Gareth as Marius in Les Mis International tour

Floz

We'd discussed the rumours here but now all officially confirmed on the OS. Edits ....Thanks Garethsohot for posting also. I think we must have done so at the same moment! - threads now merged.

JOHN OWEN JONES TO STAR AS ‘JEAN VALJEAN’,

EARL CARPENTER AS ‘JAVERT’ AND GARETH GATES AS ‘MARIUS’

IN CAMERON MACKINTOSH’S

EXCITING NEW 25TH ANNIVERSARY PRODUCTION OF

THE WORLD’S LONGEST RUNNING MUSICAL

“LES MISÉRABLES”

EMBARKING ON A MAJOR INTERNATIONAL TOUR

COMMENCING IN THE UK

AT THE WALES MILLENNIUM CENTRE CARDIFF

ON 11 DECEMBER 2009

Cameron Mackintosh is delighted to announce that John Owen Jones will star as ‘Jean Valjean’, Earl Carpenter as ‘Javert’ and Gareth Gates as ‘Marius’ in the exciting new 25th anniversary production of the World’s Longest Running Musical “LES MISÉRABLES,”. The production will have spectacular new designs inspired by the paintings of Victor Hugo and will embark on a major international tour commencing in the UK at the WALES MILLENNIUM CENTRE CARDIFF on 11 December 2009 where it recently went on sale, breaking all box office records in the theatre’s history! Current tour schedule attached.

Broadway and West End star John Owen Jones was recently hailed by the New York Post as the best Jean Valjean since Colm Wilkinson. As well as starring in “Les Misérables” in both the West End and on Broadway he has also appeared as ‘The Phantom’ in “The Phantom of the Opera” at Her Majesty’s Theatre. Earl Carpenter who is currently playing ‘Javert’ in the West End production of “Les Misérables” has also starred as ‘The Phantom’ in West End as well as the starring role of ‘Darryl Van Horne’ in “The Witches of Eastwick” at the Prince of Wales Theatre. Gareth Gates needs no introduction. A multi million selling popstar who still has the 2nd best selling single this decade. More recently he has played the title role of ‘Joseph’ in “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” at the West End’s Adelphi Theatre and was a semi finalist in ‘Dancing on Ice’ 2008.

The magnificent score of “LES MISÉRABLES” includes the songs, ‘I Dreamed a Dream’ (currently the world’s most popular song!), ‘On My Own’, ‘Stars’, ‘Bring Him Home’, ‘Do You Hear the People Sing’, ‘One Day More’, ‘Empty Chairs at Empty Tables’, ‘Master Of The House’ and many more.

“LES MISÉRABLES” originally opened in London at the Barbican Theatre on 8 October 1985, transferred to the Palace Theatre on 4 December 1985 and moved to its current home at the Queen’s Theatre on 3 April 2004 where it continues to play to packed houses. When “LES MISÉRABLES” celebrated its 21st London birthday on 8 October 2006, it became the World’s Longest Running Musical, surpassing the record previously held by “Cats” in London’s West End.

Seen by over 56 million people worldwide in 42 countries and in 21 languages, “LES MISÉRABLES” is undisputedly one of the world’s most popular musicals ever written, with new productions continually opening around the globe. There have been 34 cast recordings of “LES MISÉRABLES”, including the multi-platinum London cast recording and the Grammy Award-winning Broadway cast and complete symphonic albums. The video of the 10th Anniversary Royal Albert Hall Gala Concert has sold nearly two million copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling musical videos ever in the UK. There are over 2,000 productions of the Les Misérables School’s Edition scheduled or being performed by over 100,000 school children in the UK, US and Australia, making it the most successful musical ever produced in schools.

Cameron Mackintosh’s production of “LES MISÉRABLES” is written by Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schönberg and is based on the novel by Victor Hugo. It has music by Claude-Michel Schönberg, lyrics by Herbert Kretzmer and original French text by Alain Boublil and Jean-Marc Natel and additional material by James Fenton. The original London production of “LES MISÉRABLES” was adapted and directed by Trevor Nunn and John Caird.

This new production will be directed by Laurence Connor and James Powell and designed by Matt Kinley inspired by the works of Victor Hugo and John Napier. Original costumes by Andreane Neofitou, lighting by Paule Constable and sound by Mick Potter.

