Angel on My Shoulder will be new single

Snowdrop

Angel on my shoulder sounded absolutely fantastic sang live (with good old Pete), and its a good choice, it will sell the album I am sure.

Great news too, they are not waiting too long, keeping the momentum up, but I better not miss any promo end of May when I am in Germany. :D

That's great news. The right choice I think. And not too long to wait now :hyper:

I'm off to try to catch up on watching Popworld and JR now. Hope its on here somewhere as I set my video for JR and them left th Sky on the wrong channel :shocked:

Thanks for the text Khelda :smile:

Guest GarethsHotChick

Gareth sounded BEAUTIFUL singing AOM today, I thought Pete was GREAT too and they seemed to do well together. CAN'T WAIT for it and Gareth's album to be released. :frantics:

I hope we get to see him on tour soon, There's nothing better than a live performance and it would be BRILLIANT promotion for Gareth because I'm sure plenty of people would want to see him. :D

Gareth was great, and Jonathon was good when he interviewd him. He obviously likes Gareth, and called him very talented. I think Gareth also said that the album is out in June too, didn't he?

I think I'm pleased with this choice! I do like AOMS. Sadly I was unable to catch the interview and performance on JR earlier. I hope Radio 2 will continue to support this record for a while longer.

So much for my prediction of 19 being the next single! I would expect a more upbeat song as the 3rd single. So maybe 19 will be the 4th,lol.

Then later he said July, so I'm guessing it's still a bit fluid. Late June/early July. :D

I'm just uploading the interview to our server so you can download it an listen to it on your own media player. I don't know about anyone else, but brilliant as YouTube is, it's always stopping and starting, which gets frustrating.

You can also listen to it in full, with the bits before and after (including Jonathon telling his later guest that he was good looking, but not as good looking as Gareth!!! :laugh: ) if you go to Jonathon's page on the Radio 2 website.

Then later he said July, so I'm guessing it's still a bit fluid. Late June/early July. :D

I'm just uploading the interview to our server so you can download it an listen to it on your own media player. I don't know about anyone else, but brilliant as YouTube is, it's always stopping and starting, which gets frustrating.

You can also listen to it in full, with the bits before and after (including Jonathon telling his later guest that he was good looking, but not as good looking as Gareth!!! :laugh: ) if you go to Jonathon's page on the Radio 2 website.

Yes I wasn't sure whether he said June or July. It sounds as if they're not sure themselves yet. Something new to look forward to, and one thing I did catch is Gareth saying that his comeback can't be based on one single, or words to that effect. I'd have to listen to it again to remember properly, but it means to me that he is not expecting Changes to go straight to the top of the charts.

Puppygates - SBG has put it on Youtube in 2 parts

and

Enjoy it, Its fab.

Thanks Floz for the links. I've just listened and did enjoy the interview. Listening to AOMS with my next single ears on, (!) I'm sure it's a good choice. It's a lovely song with a positive message for a ballad and is good to sing along to,making it radio friendly imo.

I think I'm pleased with this choice! I do like AOMS......... So much for my prediction of 19 being the next single! I would expect a more upbeat song as the 3rd single. So maybe 19 will be the 4th,lol.

I know just how you feel Puppygates because that's what I was thinking as well about 19 being the next single. Surely the third single has to be Lost In You or Pictures??

I like AOMS too but I'm not sure it's the right song to connect with the listeners Gareth is not reaching with Changes. I understand that Gareth/19 feel that it should be a gradual change towards a new style of music - but I fear that this choice, lovely though it is, could be thought of as too sentimental. I remember cringing inwardly years ago when The Spice Girls did that song about Mum's even though it was quite a good song. I don't think it's going to do much for his image with the 18 -30 audience which is surely the one he is trying to reach??

I can see what you're saying about the image to 18-30 year olds, but Gareth has said although he wrote the song for his Mum, it could be talking about a partner or someone else in your life who was there for you when you needed someone.

I think it will depend on the video for the single. If they portray a different aspect rather than the Mum thing in the video, then I think it will connect with the public. As for the song itself, there are no problems there, its already become a huge hit with everyone. Even people who have never liked Gareth previously.

That's funny, because I think 19 Minutes is an "older" song than Angel on My Shoulder, but overall I think AOMS will have more universal appeal. I consider 19 Minutes to be the most similar to Changes in terms of sentiment and musical vibe from the songs we've heard, so I'm glad they went for something "different", but I suppose we all have different perspectives on it all.

Very loosely speaking, my take on the music is that Changes, and 19 Minutes are dark, sad songs, that require a lot of thought, whereas Angel on My Shoulder has a very uplifting vibe and it feels very warm. Gareth may have thought of his mum when writing the song, but he made it clear on Jonathon Ross that it can be about any significant person in your life, such as a partner or friend who is there for you. The lyrics are non-specific enough that individuals should be able to relate them to the relevant person in their own life and I don't think that needs to limit the appeal. Supposedly Robbie William's "Angels" is all about his dead Aunt!

I think some of us had reservations early on about Gareth releasing a song about his mum, because that might not be seen as all that cool, but the song doesn't need to be sold on that basis. I am sure that they will ensure the video will be planned to encourage viewers to draw the perspective that suits them best. At the end of the day, all songs will have some draw-backs, but we know Angel on My Shoulder has had good feedback from the media, and media support is the best way to extend beyond the core fan-base.

My other main reason for being delighted that AOMS is the next single is that of all the songs I've heard Gareth perform, this seems to be the one that suits his voice best, or at least brings out all of the fabulous qualities that I adore in his voice. :wub:

I think there will be lots of opportunities for his to perform it acoustically - which is how I love it the most.

19 minutes would have been too similar to Changes for me to release next (though it gives me goosebumps) and maybe Lost in You too different. But I would bet that part of the decision has been based on the very positive feedback he will have had from his live performnaces of it, and radio 2's clear love of it

I think this will fare muce better than changes - in terms of airplay, TV video play etc (assuming the video is good) etc - and hopefully in terms of chart position.

It could also be a better track to re-launch him abroad.

It wasn't just Radio 2 that loved it. Joe Mott of The Star made a point of saying it should be a single and would be a massive hit for Gareth. He can be a bit of an idiot sometimes, but I'm sure he was giving his honest opinion, based on his experiences of the industry.

I agree about the abroad thing too, which they must be considering.