Sponge Bob the Musical

Khelda

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reviews, sounds like a great show. 🙂

'This was also Gareth Gates' first run of shows as Squidward, having succumbed to injury for the Southampton leg of the tour. Gates' transition from pop star to musical theatre performer has been swift and with a clear love of the genre, it's a joy to see him perform. '

Just brilliant write up. 🙂

Thanks Khelda for that excerpt. The reviews of Gareth doing good are lovely to read. Gareth himself has just posted a link to an article in today's Daily Mail.

SPOILER

Don't Click the link if you don't want to see photos of Gareth as Squidward ( should you anticipate going to see the show)

Daily Mail Spoiler

(They also bring up his private life too)

22 hours ago, dorral said:

Thanks for the great reviews. As Gareth is not appearing in Manchester I won’t be seeing it.

Yes, same here. It's on in Blackpool with Gareth but after Doris and I travelled there to see him in Footloose and got the understudy instead, I won't do it again.  

Great that the reviews are so good,  hopefully more musical theatre for him in the future. 

Bromsgrove Standard 4****

Audience favourite Gareth Gates was unrecognisable in his performance of Squidward. Gates commanded the stage whenever he was on.

Lost in theatreland 3*** but yet another review wanting more of Squidward on stage

What cannot be faulted is the cast on stage. Everyone gets plenty of opportunities to show off their talent vocally and with some impressive choreography from Fabian Aloise. If anything it would have been nice to see more of the two celebrities in the cast; Gareth Gates as Squidward Q Tentacles and Divina De Campo as Sheldon J Plankton, who both shine as brightly as expected when given their moments (Squidward’s big tap number in Act 2 is certainly worth the wait!).

Birmingham Live

After the two hour performance, I left Birmingham Hippodrome with a huge smile on my face having loved every minute, and from the vocal standing ovation at the end it would appear that the rest of the audience felt the same. Mingling through families and fellow journalists on my way out, I was struck by how rare it is that a production can appeal to both young children and adults like myself, but this musical achieved that feat.

How lovely is this from Birmingham Live?

As Gareth leaves a cold wet Birmingham for warmer climes aboard the new ship Arvia we delight in this 'dazzling' review from a theatre blogger All That Dazzles

All That Dazzles 4****

This is just some of what he has to say:

A couple of star names have come together to take on some of these iconic characters. Pop Idol runner up Gareth Gates is delightful with his note-perfect turn as Squidward, enjoying a true showstopping moment with his big song and dance number ‘I’m Not A Loser’. 

Of course, there is one performance I haven’t mentioned yet – and that is for good reason. To step into the square pants of such an iconic character can’t be the easiest of tasks – you have to nail the voice, the mannerisms and essentially become the legendary sponge. This is no problem for Lewis Cornay who is astonishing in the role. Having seen Lewis in previous shows, I was already aware what a phenomenal talent he truly is – as Spongebob, he is better than ever. It can’t be underestimated how difficult it is to sing while doing an impersonation and not using your real voice. The way Lewis managed to blend the two was truly remarkable. Showcasing his beautiful vocals and unrivalled characterisation, his was a tour-de-force performance with impeccable comic timing. There really was nothing simple about his performance here – in fact, it was rather miraculous.

d63317_b5f7be624c1f44e19ff29103c00ac004~

Here Here to this!

It may have taken a while to come to the UK but The Spongebob Musical was truly worth the wait. This show is pure joy in theatre form – I struggle to think the last time I left the theatre with such a huge grin on my face. Not just one for the children or one for the Spongebob die-hard fans, this is a musical with something in it for everyone. Expertly staged and astonishingly performed (particularly the title role), Spongebob was a surprising delight and one I’ll be looking to catch again in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...