News in from Bristol

Snowdrop

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou footygirl for your great pictures.They show what a huge crowd were there just for Gareth.

The atmosphere must have been terrific. I hope he sold at least as many albums as there were people in the crowd.

Your report Khelda gives a super description of everything that happened and it is especially great to know what Gareth's PA said about everything being fantastic for him.

Guest GarethsHotChick

Thank You Everyone for all the lovely and GREAT reports and also pictures and videos, It sounds like Gareth went down really well with the crowd in Bristol yesterday. I am SO glad some of you even got to meet him for the first time. :smile:

I will try to make this post a bit different from the others you have already read. I left home at 7am yesterday, picking up Amy and Elaine on the way, and drove through torrential rain to Bristol. We played POTOS all the way, detremined not to let the rain get us down.

We arrived at midday, and waited at the staff entrance until Gareth arrived about 3-30 I think, where we met other Gareth fans, including a lday from Swansea. We also chatted to the security men, who spoke highly of Gareth as one the nicest stars to work with. We asked if ther could be photos today, and Bob said Maybe.

When Gareth arrived, we waved and cheered, and he said " HI guys" and we asked about his throat, and he said it was rubbish. When we went round to watch him perform we were amazed at the amount of people. Later Asda security lady told us that it was doulbe the amount they had been expecting, she reckoned about 450 people.

Gareth was great although a trifle husky when he spoke. We had been told there would only be 3 songs, but the crowd gave him such a rapturous reception, and someone called out Spirit in the Sky, so he said " Ok, because you're the best audience", so he sang it, and then got us to sing too, just like he had at Hyde Park. The atmosphere was wonderful, girls screaming I love you ( not me, honest!) cheers for him every time he went over the bridge before he performed, and someone fainted. It was hot, and so many people pressed together, no wonder!

We queued for the signing, and Gareth had his pic taken with everyone. When he put his arm round me I noticed how tired his eyes were, but he masked it with that beautiful smile.

We bought him a birthday card as the Asda security lady, who was obviously a Gareth fan was enthusing to us how great it had gone, it had been good for Asda too, loads of albums sold, and twice as many people as they had expected to come. She said we could take the card quickly up to Gareth, but sadly by the time we had chosen and written it he had finished, and we just managed to give it to him in passing. He thanked us, that lovely smile again that makes your day, and then we went outside with all the others to say good bye to him.

The only sad note I must add is that there was a small group of nasty little 13 year old girls outside who boohed him, and screamed nasty comments. I'm not sure Gareth heard because he was in the van, i was very angry, and said loudly. " I wish they would go away."

In conclusion I must say that having been lucky enought to see Gareth perform live 3 times lately, it seems to me that to keep this album going he must do a tour. It doesn't matter how small the venue because on stage he becomes alive, and wins people over, non fans I mean. It's what he does best, and I hope 19 realise that Gareth can sell himself if given the chance. I do hope that now the single and album are out that he doesn't disappear into the mist for another 3 months or so.

Incidentally, i got lost driving home, some 250 miles each way, and I eventually arrived home at 2am, but do you know, for Gareth I would willingly do it all again!

What a fantastic report Carol. It was a great day and it was good to see you again :smile:

I totally agree with you about the the tour and Gareth keeping up the mementum.

Lovely report, thank you and thanks for all the great reports everybody. It was great to see how many people went yesterday and supported him.

Guest GarethsHotChick

Thank You for your wonderful report Carol, I am really pleased you got to see Gareth yesterday in Bristol and met him again. It sounds like there was a good turn out to see him which I am really happy about.

Lets hope he does do a tour soon, Then we can all see him and hear his new songs live as there is nothing better than a live performance. :smile:

Thank You for your wonderful report Carol, I am really pleased you got to see Gareth yesterday in Bristol and met him again. It sounds like there was a good turn out to see him which I am really happy about.

Lets hope he does do a tour soon, Then we can all see him and hear his new songs live as there is nothing better than a live performance. :smile:

totally agree. I hope he tours again soon. I told my friend (Who I only discovered liked Gareth the day before I met him!) that if he tours I'll take her with me. :D

I'm finally home(I'm not that slow a driver, I just stopped off on the way).

There's not a lot I can add to these brilliant reports except to say the day was fantastic. It was so exciting to sit in the restaurant/cafe(at the front of the shop) and wonder who was coming in to see Gareth. People began to 'hang around' not quite knowing where to go or what to do. The only evidence to show they there were to see Gareth too, was the all important CD in hand.

Finally bravely vacating our seats to get our place to see Gareth's performance (I the 'eternal' worrier )wondered how many people had actually waited to see him, particularly after the delays. I really couldn't believe how many people were there. Well done Bristol.

Due to the great organisation of Footygirl and the Asda staff, everything went off very well. Gareth's performance and his reception was fantastic. Everyone loved him.(Thankyou Footygirl for taking the trouble of posting the photos of the crowd).

As with all these events it's the people in the crowd next to you swapping storiesthat makes these days so special. One chap on his own behind us was an avid fan although had never seen Gareth at any of the tours. One lady with her three boys(each individually clutching their CDs to be signed) spoke of her love and admiration for Gareth, remarking how good looking he is and can't begin to imagine how even better looking he will be in his thirties :blush: .There was another girl who was an avid fan who never ever posts on the boards but who always logs in just to see where Gareth will be next. All tales of love, admiration support (and of course dedication) for Gareth. All heartening in their own way(Oh and the guy that came over to the queue asking if all these people were waiting to meet Gareth, not believing what he was seeing).

Well I have spent two consecutive Saturdays in two different locations. One a 'Rock Chic' In Hyde Park with The Feeling and Crowded House and the other in Asda with the shoppers on a Saturday afternoon. Two entirely different performances but both equally well received by all who got to watch Gareth. Which did I think best? Both :hyper:

Gareth is getting out there and the public are rediscovering him. Keep on 'getting out there' Gareth and all will be OK.

Thanks to the special people with whom I have spent two great Saturdays. Hopefully see you at a tour/gig/somewhere soon.

The only sad note I must add is that there was a small group of nasty little 13 year old girls outside who boohed him, and screamed nasty comments. I'm not sure Gareth heard because he was in the van, i was very angry, and said loudly. " I wish they would go away
The girls were aiming their boos at Gareth's security. They had been very strict with how many should see Gareth at one particular time and for some reason the girls didn't want to comply with the rules. They were unhappy with not having their own way.
Incidentally, i got lost driving home, some 250 miles each way, and I eventually arrived home at 2am, but do you know, for Gareth I would willingly do it all again!

Oh dear -what everyone is prepared to do for this guy??

The girls were aiming their boos at Gareth's security. They had been very strict with how many should see Gareth at one particular time and for some reason the girls didn't want to compy with the rules. They were unhappy with not having their own way.

Oh dear -what everyone is prepared to do for this guy??

I'm so glad you explained about those girls.

Thanks for you report Carol, I'm glad everyone had such a good time and such a big turn out for Gareth . There is a pic of the crowds and a small video in the other Bristol post :smile:

Thanks very much Heather. Yes, I have spotted my self in the pic. I have a blue coat over my arm, and Elaine is busy chatting to the man next to us.