Les Mis reports - Manchester

Maggiemags

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What fantastic pics Suzy and Chantel - you must be thrilled with them, thanks for sharing :) And for all the reports too - great to read.

I couldn't post last night because, to be honest I couldn't really find the words. I'd not particualrly been looking forward to it - other than the fact it was all about Gareth because, much like Snowdrop I'd seen it before and hadn't really cared for it. Indeed, I thought it was all over at the end of the first half and was all set to go home. However, the presence of our main man plus a little more understanding of the story and familiarity with the songs made a huge difference.

I thought the sets, projections, colours and lighting (although a bit too dark for me at times) were fabulous. It was like a trip around an art gallery - scene upon scene looked like a familiar painting - beautifully done.

Not a huge fan of Fantine I have to say - she just didn't do it for me. I felt she sang under the note if not right off it more than once and whilst Snowdrop thinks that was a direction choice I felt it was wrong. Eponine looked and sounded too modern for the production in my opinion although I thought she was terrific - it just didn't seem to fit. JOJ isn't really my cup of tea, but I recognise that he does what he does VERY well. I saw someone else somewhere commenting that Katie Hall (Cosette) was perhaps a little too old-school for the production and certainly, whilst she sang beautifully, again it didn't seem to quite chime with the rest of the show. I've also seen a fair amount of criticism of the Thenardiers, but personally I thought they were flawless. M. Thenardier is a hateful although wonderfully comedic character (a la Fagin in 'Oliver!') and she's not much better, but bawdies it up in style - terrific.

The audience absolutely lapped it up with the people on either side of us in tears at the end and a thundering standing ovation from the whole house at the end.

I'm sure there was something else I wanted to comment on, but can't just bring it to mind at the moment.

Oh, yes! Gareth!! :tongue: :D

His performance is what I couldn't find the words for last night. What an utter joy to hear him singing live again. His voice has matured beyond any expectations. It's wonderfully rich and he has such control. His diction is clear and he hits every note perfectly. I can listen to him 24/7 any day of the week (can't we all?), but now! Wow. It's just beautiful. His acting is terrific and again, surpasses anything I've seen before from him. It's clear he's never fired a gun in his life :wink:, but you can forgive him that every single time he opens his mouth. He kisses women far too much for my liking :D and there's way too much touching going on, but Oh. My. God. - I can even forgive all that. Plus - he looks absolutely gorgeous. :wub: Those of you who have yet to go have such a treat in store that I'm envious of every single one of you - you're going to love it. Cameron Mackintosh is right - the guy is a gift to musical theatre.

There was a definite frisson around us when he appeared on stage. It rippled through the circle and made it even more exciting. A couple of people behind us didn't know who he was which resulted in a complete history of PI1 from the guy with them, complete with an explanation about his stammer and the fact that it disappears when he sings - they seemed impressed :) There was lots of chatter about him at the interval and on the way out, but we couldn't catch any of it. However, we went for dinner in the restaurant across the road from the theatre and the waiter told us that there had been lots of excitement about him from the customers which was lovely to hear. By the way - we'd highly recommend it as somewhere to go for a pre-show meal. It's called Felicini and is directly opposite the theatre. They recommend you book - the number is 0161 228 6633. Really very good.

All in all a fabulous couple of evenings. I'm still not a fan of the show - they could completely cut the first hour for me :wink: , but I'm a bigger fan of Gareth's than ever if that's possible. He was amazing. Bring on the Barbican! *Crosses fingers and toes*

Thank you so very much for your fantastic and detailed report Maggiemags, I so love to read it all and I am so looking forward to seeing it myself. I worry that something might happen to prevent me going. Or that Gareth might not be there just when I am going, lol

But it all sound wonderful, and I love all the snippets what other people have said. Maybe the people who needed explaining who he was might have been foreign?

Thanks for your very intesting report Maggie. Its nice to read other peoplse perspectives on the show and I do somewhat agree with you as regards Fantine. She was the one I least enjoyed the time I went, but perhaps seeing it next time I may see it differently.

Good to hear about the Buzz Gareth is causing in and around the theatre. I don't know how much better and stronger his voice can get. Its truly amazing how he's managed to improve on what we thought was perfection. :heart:

Can't wait to go to see the show again in March.

Not sure where to put this, but its a nice article about this little girl who has got a part in Manchester

http://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/news/48...ion_of_Les_Mis/

Like this bit

“She went down to Cardiff to see the tour there and see Gareth Gates. It was only then that she saw how big it was.

Just arrived home after a fabulous, fantastic night. I have seen Les Miserables several times in Manchester and in London and it has always been my favourite musical by far. I was just a tiny bit apprehensive about whether I would mind some of the changes but I just loved every single minute of it. The whole cast is wonderful - I don't think I could find any weakness in it at all. The staging is beautiful, the music, the powerful emotion of it all... and as for Gareth, he was fantastic.