Ends

For further press information please contact Simon Raw on

01625 573906/07818 444 115 or email simon@rawpr.co.uk

LES MISÉRABLES

International Tour 2009/2010

http://www.lesmis.com

11 December 2009 – 16 January 2010

WALES MILLENNIUM CENTRE CARDIFF

Box Office – 08700 40 2000

Tickets on sale now

http://www.wmc.org.uk

19 January – 13 February 2010

MANCHESTER PALACE THEATRE

Box Office – 0844 847 2403

Tickets on sale 24 July

http://www.palaceandoperahouse.org.uk

16 February – 20 March 2010

NORWICH THEATRE ROYAL

Box Office – 01603 63 0000

Tickets on sale now

http://www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk

23 March – 17 April 2010

BIRMINGHAM HIPPODROME

Box Office – 0844 338 5000

Tickets on sale 3 August

http://www.birminghamhippodrome.com

20 April – 15 May 2010

EDINBURGH PLAYHOUSE

Box Office – 0844 847 1660

Tickets on sale 20 July

http://www.edinburghplayhouse.org.uk

26 May – 4 July 2010

PARIS

THE CHATELET

Box Office - +33 (0)1 40 28 28 40

Tickets on sale now

http://www.chatelet-theatre.com

FURTHER VENUES TO BE ANNOUNCED

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic news,Gareth will be fantastic.Thanks Floz,its great to have it confirmed. :frantics:

What fantastic news - I adore Les Mis and what a wonderful part for Gareth What a great achievement to be given the part. :hyper:

Gareths So Hot.

It looks as if you and Floz posted this great news at the same time.

So as not to avoid confusion I will lock this one.

Thanks for being so on the ball and bringing the news over onto GPG so quickly.

Exciting times ahead :frantics: .

Fantastic,exciting news!!!

It's about 10 years since I first heard Gareth sing.He was 15 and I knew immediately that he had the voice for the difficult music.Not only for pop songs.

This is a huge,exciting step in what will be a long and wonderful career for Gareth.He will be doing what he loves best.Performing to live audiences and touring where he will be seen and heard by many,many people who probably haven't heard him recently. They'll see wonderful talented performances from him.

I'm just sad that I won't be able to see him as he won't be appearing in a theatre near me.

Interesting to see which shows are on sale already now.

11 December 2009 – 16 January 2010

WALES MILLENNIUM CENTRE CARDIFF

Box Office – 08700 40 2000

Tickets on sale now

http://www.wmc.org.uk

16 February – 20 March 2010

NORWICH THEATRE ROYAL

Box Office – 01603 63 0000

Tickets on sale now

http://www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk

26 May – 4 July 2010

PARIS

THE CHATELET

Box Office - +33 (0)1 40 28 28 40

Tickets on sale now

http://www.chatelet-theatre.com

Looks like Gareth will sing quite a few times with others and a few by himself.

Act I

Overture - Orchestra

Prologue: Work Song - Chain Gang

Prologue: Valjean Arrested/Valjean Forgiven - Policemen and Bishop

Prologue: What Have I Done? - Valjean

At the End of the Day - Poor, Foreman, Workers, Factory Girls, Fantine, Valjean

I Dreamed a Dream - Fantine

Lovely Ladies - Sailors, Old Woman, Fantine, Crone, Whores, Pimp

Cart Crash - Townspeople, Valjean, Fauchelevant, Javert

Who Am I? - Valjean

Fantine's Death: Come to Me - Fantine and Valjean

Confrontation - Javert and Valjean

Castle on a Cloud - Young Cosette, Madame Thénardier

Master of the House - Thénardier, Madame Thénardier, and Chorus

Thénardier Waltz - Thénardier, Valjean, Madame Thénardier, Young Cosette

Look Down - Beggars, Gavroche, Old Woman, Prostitute, Pimp, Enjolras, Marius

Stars - Javert

Little People - Gavroche and Poor

ABC Cafe / Red and Black - Students, Enjolras, Marius, Grantaire, Gavroche

Do You Hear the People Sing? - Enjolras, Students, Beggars

Love Montage: I Saw Him Once/In My Life/A Heart Full of Love - Marius, Cosette, Éponine

Plumet Attack - Thénardier, Thieves, Éponine, Marius, Valjean, Cosette

One Day More - Valjean, Marius, Cosette, Éponine, Enjolras, Javert, Thénardier, Madame Thénardier, Company

Act II

At the Barricade (Upon These Stones) - Enjolras, Javert, Marius, Éponine, Valjean

On My Own - Éponine

Building the Barricade (Upon These Stones) - Enjolras, Students, Army Officer

Javert's Arrival - Javert, Enjolras

Little People - Gavroche, Students, Enjolras, Javert

A Little Fall of Rain - Éponine, Marius

Night of Anguish - Enjolras, Valjean, Students

The First Attack - Enjolras, Students, Valjean, Javert

Drink With Me - Grantaire, Students, Women, Marius

Bring Him Home - Valjean

Dawn of Anguish - Enjolras, Students

The Second Attack (Death of Gavroche) - Enjolras, Marius, Valjean, Gavroche, Students

