Songs from Maidstone

GPG MY IDOL

Sweet Child of Mine is quite breathtakingly gorgeous sung this way.

Isn't it just? I've always loved the song, and have heard the original so many times, but never sung like that. I always think it's a sign of a great song that it can be turned around and work in a different style, but I'm not sure how well that version would work with any old singer. Gareth manages to inject so much soul and beauty into each note and bring new meaning to the words. Love it. :wub:

It really made me want to see Gareth doing something similar for myself.

(I've always been fairly ambivalent about Africa, but again, Gareth injects something special)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Snowdrop for the correct title "Mr Brightside"

I am sorry I made a bit of hash with the recording of "Sweet Child of Mine" as it seems to be a lot of peoples favourite, "so far". I hope people don't mind me leaving Gareth's chit chat between songs in,I didn't get everything he said recorded, but what I did I left in as I think it adds to the magic of that evening.

My favourite and the most beautiful song that Gareth sang (in my opinion) is "Set Me Free" but when I Googled "Set Me Free" to get the lyrics the song that Gareth sang didn't come up, so if anyone knows the correct title please let me know.

I've just googled the lyrics, as it wasn't a song I knew, and it comes up with "Gravity" by Sara Bareilles. :D

lyrics here

I'll update the name of that file too! :thumbsup:

BTW, I love the chat. It adds to the atmosphere, and please don't worry about the recordings not being perfect. It gives us a flavour as to it was like, and inspires me to go and see him do it for myself.

I've just googled the lyrics, as it wasn't a song I knew, and it comes up with "Gravity" by Sara Bareilles. :D

lyrics here

I'll update the name of that file too! :thumbsup:

BTW, I love the chat. It adds to the atmosphere, and please don't worry about the recordings not being perfect. It gives us a flavour as to it was like, and inspires me to go and see him do it for myself.

Thank Snowdrop your a star, I shall go edit IPod, CD and Album on computer :lol::)

SNOWDROP PLEASE DON'T UPLOAD "MORE THAN WORDS" UNTIL I SEND YOU ANOTHER FILE I WAS JUST CHECKING THE TITLE GOOGLING THE LYRICS AND REALISED I MISSED HALF THE SONG, I KNEW I HADN'T STOPPED THE RECORDING IN THE MIDDLE, SO CHECKED THE ORIGINAL VIDEO, I HAVE IT ALL MUST HAVE OVER LAPPEED THE VIDEO FILES WHEN I CONVERTED IT, WILL EMAIL IT TO YOU ASAP.

Firstly June, I'm so glad you left the bits of Gareth speaking in between the songs. Its such a treat to be able to hear him speaking like that and makes it seem more like I was there on the night.

This is such a feast of Gareth enjoyment. :wub:

Loved Gravity, brought goosebumps up and it was beautiful to be able to hear Angel On My Shoulder. Think I liked it better than Gareth's single of it. I have to say though His Eye Is On The Sparrow, is my absolute favourite so far. It sounded so different yet if anything better than the way he sang it on The Big Sing :wub: Could definitely feel the Jazz influence on Seventeen and how beautifully did he sing it.

I'll say once again many thanks to both of you for making it possible for us to hear these beautiful songs from Gareth.

I love "His Eye is on the Sparrow" but I think I like it more with the Orchestra on The Big sing :)

JUst converting "More Than Words" again,I seemed to have lost about a minute of first time :0

I am editing some video to put on You Tube :) it won't be full songs as I recorded it all but didn't film it all, couldn't hold the camera up the whole hour and even when I did I must of moved and lost Gareth. I have just edited "Gravity" and I have the first 2 minutes of the song. Ben says he'll help me upload it later :)

You girls are stars. Thank you so much June and Snowdrop. What a treat this is. I won't be able to attend a gig from where I am so this is so appreciated. Love 'Sparrow' but then that is one of my favourites anyway. Also love Gravity, song I don't know. Got the lyrics written in front of me and listening to him singing is amazing. Also love 'Child of mine'. The pianist is good and 'Seventeen' is a song I am familiar with, but it has a jazz slant to it here. Great stuff. xx

At seventeen is amazing. Anyone catch what he says about Liane Carroll at the start of that one? She's amazing and I think that he might be singing her arrangement of it (possibly)

I couldn't quite make out what he was saying there, but now you've said that I think you could be right Floz.

Thank you June so much for recording these for us and thanks snowdrop for providing us with the downloads of the files. Just uploaded them to my ipod and now going to treat myself to a nice walk so will have peace to listen to them :)

Personally I didn't think that the guitar over powered Gareth when I was there, remember this was recorded on my camera not professionally (as you may have noticed :lol::) it could be it picked up the guitar more than Gareth's vocals. Every song he sang was ahhh, Gareth sounded amazing.

I thought Gareth said they had done a sound check may be I missed heard what he said.

I loved Gareth's version of "Your Sex is on Fire" and I wish I could have recorded it at Dartford as well, when Gareth sang it with the band it was even more amazing than it was at Maidstone, I am still hoping someone might have recorded it and they will upload it to You Tube. There was a lady in a wheelchair next to me who recorded lots of the acts, not sure how much she recorded of Gareth as once he came on I didn't look sideways until Gareth left the stage, I was chatting to her afterwards around the back and she gave me her name and I said I'd be in touch on FB. I will contact her soon as I get my videos sorted. I actually have more than I thought :)