Les Mis reports - Manchester

Maggiemags

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Chantel,loved reading your report,lucky you seeing it 3 times.

I;m going again on Saturday can't believe it's the last night. Manchester,has been fun with lots of reports,reviews and twitters,lets hope we get the same from Norwich. :thumbsup:

Somebody who went yesterday to Manchester.

Post 9Sophie Bowns (Barrow Sixth Form College) wrote14 hours ago

omg i saw it last night

the whole thing was beautiful. Fantines death really got to me!All the leads were outstanding, John owen Jones singing just blows your mind doesn't it? Gareth Gates was superb and was so beautiful on stage. Really graceful and so suited to play marius his singing was marvelous and 'empty chairs at empty tables' was my favourite version and moved me to tears.

A little fall or rain was sooo sad. Gareth Gates was basically pinning Rosalind James(eponine) down on the stage to stop her from writhing in agony!

I cannot believe I met the majority of the cast& had pictures with them including Gareth Gates which was purley by chance. wow! he is a beautiful person x This beat any london production hands down 4 me i cant wait for the CD!

Went to the show for the second time on Saturday afternoon. The show was fabulous Gareth was excellent.

He just gets better and better if that is at all possible and he is so gorgeous :heart:

Carnt wait until the Lowry but seems such a long time away :shocked:

Thanks everyone yeah was very lucky to get to see it so many times anyone waiting still so worth it. :smile: Really understand the show now for sure but sadly Wednesday was my last night seeing the show wishing I booked for august now. :thumbsup: Thanks dorral for bring that report across loved reading it seemed like she was so impressed with the show and Chris glad you enjoyed yourself on Saturday too and is good that you have another show to look forward too. :smile:

Thanks for your reports Chantel and Chris.

Loving the photos too.

I am fortunate to be going again to Birmingham and can't wait to see the production from the Stalls, where I will be able to see the faces (I had to do a lot of squinting and guessing at Cardiff) so was interesting to read your view on it.

Chris. Lucky you going to see Gareth again and at the Lowry. It will come round sooner than you think.

Brilliant, isn't it.

Based on what the cast are saying on twitter they seem to have a lot on this week. It seems as if they are preparing themselves for the different theatre next week, and filming the scenes for the international advertising - with several of them complaining about the early starts! Glad to know it's not just Gareth! :tongue: :laugh:

On Les Mis Facebook

Natasha Strickland Gareth Gates - WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!! Extremly surprised. wtf happened to his angel voice????? Wanna thank JOJ for his SUPERB version of bring him home. werent keen on fantines voice but it wasnt bad xxxxxx

Agree with the WOW! WOW!'s :laugh:

I went to my second performance in Manchester last night and enjoyed it just as much as the first time on opening night. I managed to spot Gareth in a couple of extra roles but he was very well disguised! I thought he was even more self assured and confident than the first performance and I thought the scene with Eponine's death was so moving.His voice, as always ,was fantastic - no hint of a sore throat. Just loved every moment of it and could happily go every night - sadly I have to wait until August!!!!!

No mention of Gaz, but a nice review nonetheless from a blogger here:

Tuesday, 9 February 2010

Les Miserables

I've just gotten back from watching Les Miserables at the Palace Theatre.

I adore going to the theatre, whether its Opera, Musicals, Ballet, Shakespeare...Anything on stage. I love it. So going to see Les Mis has been something I've wanted for a while. I used to watch a VHS my grandma had of a performance of it. I used to love watching it, but I had forgotten the storyline. I was over the moon to get tickets for Christmas.

We had really good seats, right in the middle, with a clear view of the stage and I was incredibly impressed. The way they used the stage, the props, the singing...I was hooked from the moment the lights lowered.

I was laughing and crying and cheering along the whole way through. The actors were amazing.

It was so good the whole theatre was on its feet at the end. I've been told its like that every night they've been there. I've never seen a show like it.

I just want to go see it again!

xxClairexx

A Tweet from SophieDownend at 10.28pm last night:

Les Mis was fab last night-Gareth Gates' as Marius was a great performance, as well as all the male leads, who really stole the show 4 me!

From the Lancashire Telegraph

Musical review: Les Misérables @ Palace Theatre, Manchester

5:21pm Friday 29th January 2010

By Joanne Rowe

AFTER 25 years you might expect this hit show to be showing its age — not a bit of it.

This new touring production of the musical which captivated audiences is still as fresh as the day it was born, with the power to wring the emotions and allow the audience to steep itself in awesome music and stunning sets.

The reputation of this show is such that it was sold out almost immediately tickets went on sale.

It cannot be easy maintaining extraordinary levels of acting and singing in a show which has become well known over quarter of a century.

But there is no complacency here. Les Mis stalwart John Owen-Jones has been brought in for the pivotal role of reformed convict Jean Valjean, a part he has played repeatedly in London, Broadway and one previous visit of the show to Manchester.

He is utterly, utterly brilliant, striking just the right note of strength and humility, while thrilling with his achingly beautiful voice.

A show like Les Mis needs no celebrity television stars to boost its appeal, and I must admit I was sceptical when I discovered Pop Idol runner-up Gareth Gates was to play the student Marius, with whom Valjean’s adopted daughter Cosette falls in love.

But the once fresh-faced teen heartthrob does not disappoint. He has matured into a performer of stature, taking his place among the best who have played the part in the past.

Playing opposite him as the lovely Cosette is another familiar television talent show contestant, Katie Hall, who was in the final round of the show to find a Eurovision entry, Your Country Needs You. She brought a dignified sweetness to the part which never tipped into over-sugary sweetness.

Not a single performance in this show was below par, and when all the elements were combined it constituted an amazing evening’s entertainment, well worthy of the lengthy standing ovation it received.

Until February 13.