The Final Attack - Army Officer, Enjolras, Students

The Sewers - Orchestra

Dog Eat Dog (The Sewers) - Thénardier

Javert's Suicide - Valjean, Javert

Turning - Women

Empty Chairs at Empty Tables - Marius

Every Day (Marius and Cosette) - Marius, Cosette, Valjean

Valjean's Confession - Marius, Valjean

Wedding Chorale - Guests, Thénardier, Marius, Madame Thénardier

Beggars at the Feast - Thénardier, Madame Thénardier

Valjean's Death - Valjean, Fantine, Cosette, Marius, Éponine

Finale - Full Company

This is what Cameron Mackintosh has to say (in the 10th anniversary CD) about the opening night of Les Miserables:

The opening night of Les Miserables at the Barbican Theatre on October 8th 1985 was one of those extraordinary occasions when against all odds a theatrical alchemy took place that made everyone forget the years of work and months of rehersal - racing against the clock- that went into adapting Hugo's sweeping masterpiece for this musical stage.

After only a week of previews the show simply soared and both the audience and the cast were elevated to a state of powerful emotion rarely seen in the theatre. Back in 1982, when I first heard the French concept album, a dream of what the show could be flashed through my mind - that dream was fulfilled beyond my expectations.

Intoxicated by the events of the evening I rushed off to Fleet Street to get the papers. One of the first I read said "Les Miserables has sadly, been reduced to The Glums" and my heart sank. I couldn't reconcile the sense of uplift and exhilaration I had witnessed in the theatre with these words.

Many of the other papers were equally dismissive but a few critics came out fighting in the show's defence. Later, many more of their colleagues joined in with their appreciation of the show's qualities. But that bleak day after the opening left me poleaxed.

About mid-day I thought I would get all the bad news out of the way and ring the box office to find out how badly the reviews had affected the ticket sales. I was greeted with an incredulous box office manager who wondered how I had managed to get through as they had been beseiged, having already sold a record- breaking 5000 seats that morning. I was stunned.

The public had just voted with its feet. Without any media hype or any mass marketing the public was able to see in Lis Miserables what many a professional scribe could not. For me it was a great lesson in the real power of word of mouth and the often under appreciated sense of perception of the public. Ironically, the musical's reception in London almost mirrored that of the original publication in Paris, of Hugo's masterpiece.

Since then Les Miserables has been performed and loved all over the world. One of the least likely subject matters for a popular muscial of all time. But is it?

Think we may all need a few tissues.

Nice announcement from the local press in Norwich

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/news/...3A57%3A25%3A090

Gareth Gates heads to Norwich in Les Mis

JON WELCH

Last updated: 30/06/2009 05:57:00

Multi-million-selling pop star Gareth Gates, who became a West End success in Joseph, is to star in the world tour of Les Misérables which reaches Norwich Theatre Royal next year.

Gates, 24, will play Marius in the brand new 25th anniversary production of the world's longest-running musical, which comes to Norwich from February 16 to March 10.

The singer shot to fame in 2002 in the first series of Pop Idol. Despite finishing runner-up to Will Young, he was signed by Simon Cowell's BMG label and went on to become a top-selling artist whose version of Unchained Melody is still the second- best-selling single of this decade.

Gates also proved he could cut it on the West End stage in the title role of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, as well as showing off his athleticism by reaching the semi-finals of Dancing on Ice.

He is one of three performers confirmed for the cast of the show. The lead role of Jean Valjean will be played by Broadway and West End star John Owen Jones, who was recently hailed by the New York Post as the best actor to play the role in many years.

Earl Carpenter has also been signed to play the part of Javert following on from his acclaimed performances in the same role in the West End.

He is no stranger to leading roles in the West End, having played the devilish Daryl Van Horn in The Witches of Eastwick.

John Bultitude, of Norwich Theatre Royal, said: "We are really excited to welcome Gareth Gates to the theatre to the first time. He has gained wide acclaim for his role as Joseph and his on-stage ability must have impressed Cameron Mackintosh, allowing him to win a part in such a major tour.

"He will also be appearing opposite two fantastic West End performers and the news of the latest casting will help to encourage even more people to come to Norwich to experience a true theatrical event.

"We are delighted that Norwich is really being put on the map as one of the key UK venues for such a highly anticipated tour of such a lavish musical."

About 13,000 seats have already been sold for the show's visit to the city. As well as bookings from across East Anglia, theatre staff have also had inquiries from people from London and Kent.

The theatre will be hosting the tour alongside some of the country's biggest venues including Cardiff's Millennium Centre, Manchester's historic Palace Theatre, Birmingham Hippodrome and the Edinburgh Playhouse before the show heads abroad, starting with performances at Paris's Chatelet Theatre in late May 2010.

The musical has already been seen by over 56 million people worldwide in 42 different countries and performed in 21 languages. The magnificent score includes the songs I Dreamed A Dream, On My Own, Bring Him Home and Do You Hear The People Sing.