is kind of fashionable to be scruffy/unkempt and maybe not even that good looking. I think that if Gareth had been around in the 70's when I was a teenager, he'd have been idolised for years. I still think he can be successful in this day and age, but I think it has to be handled carefully by his management.

Yes, Shell Cool I agree with a lot you say, but at the GYOW tour Gareth had the scruffy look. Ripped jeans, a load of tops on and a heavy jacket. Dont know how he performed in it all. Personally I didn't like it as he was so clean cut on Pop Idol, but I thought "the young ones love it ". He tried that look and it didn't work. It didn't detract from his music as far as I was concerned, then the album didn't sell so well. It is a no win situation, presentation mean different things to different people. I have posted quite a few times Gareth could sing the telephone directory in a cupboard under the stairs, as long as he sings, to that I will now add, topless, bottomless, clothes on or off, as long as he sings.

20.gif

Poor Gareth, it seems he cant win. We all were very excited that it was posted that he was seen down the gym. We all wondered how his body was shaping up. Now we've seen it and at the start of these threads a lot of us were gobsmacked. Yes as a "golden oldie" I felt that funny flush we get. Now it seems the tide is turning against the topless shot. It is a beautiful picture of a beautiful man. Not a thing to do with his music. It will be on sale long before his music is, and I for one hope it brings him to the attention of people who have overlooked him in the past, as the stammering boy from Pop Idol. GO GARETH GO. :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I agree with what you are saying Mary,I have read this thread and was not going to reply as I feel really disappointed.

Life goes on everybody changes,I think the pictures released are beautiful,but they are to get him noticed and sell his calendar not his music. :D:wub:

I have every faith in Gareth and his management that when the time is right,they will promote Gareth and his Music,I think both have learned lesson's from the past,they won't make the same mistake again, it will be music, music, music.I have built a picture in my mind of how he is going to be promoted and that will keep me happy until he returns.

After PI everybody knew that Gareth was very talented,it was SC choice of songs and Gareth not being allowed to show his intrumental ability that lost him his credability. I have seen 4 articles today that has shown me the tide is turning against SC and people are showing concern for the artists he uses.Gareth having split from SC to follow his own musical path will I'm sure gain him the recognition he deserves. :D

This is the longest post I have ever made,I have so many more thoughts about the surprise in his future comeback and all of them make me contented and happy to wait. :D

As you say Mary *Go Gareth Go* You show them.

Dorisxx