Report from Hyde Park Calling

Maggiemags

Snowdrop's just telephoned to say that he was brilliant! :) (Not that we expected anything else, obv)

I scribbled notes as she was talking and will do my best to decipher them as follows:

His performance was in one of the huge tents - good crowd and a great reception :) There were apparently quite a few fans there and plenty of interest from non-fans :) He sang an eight-song set:

• New Kid in Town
  • 19 Minutes (on the piano)
  • Afterglow (on the piano)
  • Lost in You
  • Can't Believe It's Over
  • AOMS
  • POTOS
  • Finishing with a rocky version of SITS which apparently went down really well with everyone singing along :D

It sounds as if it was absolutely amazing - wish I'd been able to go! Huge thanks to Snowdrop for reporting back so quickly :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats wonderful news, thanks Snowdrop for letting us know, as I have been on tenderhooks wondering about it.

Glad to hear you would have all kept dry.

The song list sounds impressive.

Thanks a lot for updating us so quickly and detailed. :cool: I'm happy that Gareth was well received there. :smile: I'm a little bit (???) envious of all who could attend his today's performance. :blush:

Thankyou Maggie and Snowdrop for being so quick in letting us know about Gareth at Hyde Park.

I have been "clock watching" all afternoon waiting,hoping and wishing that all went well for him.

Obviously it went brilliantly.I wish I could have be there but no way was it possible.But now I can relax knowing that all is going well for him and hopefully read more reports from other fans.

Guest GarethsHotChick

Thank You for posting a report from Snowdrop for us Maggie, I am REALLY pleased to hear that Gareth was given a great reception by both fans and non fans. The songs he sang sound BRILLIANT, Especially his rockier version of SITS.

Thank You to Snowdrop for sharing the report with us, I hope we get a lot more news soon. :smile:

Many thanks for the very prompt report from Hyde Park.

7 songs from the new album is brilliant and will hopefully generate sales from many who liked what they heard today.

Great to finish with an updated crowd pleasing singalong song like SITS that everyone knows.

Edits to say.....Looks like he sacked the idea of singing Living on A Prayer then!

That's such a relief. I received my 2 cd's today from Woolies (the album). It's really good, one is for my mum and dad as it is their 50th wedding anniversary next weekend, they are angles on my shoulder, so I thought it was apt as my mum loves Gareth. I have downloaded AOMS from Tesco and received the single (unsigned) from HMV, would love Drive but can't seem to download from itunes and my daughters Ipod is missing. Can I buy it anywhere else it is one of my favourite songs ever. Have been playing That's When you Know by Gareth, it touchs me, saddo that I am

I not long got back home, first walked the dogs, got us a take away on the way, eaten and now I am ready to give my report. :D

We got to HydePark around 2pm and had to que a long time to get into the kpark, it kept raining on and off. Was quite hot, so it went jacket on hood on, jacket off for about 1/2 hr. Then we got into the park and seen that the Pepsy stage was in a big tent holding about at a guess 1000-1500 people. We went in and seen some people from the boards already there right on the railing by the stage, but no one else. So only about 10 people in the tent. Have to say we were a bit worried if it would fill, with the main big open stage and lots other stuff going on out site. So we jokingly said we would hope the heavens would open with lots of rain when Gareth is on, so that people come in to shelter, lol

The first group on was quite good, had'not heard of them, but good singer and good songs. the tent filled up a bit, maybe half full for them, when they finished some people left. (there was about 20 min in between acts), the 2nd act (I think were more well knows, my guess american), the tent filled more was at least 3/4 full and lots of men kept jumping up and down to their very rocky music.

When they finished I looked and as before some people left, but I was surprised how many stayed.

My hubby suddenly caught a glimpe of Gareth on the side ( I did not see him), the stage hands sorted the instruments and as soon as I saw the keyboard in the front I knew Gareth would play it for some songs. :D

Before Gareth came on stage I looked around and seen the tent fill itself, then we seen the band come on and Gareth soon after and he got lots of cheers. By now the tent was packed (we had no need to worry really, lol)

He had on grey trousers, yellow trainers with yellow belt and tie (which you could only see glimpses of) with a black and white striped jumper.

He said hi and sat on the keyboards for 2 songs. He was fantastic :wub: , real strong voice and got lots of cheers from everyone. One girl shouted to him : I love you Gareth. And later when there was a bit quite in a song, a man did the same (probably for fun, he was with a few other men who probably wanted to check out what he was like), but they also were popping along to the music, so enjoyed it.

Gareth mentioned that all the songs he sang were from his new record out nest week. Then he said: Now I will sing an older song of mine, but going back to its roots, and he started Sits with a huge guitar riff, like the Doctor and the medics sang it. Everyone was even louder cheering, singing along, and he held out the whole stand with the mike for us to sing, lol At one guitar riff he went on his knees infront of Pete and gave praise like that for Pete's brilliant playing.

It was great and blooming fantastic, worth all the money. He went down real well and I think some people might have been surprised about him and his new music. :D

Oh forgot to say Gareth was sweating, it was so hot, and him having a jumper on, lol He said its so hot here, and kept wiping his sweat with a big white towel, which in Gareth fashion at the end he threw into the crowd, right next to me and a man jumped up and caught it. :laugh:

Guest GarethsHotChick

WOW Thank You for your BRILLIANT and very detailed report Khelda, It sounds like everyone who was at Hyde Park really enjoyed themselves. I am SO glad Gareth got big cheers from everyone and that the tent filled up, I'm am pleased Gareth had fun and a joke with Pete his guitarist. :smile:

Hi Khelda, thank you very much for your great report about an amazing event. :cool: I'm glad that all went well for Gareth and for the audience who obviously enjoyed his fantastic performance. :smile: Now I'm even more envious of all who could be there. :blush:

Whoooo!!!

Fab day. Gareth was truly brilliant!!! And a very good reception. I'd say there were a few thousand in the tent when he was on, and while I'm sure some turned up simply to see what on earth he was doing there, none of them were forced to stay and there were a lot of people who did! He got a great reception, and I'm sure a lot of people who went in interested, came out impressed. :heart:

I managed to record a couple of clips. The sound isn't great - I think I might have had my finger over the microphone :blush:

I've got SITS on YouTube.

I recorded New Kid in Town, which worked brilliantly to open the show. Unfortunately, the file is just too big for YouTube, so I'll have to work something out, but not today.

Guest GarethsHotChick

Thank You for the video of Gareth singing Spirit In The Sky Snowdrop, I :wub: how he has made it a rock version, Everyone seemed to :heart: him too which is GREAT. :D