Quite apart from his beautiful voice, he more than holds his own and what a privilege for him to be working alongside John Owen Jones. I thought he was a great Marius, so handsome and sensitive. Before the performance I heard a man sitting behind me ( who had seen several other productions of Les Mis ) say he didn't think Gareth would be strong enough for the part - but at the interval I heard him say several times how impressed he was with Gareth and how he had suprised him at how good he was.

I think I can honestly say that it was the best show I have ever seen - I am lucky that I am going again in the last week here in Manchester and again in Salford. I can't wait.

Forgot to say they got a well deserved standing ovation. Will post any other bits as they come to me - my mind is still in a whirl!

I love your report Judy, it's great! it's lovely that Joe public is being won over by Gareth isn't it? I am so proud.

2 reviews from Manchester posted on the WOS site.

The stand-outs for me were John Own Jones, Earl Carpenter as expected, but also Gareth Gates' Marius was fantastic. It was like the part was written for him, and I can understand Cammack being so adamant he was given the job based on talent
I'm not actually a fan of the musical myself, i think it's a hugely overrated score but i did think John Owen Jones, Katie Hall and Gareth Gates were all fantastic - Gareth a big surprise.. and Earl Carpenter very good too.

Anyone going next week may be lucky enough to be there when the live recording is made. Found this on WOS

Went on Saturday and thought it was absolutely amazing. Have to say I preferred it to the London production, and the cast is the best I've ever seen. People seem divided on Madalena Alberto but I wasn't let down by her performance at all - agreed she doesn't have the strongest of voices (although I prefer her voice to all London Fantine's post Kerry), but she seems to put so much emotion into her performance. Very convincing during the death scene.

If I had to pick out a part that I found disappointing (relative to the rest of the show) I'd have to say Master of the House. Lynne and Ashley's voices seemed quite week here and the song as a whole seemed to lack the jovality that one expects. At this point in the show I didn't think I was going to like these two, but I felt there performances really improved in the second act.

Can't wait to see it again at the Lowry in August.

BTW was told at the stage door that the live recording was to be laid down 'next week' (that was on Saturday).

Thanks Val, good to know they record the cd soon.

Interesting snippet in Nats report on the OS,

He's in it from the beginning but in the background (I asked him) I noticed him as a guard and Ben noticed him as the prisoner from the beginning but apparently hes in lots of scenes.

Will certainly look out for him when I go. :D

I was surprised when I read Natalie's report. Can't believe no-one else has noticed him earlier in the show.

Lainyt has posted a couple of really nice reports on the OS. The first one is taken from the Michael Ball fan site so a real endorsment for Gareth

Well, I'm back now from my wonderful musical day in Manchester.

What can I say about Les Mis? Well, I have always loved the show and didn't see how it could be improved, but it has! The scenery is fantastic. No revolve but lots of great pieces. The use of projections onto the backdrop was really clever, especially in the sewer scene, although just once it did induce a little of the "Woman in White dizziness".

The orchestrations have been altered too. So much more sound, from a larger orchestra. Wonderful wall of sound, but not so loud as to drown the cast. Some of the scenes are in different settings, and these add to the story telling wonderfully, although the opening is a little different from what Hugo depicted! Dramatic licence I suppose, and it does work well.

A real eye opener was Gareth Gates as Marius. He was excellent, both singing and acting. To say I didn't need to recall the original is an understatement. I spoke to him both before and after the show. He seems to have his stutter well under control at the moment.

I also chatted to John OJ after the show. He was as usual, awe - inspiring in the show. I'm still convinced he is the best Jean Val Jean I have ever seen, and I 've been watching Les Mis for nigh on 25 years. He is so loving the new format too. That is what induced him to go back to a show he said he would never return to. It really is that good. I just wish I could get to see it again.

I saw it in Manchester too and was ready for an okay version with a fantastic cast, well I was right about the cast but WOW the show was actually better than the West End version. Gareth Gates was the best Marius I've seen and JOJ was his usual amazing self. The only bit I didn't like was Gavroche's death now taking place off stage as you lose that very dramatic momement. But that aside the rest of it is AMAZING

Was lucky enough to see both Broadway versions (though the revival stunk so lucky isn't the right word!! Sorry JOJ, you were brilliant but everything else about it was dreadful) and seen the West End version more times than I dare admit and I will say GET ALONG TO THE TOUR

Fab reports, and I'm so pleased at how many other people have nothing but praise for Gareth. It's a joy to realise that we aren't bonkers after all! :frantics:

By the way, the people behind us who didn't know who Gareth was were British, but they didn't know who anyone or anything was, much to the annoyance of the man who was trying to impress them with his knowledge! :laugh: They were just slightly older people who don't follow popular culture, and obviously don't watch tv on Saturday nights, or read tabloids or the celeb magazines. There are a lot of people like that out there, and I doubt my parents would know who Gareth was if I hadn't forced them to watch Dancing on Ice when he was on it! :tongue:

However, an important detail, when he was talking about Gareth he said that what they wouldn't know was that he had a very severe stutter, and could hardly speak, but sings beautifully. They seemed to agree with this (it was during the interval).