Les Mis reports - Manchester

Maggiemags

I wasn't suprised when I saw him cos I werent sure where he was meant to enter, but then when I saw his character I was like hold on he werent meant to be there, and so nice for Gareth to confirm it, he did looked suprised when I mentioned it, I'm happy that I'm one of the first to spot it now people can start looking out :D

Some great comments from people, amazing :D

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Review of the show from Manchester Confidential.

Les Misérables review

Sarah Tierney watches Gareth Gates sing his way through a storm of emotions at the Palace Theatre

Date Published: 27/01/2010

Les Misérables is one of those productions that people refer to as a phenomenon. It's got its own army of fans, its own nickname, and its own set of superlatives: longest-running, best-loved, most-performed and so on. It's celebrating its twenty-fifth anniversary this year with an all-new production that has just landed at the Palace Theatre. On Thursday night, the audience gave the phenomenon a phenomenal reception: a standing ovation swept across the stalls. Everything about Les Mis, including the audience reaction, is done on an amplified scale. It's both the strength and the weakness of this production.

The story is taken from Victor Hugo's novel about the lives of French down-and-outs during the turbulent times leading up to the Paris Uprising of 1832. It opens with convict Jean Valjean (John Owen-Jones) being freed on parole after 19 years of forced labour for stealing a loaf of bread. Beating his chest and clenching his fists, he sings of his woe: although he's free, the official papers he must show employers condemn him as a thief. It's only when a bishop gives him a second chance that he turns his life around.

Next time we see Jean Valjean, it's eight years later and he's transformed himself from sinner to saint – he's a mayor, a local hero, and a wealthy businessman. Extreme changes in fortune characterise Les Misérables: one of the girls in Jean Valjean's factory, Fantine (Madalena Alberto) goes from hard-working, virtuous mother to desperate, degraded whore. Her daughter, Cosette (Katie Hall) is transformed from an unloved orphan to a rich young lady. Her childhood companion, Éponine (Rosalind James), isn't so lucky: once an indulged child, she ends up as a street urchin, in love with the student Marius (Gareth Gates) who loves the once-maligned Cosette.

It's an epic story that packs in all the big emotions: anger, love, grief, guilt, hair-clutching despair. Every scene is a big scene. From the opening number, you're caught within a force-ten storm of sentiments, which is fantastic in one sense – nobody goes to a musical looking for subtlety.

But in another sense, it risks having the opposite effect to what it intends. All that anguish left me feeling largely unmoved, mainly because it is all turned up to the same level: eleven. There's no build-up in this production – we're in finale mode from the off. And there's no holding back: songs such as 'On My Own', which are stirring when performed simply and with restraint, are belted out diva-style as if designed to wow the judges of X Factor. It means that some of the power of Les Misérables is lost. The actors might be able to sustain that degree of emotion for two and a half hours, but the audience is in danger of becoming detached.

The standing ovation suggests that many people would not agree – and there are elements of this production that are certainly successful. The chorus numbers such as 'At the End of the Day' are great, and Gareth Gates shows off the expressive voice that pinned us to our sofas when he reached the finals of Pop Idol. Ashley Artus and Lynne Wilmot who play the nefarious innkeeper Thénardier and his bawdy wife are another highlight – their opening number 'Master of the House' is a rousing, comedy delight.

This production has a spectacular, larger-than-life feel, with sets and costumes as big as the performances. Madame Thénardier, for example, seems to have balloons for breasts and Little Cosette (Nikia Attard) wields a sweeping brush that must be twice her size. It all adds up to a vivid, dramatic musical that will impress you, even if it doesn't move you. Fans of Les Mis won't crown this version their favourite, but they certainly won't be disappointed.

The same review also pops up on Liverpool Confidential.

From a blogger here.

Les Miserables

Last Saturday night I went to the theatre to see Les Miserables, I'd never seen it before, and all I can say is it was absolutely fantastic! The music and singing was amazing, a really great evening out.

Pop Idol Gareth Gates played Marius, I was never a fan of him (not being a fan of reality shows in general) but he really does have an amazing voice and was very very good.

If you get a chance, GO GO GO!

Plus a few tweets:

would you believe gareth gates was the best in les mis tonight!
- @cmriddiough
Hey guys! Interval time. @johnowenjones and Gareth Gates are brilliant!!
- @jowivipe
I went to see it last Thursday. It was excellent. Very impressed with Gareth Gates performance.
- @mistywestie
Gareth Gates was fab in Les Mis totally made my Birthday :0)
- @Charlie6772

Still overwhelmed by this amazing response to him - if only all these people had been more open-minded before! :D

Thanks Maggie. Its hard to get your head around the amount of this praise Gareth is getting. Although we've always known he's brilliant, the fact he's been able to convert so many people on the strength of one role is mind-blowing. It will be very interesting to see how much his credibility will have been raised by the end of the year.

A few tweets from @SJHalliwell starting with:

At les miserables sat in the gods. Gareth gates as marius!?

And developing into:

Surprise of the nite is mr gates in les mis!
So Les Mis is still fab and Gates a hit
@Gareth_Gates show was fab - really enjoyed after a few years without a LesMis fix!

:D:D:D

A few more lovely comments on the Palace Theatre Faceboook Review page

Maureen Ann Heggie WOW sign me up for the Gareth Gates fan club! Congratulations to the whole cast and production team!
Charlotte Withnell Absolutely brilliant! Gareth Gates and all the cast were fantastic. Everyone was spellbound, you could hear a pin drop. Well deserved standing ovation.

and I particularly love this one :heart:

Karen Heath Les Miserables was amazing. The whole cast and orchestra were exceptional, especially the rendition of On My Own. I have seen Les Mis a few times now and this performance is one of only 2 that has brought me to tears. I started to sob when Eponine fell at the barricades and carried on until the end! I admit I had my reservations regarding the casting of a certain Mr Gates as Marius. I did wonder if he would be able to manage. He did - and far exceeded my expectations. I apologise Gareth, I thought you would struggle - you did not. All the way through the quality of the music and singing and acting came together for an oustanding performance of an outstanding and amazing evening. Thank you all so very much. The audience were held attentive and spellbound all the way through, you could tell by the lack of the usual sweet wrappers being opened. A special mention too must go to the scenery guys. The backdrops were the best I had seen - even out doing the London production in my opinion. The whole thing came together beautifully.
Eileen Smith Saw Les Mis again last night, was another brilliant performance, definitely approve of the changes from when I saw it last time it toured and Gareth's voice was impressive! I loved the changes to the sewer scenes and Javert's suicide and the singing from all the lead cast was breath-taking...would love to go again :)

I admit I had my reservations regarding the casting of a certain Mr Gates as Marius. I did wonder if he would be able to manage. He did - and far exceeded my expectations. I apologise Gareth, I thought you would struggle - you did not

Wow - loving that bit Val - thanks for posting.

Maggiemags I loved your report. It made me smile loads and envious of others going, loads.

What fantastic pics Suzy and Chantel - you must be thrilled with them, thanks for sharing :) And for all the reports too - great to read.

I couldn't post last night because, to be honest I couldn't really find the words. I'd not particualrly been looking forward to it - other than the fact it was all about Gareth because, much like Snowdrop I'd seen it before and hadn't really cared for it. Indeed, I thought it was all over at the end of the first half and was all set to go home. However, the presence of our main man plus a little more understanding of the story and familiarity with the songs made a huge difference.

I thought the sets, projections, colours and lighting (although a bit too dark for me at times) were fabulous. It was like a trip around an art gallery - scene upon scene looked like a familiar painting - beautifully done.

Not a huge fan of Fantine I have to say - she just didn't do it for me. I felt she sang under the note if not right off it more than once and whilst Snowdrop thinks that was a direction choice I felt it was wrong. Eponine looked and sounded too modern for the production in my opinion although I thought she was terrific - it just didn't seem to fit. JOJ isn't really my cup of tea, but I recognise that he does what he does VERY well. I saw someone else somewhere commenting that Katie Hall (Cosette) was perhaps a little too old-school for the production and certainly, whilst she sang beautifully, again it didn't seem to quite chime with the rest of the show. I've also seen a fair amount of criticism of the Thenardiers, but personally I thought they were flawless. M. Thenardier is a hateful although wonderfully comedic character (a la Fagin in 'Oliver!') and she's not much better, but bawdies it up in style - terrific.

The audience absolutely lapped it up with the people on either side of us in tears at the end and a thundering standing ovation from the whole house at the end.

I'm sure there was something else I wanted to comment on, but can't just bring it to mind at the moment.

Oh, yes! Gareth!! :tongue: :D

His performance is what I couldn't find the words for last night. What an utter joy to hear him singing live again. His voice has matured beyond any expectations. It's wonderfully rich and he has such control. His diction is clear and he hits every note perfectly. I can listen to him 24/7 any day of the week (can't we all?), but now! Wow. It's just beautiful. His acting is terrific and again, surpasses anything I've seen before from him. It's clear he's never fired a gun in his life :wink:, but you can forgive him that every single time he opens his mouth. He kisses women far too much for my liking :D and there's way too much touching going on, but Oh. My. God. - I can even forgive all that. Plus - he looks absolutely gorgeous. :wub: Those of you who have yet to go have such a treat in store that I'm envious of every single one of you - you're going to love it. Cameron Mackintosh is right - the guy is a gift to musical theatre.

There was a definite frisson around us when he appeared on stage. It rippled through the circle and made it even more exciting. A couple of people behind us didn't know who he was which resulted in a complete history of PI1 from the guy with them, complete with an explanation about his stammer and the fact that it disappears when he sings - they seemed impressed :) There was lots of chatter about him at the interval and on the way out, but we couldn't catch any of it. However, we went for dinner in the restaurant across the road from the theatre and the waiter told us that there had been lots of excitement about him from the customers which was lovely to hear. By the way - we'd highly recommend it as somewhere to go for a pre-show meal. It's called Felicini and is directly opposite the theatre. They recommend you book - the number is 0161 228 6633. Really very good.

All in all a fabulous couple of evenings. I'm still not a fan of the show - they could completely cut the first hour for me :wink: , but I'm a bigger fan of Gareth's than ever if that's possible. He was amazing. Bring on the Barbican! *Crosses fingers and toes*

P.S. I think you ought to ditch the day job and become a reviewer. You are way better than some we have read.

Maggiemags I loved your report. It made me smile loads and envious of others going, loads.

P.S. I think you ought to ditch the day job and become a reviewer. You are way better than some we have read.

Aww, shucks :blush: Thank you. I think we all make a pretty good team - and we can certainly knock spots off most of them out there!